Rush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Buford's a bit too soft for me...whereas Peart's drumming has a harder edge.

Also..I do think Yes were a much better band when Alan White took over.

TheEvilErk2008

Hail the 80s!
Reaction score
outside my mind, in a little town called crazy
Sweet! an actual rush debate! this forum sure has picked up since I left a month ago...or rather since my computer decided to die.

Anyway, here is a topic of discussion my rush enthusiast friend came up with today: Did rush, with such songs as 2112, develop hard rock in a way that eventually lead to the creation of metal?

Metal is not of musical interest to me at all. But listen to 2112, you definately can hear something there that wasnt in previous musical peices of any other band. But it is also quite a strech, especially since neil tended to fuss a lot of jazz technique and alex was still in his days of midrange tone and riffs. What do you think?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Rush did it all by their lonesome. I can see where 2112 could have contributed to the metal sound though. I think prog is a lot more...melodic than metal and tend to like it better. I like metal but it doesn't "touch my soul" like prog can.

Big Generator

Reaction score
TheEvilErk2008 said:
Sweet! an actual rush debate! this forum sure has picked up since I left a month ago...or rather since my computer decided to die.

Anyway, here is a topic of discussion my rush enthusiast friend came up with today: Did rush, with such songs as 2112, develop hard rock in a way that eventually lead to the creation of metal?

Metal is not of musical interest to me at all. But listen to 2112, you definately can hear something there that wasnt in previous musical peices of any other band. But it is also quite a strech, especially since neil tended to fuss a lot of jazz technique and alex was still in his days of midrange tone and riffs. What do you think?

I reckon the development of heavy metal was influenced by Rush.

Also - Rush were a huge band among metal fans...until the mid-1980s.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
I`ve always enjoyed Rush...although I thought the quality dropped a lot with the release of "Permanent Waves"...I thought that "Tom Sawyer" was a cop-out...like they were giving in to where the popular music was heading at that time. Songs such as "By-Tor and the Snowdog"...and "Finding My Way", and of course the entire 2112 album were what got me into Rush. I think a lot of thier later stuff got a bit "poppy" even though musically they were still a very tight outfit. All MHO, of course.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Sasquatch said:
I`ve always enjoyed Rush...although I thought the quality dropped a lot with the release of "Permanent Waves"...I thought that "Tom Sawyer" was a cop-out...like they were giving in to where the popular music was heading at that time. Songs such as "By-Tor and the Snowdog"...and "Finding My Way", and of course the entire 2112 album were what got me into Rush. I think a lot of thier later stuff got a bit "poppy" even though musically they were still a very tight outfit. All MHO, of course.
I agree with you - mostly. I actually liked Permanent Waves. Just can't stand Tom Sawyer because it gets over played and I rarely hear anything from older Rush albums any more.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Are you all mad? Rush were utterly at their peak between 1980-82..."Permanent Waves", "Moving Pictures" and especially "Signals"...classic after classic...

It did go a bit wrong with "Grace Under Pressure" and "Power Windows" was abysmal...but "Hold Your Fire" was another classic...and then they went crap for years afterwards. That's how I see it anyway.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Well, I've never been considered completely sane by anyone but I still think Rush was best pre-Permanent Waves. And of course it is just my opinion.

TheEvilErk2008

Hail the 80s!
Reaction score
outside my mind, in a little town called crazy
Thats really is the most wonderful quality about rush, no matter what, there is something you can find in them that is different and intreging. As a progressive band they took the meaning of progressive to a whole new level. They actually progressed there music along with the times.

Though I personally think that Tom Sawyer is what sums rush up as a band. It is the one song besides 2112 that everyone associates with Rush nowadays. Plus it has awesome dums, random time sigs, and sweet guitar solos. And who can forget the lyrics and singing. Tom Sawyer definatly gives rush a face.

I cant pick favorites though for rush. I love the zepplin era, the hard rock era, the "80s" era and the modern era, to name a few. Each different style I can pick out new stuff and amazing detail.

Sometime this month my 2112 poster should come in fromt the poster store...not that anyone cares...though do yall have any posters or cool memorobelia of rush?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
TheEvilErk2008 said:
Sometime this month my 2112 poster should come in fromt the poster store...not that anyone cares...though do yall have any posters or cool memorobelia of rush?
I have a poster of their Hemispheres album and I used to have a 2112 poster but I have no idea what happened to it now. All those years of moving and all took it's toll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online