S.O.A.D - Best Band Since the 1980s?

eccentric man

Reaction score
to my ears system of a down is a band that took faith no more's 'ugly in the morning' and made a carreer of it.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Can't stand SOAD. But then I can't stand a lot of screamer music. It's just I'm getting old, I'm sure. I remind myself of my father reacting to my music when I was a teenager - "Turn that crap down!!!"

Big Generator

Reaction score
Music Wench said:
Can't stand SOAD. But then I can't stand a lot of screamer music. It's just I'm getting old, I'm sure. I remind myself of my father reacting to my music when I was a teenager - "Turn that crap down!!!"

I'm sure it's nothing to do with age. I feel that way about the Clash.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Big Generator said:
I'm sure it's nothing to do with age. I feel that way about the Clash.
LOL Well, it certainly is about musical taste and while I like my old school metal, the newer stuff just grates on my nerves. I'll stick with Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. That's why I thought it was age.

eccentric man

Reaction score
Big Generator said:
There's a vague resemblence...but the key difference is that Faith No More are crap.

considering you like kiss i'll take this as a compliment ;)

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I've only heard a little tiny bit of System of a Down. What I heard was really sweet though, I'd probably like them if I listened to them.

But all the way since the 80s... even not including the 80s itself you've got Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Anna Nalick, Silvertide, Pearl Jam.

energydude

Banned
Reaction score
Today, 09:14 AM #10
Big Generator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by energydude
Today, 06:41 PM #1
Big Generator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, the most exciting and orginal band of the last few years are System of a Down. They are taking Heavy Metal to a whole new level. Forget those ridiculous "nu metal" bands who tried to be hip with some dreadlocked DJ 'scratching' uselessly in the background. No hip-hop posturings with System of a Down...instead they draw inspiration from the glory days of 80s thrash metal and combine it with Armenian folk music...and amazingly manage to write leftish protest lyrics which aren't remotely drippy or earnest. This band are on fire at the moment and in a sterile, predictable music scene they are virtually the only act capable of delivering surprises. Here's to System of a Down becoming the biggest rock band of the decade!

Anyone agree?

I almost do. I love them. I have seen them live 3 times. The put on a great show. They do put some energy in Metal. I don't see them as biggest rock band of the decade. Not when Metallica is still out there Rocking the free world.

That's true - but Metallica badly need to deliver a first-rate album or they'll end up being a nostalgia act. I reckon the new bassist will bring some fresh enthusiasm - and from what I hear, he's a worthy successor to Cliff Burton.

yea i hope the new blood helps them, i saw him in the film about the band and he seems cool st anger was good but not a classic like load or the black cd rock on mighty M rock on

Big Generator

Reaction score
AboutAGirl said:
I've only heard a little tiny bit of System of a Down. What I heard was really sweet though, I'd probably like them if I listened to them.

But all the way since the 80s... even not including the 80s itself you've got Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Anna Nalick, Silvertide, Pearl Jam.

The whole 90s rock scene left me cold...wussy, no fun music...luckily I saw the light about house music so I didn't get too miserable.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online