Santana (Official Thread)

gguerra

Reaction score
Throughout the 1980s I was a rabid Santana fan; I dare say they kept me sane in a decade that musically has been likened to a car crash. Seen them nine times in all, own the run on CD, and will probably remain loyal till Carlos hangs up the guitar. Best: Abraxas, Caravanserai. Weakest: Brothers, Shapeshifter. Favorite instro: Song of the Wind. However, the album "Shango" remains my most played record to this day, though not my favorite. Due to excessive play in 83-85, when I didn't have that many records.

Shango and Zebop are two my favorites. They came out in the early 80's right around the time I graduated from H.S. I was really into Santana at that point. Of course I also enjoy his debut album and Abraxas as well.. Moonflower was another good one.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Reaction score
LG said:
I love Abraxas and have 3 of their albums, all from the early years of the band. Pioneers of the "Latin" rock sound, absolutely love the variety of the percussion sounds on their records.
I have the first 2 and they are insanely g00d!!

Neshabur

Reaction score
I have many albums including some nice solo projects.

One of my favorite pieces who anticipates the change to jazz fusion which dominates Caravanserai and other subsequent album in a live version from the fantastic triple album Lotus: :woot:

Last edited:

Zepfan

...since January 1969...
Reaction score
I was a fan of Carlos and his band even before I saw them at the Texas International Pop Festival during Labor Day weekend in '69. The sixth album, "Borboletta", has a "suite" of songs (Here and Now; Flor de Canela; Promise of a Fisherman) which I consider some of his best work from that early 70's period. I have seen him many times since then and, like many of you, will continue until . . .

Neshabur

Reaction score
I saw Santana twice: the first time in Genoa in 1983. Then the band had two keyboardists: Chester Thompson and Tom Coster; the Jamaican bassist Keith Jones and the spectacular drummer Graham Lear. They played for two hours and half with many jazzy influences. I still remember their final encore: "Shake Your Money Maker" by Elmore James.
The second time in Milan, in 1987. Carlos toured with Buddy Miles. They covered one blues tune by the Electric Flag with two guitar solos by Carlos and Buddy. They played even "Round Midnight" by Monk; the bassist was Alphonso Johnson; the vocalist was Alex Ligertwood. A great concert of two hours and half.

Neshabur

Reaction score
From the great compilation "Viva Santana" edited in 1988, an overview of Santana's first twenty years, the track "Song Of The Wind" recorded live in Paris in 1977:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts about Santana IV?

It feels like it picked up after III without sounding dated (like UFO Walk On Water picked up after Lights Out for quality).

One of the few non-modern metal albums I've bought in recent years, and I've skipped all the guest vocalist albums Carlos has done except Supernatural.

Santana's still great mind you, the formula just got stale for me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online