Scientists discover that pop music sounds all the same...

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seriously. I heard an interview a ways back where the reporter said to Angus Young, " You guys have 11 albums that sound exactly the same" and Angus said ,"Actually, we have 12 albums that all sound the same." I don't mind if it's good.

I heard about that. They got a good sense of humour. :heheh:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I heard about that. They got a good sense of humour. :heheh:

Seriously even though AC/DC has the same formula rock, But it works in a good way. I can sit through quite a bit of their catalog and never think that song sound exactly like this other song by them. Black Ice even has some songs that have a Led Zeppelin feel to them. Or maybe even a little Nazareth Led Zeppelin combo. What so wrong in taking bits of the best and using that for some great tunes?? I shouldn't ask that question on this forum... It's like troll bait..:banghead:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seriously even though AC/DC has the same formula rock, But it works in a good way. I can sit through quite a bit of their catalog and never think that song sound exactly like this other song by them. Black Ice even has some songs that have a Led Zeppelin feel to them. Or maybe even a little Nazareth Led Zeppelin combo. What so wrong in taking bits of the best and using that for some great tunes?? I shouldn't ask that question on this forum... It's like troll bait..:banghead:

It does work in a good way, I think the whole theory of them doing the same thing every album wears thin after awhile. :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's true enough Riff...I have a hard time thinking about any current "Pop" star that will be revered with the likes of the Beatles, Stones, Eagles, Zeppelin etc...most likely they will fade into obscurity like most of the other corporate creations that preceded them.

Cosmic has persuaded me that Madge is one who has already passed the litmus test, even if I am not a fan of her's.:grinthumb

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
"Actually, we have 12 albums that all sound the same." I don't mind if it's good.

My thoughts exactly. :cheers2

Actually, considering that Crazy Horse, Nirvana, and Tom Petty are my favorite bands, I'd say I prefer the same three chords over and over again. ;)

Tek_54

Spanish Rocker Girl
Reaction score
I know that's been said at least ten million times about AC/DC but I won't hear a word said against them :cheers2

Ohh, I can't say anything about the troussers?? haha

:heheh: It can be said another ten million times, if the same power chords sound good to my ears that's all that matters to me. :tongue:

If somethig rules, why change it??

Seriously. I heard an interview a ways back where the reporter said to Angus Young, " You guys have 11 albums that sound exactly the same" and Angus said ,"Actually, we have 12 albums that all sound the same." I don't mind if it's good.

Obviously, but we, the fans, buy them, because we like them.

Exactly, dude

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
^^That's true enough Riff...I have a hard time thinking about any current "Pop" star that will be revered with the likes of the Beatles, Stones, Eagles, Zeppelin etc...most likely they will fade into obscurity like most of the other corporate creations that preceded them.

Cosmic has persuaded me that Madge is one who has already passed the litmus test, even if I am not a fan of her's.:grinthumb

Well, you're right about Madonna. She has been the inspiration for so many that came after her. I just wish she'd settle down and retire, or at least do something a little more dignified than grab her crotch onstage and cause controversy. I know she's better than that, but she refuses to let go of the "bad girl" image. She was really going in a great direction with Ray of Light and as soon as Music hit the shelves she was rolling back into hooch territory and has gone downhill since. She's worse now with that than she was in the 80s.

Also, even though he's no longer "current", Michael Jackson will always be a legend in the pop realm, despite what people may say or think about his personal issues leading up to his death. He and Madge will always be tops, and for some odd reason people still bow down to Britney Spears as a "legend", but really all she is is a trainwreck IMO. If she hadn't worn the schoolgirl outfit and pigtails she'd be in the Jessica Simpson fame level trying to get in the headlines with pictures of her babies and weight loss/gain. :rolleyes:

Khor1255

Reaction score
Jacko and Madge are two sides of the same mediocre coin. Both are largely responsible for why music has gone from an expression of the heart to a way to sell tripe and avoid having to deal with actual artists. Both embraced music far more for the fame aspect than for any real love of the craft and it shows.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Jacko and Madge are two sides of the same mediocre coin. Both are largely responsible for why music has gone from an expression of the heart to a way to sell tripe and avoid having to deal with actual artists. Both embraced music far more for the fame aspect than for any real love of the craft and it shows.
I disagree on almost all points. LIke them, love them or hate them, both are nothing more than pop artists that appealed to the masses. They aren't any different than the Beach Boys, the Beatles, Elvis, or any number of other highly successful artists over the years.

The Beatles weren't always "classic rock" and a lot of their early stuff was extremly POPPY. That doesn't make it bad, but it is a fact. They borrowed from those that came before them just like many artists have borrowed from them over the years.

Artists don't have to "grow" and "evolve" continually to be considered "real musicians/artists". Pop music appeals to a different crowd than other types of music. Don't like it? That's fine. I'm NOT a big defender of most pop music because I don't care for it, but the two highly successful acts that you mentioned will always be revered as among the best in the pop music realm and for good reason, NOT just because they embraced the potential of fame.

I DO think that nearly anyone who gets into the music business on a national or worldwide level has a desire for fame and fortune. To say they don't is very naive. Some can handle the fame, others can't, but none of them are there because they don't want anyone to know them.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online