S.O.A.D - Best Band Since the 1980s?

Big Generator

Reaction score
For me, the most exciting and orginal band of the last few years are System of a Down. They are taking Heavy Metal to a whole new level. Forget those ridiculous "nu metal" bands who tried to be hip with some dreadlocked DJ 'scratching' uselessly in the background. No hip-hop posturings with System of a Down...instead they draw inspiration from the glory days of 80s thrash metal and combine it with Armenian folk music...and amazingly manage to write leftish protest lyrics which aren't remotely drippy or earnest. This band are on fire at the moment and in a sterile, predictable music scene they are virtually the only act capable of delivering surprises. Here's to System of a Down becoming the biggest rock band of the decade!

Anyone agree?

Buff

~going mobile~
Reaction score
yea, I've taken in some of their stuff (mostly via my 17 y/o stepdaughter), not bad, they certainly have their own sound.

Buff

~going mobile~
Reaction score
::snicker:: nah, BG, just more, erm, tolerance. ;)

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I saw them live a few months ago in Vancouver and I have to say they put on a really good show. Musically, sure they have a distinctive sound, especially the vocals, but too many of their songs sound too much alike to my ears. They don't vary up their style either, all the songs i've heard are played at almost exactly the same speed. For a hard rock/metal band they are one of the better bands out there though.

Big Generator

Reaction score
I agree that was a flaw in the early albums...but they've varied the style and pace on Mesmerize and Hypnotize. Also - the guitarist is now the second vocalist too - and that has worked well - especially on tracks like "Lost in Hollywood".

Also - Rick Rubin's production is brilliant, as ever.

Haven't seen them live yet though...

Big Generator

Reaction score
What I also love about this band...is just how grandiose and preposterous they are...qualities that have died out in rock music since the 1980s sadly passed.

energydude

Banned
Reaction score
Today, 06:41 PM #1
Big Generator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, the most exciting and orginal band of the last few years are System of a Down. They are taking Heavy Metal to a whole new level. Forget those ridiculous "nu metal" bands who tried to be hip with some dreadlocked DJ 'scratching' uselessly in the background. No hip-hop posturings with System of a Down...instead they draw inspiration from the glory days of 80s thrash metal and combine it with Armenian folk music...and amazingly manage to write leftish protest lyrics which aren't remotely drippy or earnest. This band are on fire at the moment and in a sterile, predictable music scene they are virtually the only act capable of delivering surprises. Here's to System of a Down becoming the biggest rock band of the decade!

Anyone agree?

I almost do. I love them. I have seen them live 3 times. The put on a great show. They do put some energy in Metal. I don't see them as biggest rock band of the decade. Not when Metallica is still out there Rocking the free world.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
They are a good band, I like the escalating dynamics they can muster, from quiet to raging horror in a matter of seconds.
BYOB was a great single as well, liked it all.

Big Generator

Reaction score
energydude said:
Today, 06:41 PM #1
Big Generator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone agree?

I almost do. I love them. I have seen them live 3 times. The put on a great show. They do put some energy in Metal. I don't see them as biggest rock band of the decade. Not when Metallica is still out there Rocking the free world.

That's true - but Metallica badly need to deliver a first-rate album or they'll end up being a nostalgia act. I reckon the new bassist will bring some fresh enthusiasm - and from what I hear, he's a worthy successor to Cliff Burton.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online

No members online now.