Seven Bands Who Were Foolishly Labeled ‘The Next Beatles’

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Although I love the Beatles and realize how massively important they were to the entire music revolution of the 60's/70's I do get a little worn out with the endless adulation heaped upon them by the true hard core fans.

On the other hand they are the Standard against which all other rock bands will be measured, and there is nothing wrong with that someone has to be at the top of the pyramid and I consider it very unlikely that for my remaining years that any band will knock them off their perch, in second place very close behind is probably Led Zeppelin.

Said it before but you let history make any lasting value judgements about what you contributed when you were an artist, a label/manager/PR machine is just blowing smoke to attract attention and make money while they can, I understand that it is a business after all everyone wants to make a good living.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Those are impressive credentials. They had all that success in Great Britain, right? They were nowhere near that popular here in the U.S.

Neither did Queen (and many other bands) but that doesn't negate their legacy. The U.S. is only 3% of the world's population so.....they aren't exactly the be all, end all of music popularity. I'm not saying Oasis is the biggest thing since sliced bread. I'm just saying that they're weren't a flash in the pan either.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Those are impressive credentials. They had all that success in Great Britain, right? They were nowhere near that popular here in the U.S.

The main reason Oasis never lifted off in The US is that the tours which were arranged ended up being cancelled half way through because Noel and Liam had bust ups. A shame really, I always thought they could have hit big over there. They were always very open about their admiration for The Beatles, and acknowledged the heavy influence. For me they lit up the '90s with some great rock 'hooks'. I don't take too much notice of the snobbery within the Rock Community. If I like the sound of it that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
Neither did Queen (and many other bands) but that doesn't negate their legacy. The U.S. is only 3% of the world's population so.....they aren't exactly the be all, end all of music popularity. I'm not saying Oasis is the biggest thing since sliced bread. I'm just saying that they're weren't a flash in the pan either.

I certainly wasn't trying to negate their legacy. I was simply pointing out that Oasis isn't viewed with the same level of adulation here in the the States as they were in other parts of the world. I mean, the same could be said of Status Quo. I was shocked to find out how many hits they've had and how long they've been making music in Great Britain. In the U.S. they're known as a one hit wonder, if they're remembered at all. As far as the States not being the "end all, be all of music popularity", fair enough. But most British bands, from The Beatles to The Stones to The Who and beyond, felt that making it in the States was a big goal. The Beatles went so far as to tell Brian Epstein (their manager) that they would not visit the States until they had a number one hit.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's a big deal. Probably because the U.S. is the largest English speaking market in the world so it could really cement a band. Marc Bolan for example sabotaged his England success to try and crack the U.S. market. It's a weird dynamic really.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
The Bee Gees are really the only band on this list to even remotely put the 'label' of "The Next Beatles" to the test. Half of these artists were basically 1-hit wonders. :rolleyes:

Radagast

Reaction score
The closest I have heard any to sounding like any one of The Beatles was Julian Lennon and solo work "Vallette". It is a shame he allowed substance abuse to control his life.

The closest I have heard any one song sounding like a Beatles song was the Tears for Fears song "Sowing the Seeds of Love". A Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band type song in the best tradition.

When I first heard 10cc's,"I'm not in love" for the first time, I thought it was a new Paul McCartney tune.

George and John left us all too soon. I delight in the fantasy of all still being alive and John telling Yoko that he was going to stay at Paul's place for a few months . The lads and I are going to record some new music together.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.