Santana (Official Thread)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: Santana ~ Appreciation Thread

Really loved this band in the early 70s.

This is my favorite album

Santana3.jpg

The first three albums are legendary. They were followed by some good albums (Caravanserai, Borboleta, etc.) but the vibe had changed to more of a jazz/fusion vibe. Carlos was a guitar hero of mine. And Gregg Rolie played a phat, Hammond organ.

:bow:

I agree with every word of your post. There are later albums I enjoy, and others I don't, but none will ever match the first 3, especially the last of those. "Toussaint l'Overture" contains my all-time favorite guitar solos, too, starting at about 3:31, and again at 4:16:

Removed dead video

Last edited:

Vic2010

Reaction score

^^^ Yeah, Batuka, No One To Depend On, Jungle Strut, Toussaint, Guajira, this album just kills. Loved all those harmony leads Carlos did with Neal. Hard to imagine that Neal Schon, a hotrod guitarist in his day eventually became responsible for producing some of the most schlocky MOR ever produced. No offense to Journey fans. Neal Schon was a hotrod guitarist back in the day, and Journey was a hell of a jam band before Steve Perry joined. I've never seen the Santana band live but I've seen Carlos play as an invited guest a couple times.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

Hard to imagine that Neal Schon, a hotrod guitarist in his day eventually became responsible for producing some of the most schlocky MOR ever produced.

I've always been amazed by that, too. I remember how shocked I was when I first discovered the connection.

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

Happy Birthday to Carlos Santana!

July 20, 1947

Carlos Santana

Last edited by a moderator:

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
Santana

I love cranking up Santana on the stereo until the speakers smell hot - Santana sounds magnificent in super-loud mode! Here's his 2 greatest songs (only my opinion, of course:))...
Open Invitation (with Gregg Rolie singing)

and... Smooth (with Rob Thomas)

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Some of my favorites (aside form the obvious "big ones"):

Europa

A great cover

She's Not There

Mirage

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members