Sinéad O'Connor (Official Thread)

Oblivion

Reaction score
Sinéad O'Connor
benotp_sineadoconnor1.jpg

Official Website

is an Irish singer-songwriter. She rose to fame in the late 1980s with her debut album The Lion and the Cobra and achieved worldwide success in 1990 with a cover of the song "Nothing Compares 2 U".
I'd rather ban myself then posting a youtube vid for nothing compares 2u :bonk:.
As far as covers go, she has a Madonna cover (don't cry for me argentina) that could've earned a youtube vid if it wasn't for her own songs that rule waaay more.

To make sure you listen to the whole song I'm only posting ONE. And I'm posting it right here so that you can play the song and continue reading...
I'm proud to introduce: TROY, by Sinéad O'Connor.

Albums:

1987 The Lion and the Cobra
1990 I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got

1992 Am I Not Your Girl?
1994 Universal Mother
1997 Gospel Oak EP
1997 So Far... the Best of Sinéad O'Connor
2000 Faith and Courage
2002 Sean-Nós Nua
2003 She Who Dwells in the Secret Place of the Most High Shall Abide Under the Shadow of the Almighty
2005 Collaborations
2005 Throw Down Your Arms
2007 Theology

The ones in bold are the ones I own and like best. Their covers:
Frontblog.jpg
oconnor-sinead-629-l.jpg

167643.jpg33.jpg

This is one artist that keeps amazing me... Even after all this time I hear new stuff to her songs that I hadn't heard before.

I only recently found out that she has made quite a name for herself because of her view on the world and religion..

O'Connor's career took a political shift — especially in the United States — on 3 October 1992, when she appeared on Saturday Night Live as a musical guest. She was singing an a cappella version of Bob Marley's "War," which she intended as a protest over the sexual abuse in the Roman Catholic Church, by changing the lyric "racism" to "child abuse."She then presented a photo of Pope John Paul II to the camera while singing the word "evil," after which she tore the photo into pieces, said "Fight the real enemy," and threw the pieces towards the camera.

Saturday Night Live had no foreknowledge of O'Connor's plan. As of 2008, NBC still declines to rebroadcast the sequence, instead showing footage from the dress rehearsal where O'Connor holds a photo of an African child before bowing and leaving the stage. The dress rehearsal version is also used for 60-minute syndicated rebroadcasts (seen on Comedy Central and E! Entertainment Television). However, the original episode is available on volume four of the SNL DVD special Saturday Night Live – 25 Years of Music, with an introduction by show creator/executive producer Lorne Michaels about the incident.

Which adds a little touch to my views of her and her music.

Anyway, I'm not a sinead expert but I like what I hear, so :) Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Sinéad O'Connor

Nice thread OB,,,but I don't like Sinead that much. I don't think I have one song of hers in my collection.:D

Oblivion

Reaction score

:D then for heavens sake get a copy of her first album so that you have Troy in your library..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Not likely buddy,,,she way down on my list of essential artists at this time.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I know this sounds cliche' and I may get spanked for this..but like most peope I raised an eyebrow to this songs (by Prince) and video..and got a bit choked up. It was a tough one to watch back in the day having a couple cold ones.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

I never really considered Sinéad O'Connor to be of Folk origin, but I don't know cause I only know that one song or she did which I thought was a Pop song. :wtf:

Oblivion

Reaction score

I never really considered Sinéad O'Connor to be of Folk origin, but I don't know cause I only know that one song or she did which I thought was a Pop song. :wtf:

:) I put her in folk without thinking actually... She's a singer-songwriter with in my opinion quite some folk influences... Be it Celtic or be it Catholic; this song is (I think) a good example...

:rolleyes: I might be wrong..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I think you can make a case for her being in here OB that is where I would place her.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Sinead is one of those singers that has a beautiful voice, but you dont tend to collect her works. If I was to get any CD's of hers it would be for a wedding or a funeral *some of her songs are very touching*

I remember the song, Nothing Compares, and it brings chills/goosies to me. Otherwise, I cant recall too much of her stuff.

Oblivion

Reaction score

:D and to my endless suprise not a soul in this thread mentions the masterpiece Troy is...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.