Rush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Yes...I guess they did try to sound like The Police in 1984...but I'd say "Permanent Waves", "Moving Pictures" and "Signals" were too hard-edged and original to be described as "FM rock". But I agree that they sounded less distinctive as the 1980s wore on....

Sasquatch

Reaction score
I`ll agree with original...but hard-edged I can`t agree with. One of the things that made me an early Rush fan was the "hard edge" . It seemed to me that they softened that up to get more air-play. It`s too bad that the internet wasn`t more established early in this band`s career...but the same could be said for a lot of groups I suppose. Maybe my problem is that the early stuff was so phenomenal that the later stuff sounded like crap to me. I`ll not deny the musicianship...it`s the context and sound that turned me away.

Jack

Big Generator

Reaction score
Rush were successful in the 1970s...so I doubt they introduced keyboards (etc) to get "more" airplay. Surely they just became fascinated by the new technology -annd wanted their sound and direction to evolve - like all great bands do.

I've noticed that you think many bands - Journey, Fleetwood Mac, Rush - should have pursued the same direction they started out with - and that their music declined after 1976. Maybe that's because your teenage years were in the mid-70s? I know I love the mid-80s in the same way because I was 17/18 then....and I started to hate the direction rock music took in the late 80s onwards. What do you reckon?

Sasquatch

Reaction score
You may have a point about my teenage years...but on the other hand I have adapted my listening tastes for a lot of other artists. My point was that I enjoyed the early things the groups we talked about did...before they got away from what they were doing. I know what I like. I just feel that the changes they made were not for the better. I would never try to tell you that you were wrong...please don`t think so. It`s a matter of preference, that`s all. I`ve enjoyed this give and take...and hope we can do this again. I got flamed in a big way in a couple other forums for my opinion...it`s nice to be able to discuss things rationally, like adults. Do not feel like I`m taking a burn for anyhing....if I did....I wouldn`t feel like I belonged here. One of the first things I noticed about this place is that for the most part people are friendly...I felt at home right away. Feel free to let fly at any time...

Jack

BTW....Both Steve`s...Perry, and Nicks....suck lmao :)

Last edited:

Big Generator

Reaction score
Sasquatch said:
I`ve enjoyed this give and take...and hope we can do this again. I got flamed in a big way in a couple other forums for my opinion...it`s nice to be able to discuss things rationally, like adults.
Jack

BTW....Both Steve`s...Perry, and Nicks....suck lmao :)

Absolutely, Sasquatch - it's a pleasure arguing with you in a rational, adult way.

P.S. Frank sucks the hardest...

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Big Generator said:
Absolutely, Sasquatch - it's a pleasure arguing with you in a rational, adult way.

P.S. Frank sucks the hardest...
I`m glad to debate in an adult manner...after all...

BTW...Your remarks as to FZ shows me that you`re intimidated by genius...

Big Generator

Reaction score
Sasquatch said:
I`m glad to debate in an adult manner...after all...

BTW...Your remarks as to FZ shows me that you`re intimidated by genius...

Not at all...I have genius radiating from my speakers every day.

TheEvilErk2008

Hail the 80s!
Reaction score
outside my mind, in a little town called crazy
Big Generator said:
Can anyone explain those washing machines they had on stage during the last tour? I'm not sure I quite got the 'laundry concept'.
Well, heres the story as i know it.
apparently the "rig" used to sit behind geddy as it does behind alex. After an upgrade in equipment....cuz you can do that when you put huge amounts of money into concerts, geddy was left without a "rig" either geddy or peart (or both) felt the need ot put something in replace of them. At one point I think they actually had frdges, it changes slightly show to show.

BTW: they actually go and change the laundry thoughout the show. What wierdos!

Also youll want to notice the 3 stooges. They consider themselves teh three stooges of rock or something...so each has a little doll.

Alex is a humorous fello and when he was telling all the stuff he needs for the show, he emphasized the need for a lot of flashing nifty lights and such...I have no idea where my friend found this, but there is a whole page a of alexs

I know they all have nicknames but I cant quite recall them...Lurx is one of them....Anyone know them?

Anyone else have some classic rush concert memories to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.