Simon and Garfunkel (Official Thread)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: Simon and Garfunkel

My favourite S&G album is Bookends (except for 1 track) but my favourite track of theirs must be The Boxer. The layering of of their vocals at the end never fail to send shivers down my spine. Also The Boxer was one of the 1st tracks to use the synthesizer commercially.

And one of the first since Pet Sounds to use a bass harmonica.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Holy crap Jeffrey that takes me back...1970 the year Dad was transferred and I had to start over again the bad part about being in a military family. I am impressed you have managed to keep that ticket stub so long.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

^^ I was a 15 year old sophomore in high school. I don't think I'd even bought my first S&G album yet. (I think I might have been more concerned with driver's ed at that point ;) )

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

Had the great good fortune to see Simon & Garfunkel on three different occassions at the Royal Albert Hall in London. All three concerts were magic.

Saturday 18 March 1967, Friday 08 March 1968 & Saturday 25 April 1970.

Seeing Art singing "Bridge . . . " on a completely black stage with just one spotlight on him was a memory I'll retain for eternity.

Of interest is that I first heard Paul Simon in 1965 on a juke box in a coffee bar in south London and bought the "I Am A Rock" single shortly after.

paulsimon.jpg

Couldn't find a pic of the single on the internet, this is a scan of my copy.

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

If memory seves me well, the second time we saw S&G at the RAH they invited a female street singer onto the stage to sing a song. Apparently they had either met her during the course of the day or they knew of her and had managed to find her in time for the concert.

With the benefit of hindsight, S&G were at the height of their powers in '69 imo. I've seen and heard the later reunions but although the performances are great there's something missing - can't really put my finger on it.

If you get a chance, have a listen to some of the bootlegs of them playing in the late sixties and you may get an idea of what I'm on about.

Still reckon Art has one of the best voices ever to grace my CD player.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

Still reckon Art has one of the best voices ever to grace my CD player.

Art's is the only version of Bruce Johnston's "Disney Girls (1957)" that I prefer over the Beach Boys' original.

And IMO there isn't any point in Simon ever performing "Bridge" again unless Art's there to sing it for him. I mean it's a great song, regardless, but no one can sing it like Art. It just isn't the same.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

I love Simon and Garfunkel. My Mom has a big colletion of their records.

Some of my favorite songs:
At The Zoo
America
The 59th Street bridge Song(Feelin Groovy)
Hazy Shade of Winter
The Boxer
Scarborough Fair
El Condor Pasa (if I could)
Cecelia

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37