Simon and Garfunkel (Official Thread)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Simon and Garfunkel Thread

Does anyone else think Simon & Garfunkel don't get nearly enough due respect these days? I mean, I can't even tell you the last time I heard one of their songs on the radio and that makes me so sad because they are my favorite group of the 60's. Perhaps the closest to perfect harmonies in much, such beautiful melodies, touching lyrics. It breaks my heart, ya know?

CREAM'd

Reaction score

Does anyone else think Simon & Garfunkel don't get nearly enough due respect these days? I mean, I can't even tell you the last time I heard one of their songs on the radio and that makes me so sad because they are my favorite group of the 60's. Perhaps the closest to perfect harmonies in much, such beautiful melodies, touching lyrics. It breaks my heart, ya know?

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Everyone should own AT LEAST ONE S & G CD!! (or album) :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

It is too bad they don't get more respect and airtime Cosmic, one of the best duos in folk-rock music history easily.

Not only is that unfair, but Paul Simon's solo work is also really really good, and he never gets mentioned with the other luminaries of his era.

I think if they had been together longer and released 6 or more records that might have helped them over the long haul.

Whenever I play a Simon & Garfunkel album I am teleported back to my teenage years, happens everytime.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

It is too bad they don't get more respect and airtime Cosmic, one of the best duos in folk-rock music history easily.

Not only is that unfair, but Paul Simon's solo work is also really really good, and he never gets mentioned with the other luminaries of his era.

I think if they had been together longer and released 6 or more records that might have helped them over the long haul.

Whenever I play a Simon & Garfunkel album I am teleported back to my teenage years, happens everytime.

I think the fact that they're a folk rock duo is likely the problem actually. Unlike other champions of the 60's who get tons of airplay on classic rock stations I'm sure they don't spin any Simon and Garfunkel songs because "they don't rock enough". In addition to that they don't get played on pop stations, oldies stations, or anything because they, and folk in general really, just don't fit in with whatever else is being played.

If they had put out more albums then maybe that would have helped them out but I'm not so sure. Unlike other folk artists of the 60's like Bob Dylan or Donovan, Simon and Garfunkel didn't incorporate rock into their music and I think that that is probably the difference maker. But all the same, I don't think they would have sounded right with more rock elements and I know how they could have followed up "Bridge Over Troubled Water" any so I think it was a fitting final album.

And I get sent back to my younger days with their music too. Actually only one song of theirs because that's all I had heard. It was "Scarborough Fair". I heard it somewhere (for the life of me I can't remember where anymore) and even though I didn't really know the lyrics, much less what they meant, the melody stuck with me and I would hum and whistle it all the time.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^You make some good points as always, but I can't help feeling after looking over Paul's solo career S&G could easily have put out some more quality albums. I just feel we were deprived of an even bigger legacy.

Anyway, we could say the same thing about Renaissance and Fairport Convention, two other fabulous folk/rock bands that you never hear anymore either, unless you are lucky enough to have their records.:D

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score

6 months ago when I stated diggin' folk rock deeply, S&G are one of my favorite groups. Before, I know just their hits like "Mrs. Robinson", "Sound Of Silence", "America", "Cecilia" or "Scarborough Fair", but when I started listening their records from top till bottom, I discover even better tunes.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Their greatest hits vinyl record was my first Simon & Garfunkel album. It was a good way to get to know them before digging into their other studio albums. It's just too bad they didn't do more records before splitting up.

Badge

Reaction score

I could never find a full version of the 'Bookends Theme' on You-Tube, so I set about making a video myself, and took the audio from the original vinyl I have. The video was made for my youngest son who was very ill with cancer at the time, that's what we are 'Old friends', enjoy.

SteveB

Member. 50+
Reaction score

Badge; emotive, evocative, and truly wonderful. Well done for putting this together. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online