Sex Pistols.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I love the Sex Pistols.

Now even thought their manager some what manufactured them they ****ed with the record companies they signed with by constantly breaking contacts and getting money in return (going by a Sex Pistols documentary I watched.)

The Clash are a punk band yes but they are much more IMO. The Sex Pistols did so much for the genre with only one album.

Personally I find the greatest punk band of all time to be The Dead Kennedys since they were just as brash, ironic, sarcastic, crude, etc etc as the Sex Pistols and just as political as the Clash.

Probably my favorite song by the Sex Pistols

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Bucky:

All I'm saying is that the legend was bigger than the band but let me tell you those songs are a reality & I do love them but if I want real Punk Give me Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers 'LAMF', Richard Hell & the Voidoids 'Blank Generation', or Any of the Ramones first 3 Records'.

I have no problem with anything you've said but the conclusion. Since the "songs are a reality", the Sex Pistols are real punk regardless of Malcolm McLaren's motivations/machinations.

ComfortablyNumb:

(the Sex pistols) ****ed with the record companies they signed with by constantly breaking contacts and getting money in return (going by a Sex Pistols documentary I watched.)

Now that is the essence of hardcore punk in my book!

:lols:

Personally I find the greatest punk band of all time to be The Dead Kennedys since they were just as brash, ironic, sarcastic, crude, etc etc as the Sex Pistols and just as political as the Clash.

I prefer the simply brash, sarcastic and crude ones without the political bent but we've already beaten that subject half to death. Where do Richard Hell & the Voidoids and the Circle Jerks stand within your frame of reference? How would you subcategorize these bands?

:huh:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Bucky:
I prefer the simply brash, sarcastic and crude ones without the political bent but we've already beaten that subject half to death. Where do Richard Hell & the Voidoids and the Circle Jerks stand within your frame of reference? How would you subcategorize these bands?

:huh:

The Circle Jerks are great as well, I just find the Dead Kennedys to be the best at their instrtuments and probably lyrically.

rtbuck

Reaction score
That is just my opinion after reading many books,magazines, seeing plenty of videos, hearing plenty of live shows of all these bands including the Pistols, & of course studying & listening to all these records. I know the Pistols were "real"(I probably should find a different word for "Real" when I used "Real Punk") but I'll take any of those other bands I mentioned over the Pistols

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am with you Bucky,,,I prefer the other bands you mentioned to the Pistols.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sucks they only did one album but it was a really good one at that.
My favourite songs.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed, I love The Clash but The Pistols are the epitome of punk :)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I remember getting introduced to Sex Pistols. They weren't my cup of tea at first, but like any band, they grew on me. They have a great amount of talent.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Staff online

Members online