Roxy Music (Official Thread)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
There were so much more to the band that met the eye. The track "In every dream home a heartache "......is quite simply one of the most chilling haunting tracks ever to be put to vinyl !! Excellent

Agreed - fantastic track!

LORD GRENDEL said:
I can see that...Bryan Ferry can have that affect on anyone. I like his cover of "Jealous Guy" better than Lennon's original, but like Master Sweaty I don't have any of Bryan's solo records

I think they did an excellent cover of Jealous Guy and I prefer their version too (and I'm a Lennon fan). There's a few of Bryan Ferry's solo songs I really like, but I much prefer his work with Roxy Music. I did used to have one of his solo albums, Taxi, but I bought it on tape and outed all those a few years ago.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
foryourpleasure.jpg

on 7th December 1972 they played in the U.S.A for the first time. They support a.o. Jethro Tull, Humble Pie and Ten Years After.
In Feb.1973 Roxy Music record their second album For Your Pleasure at Air Studios London.
Roxy Music release the non album single Pyjamarama on 23-02-1973
The second Roxy Music album 'For Your Pleasure' is released on 30th March 1973.
The cover girl is Amanda lear, Bryan's girlfriend at that time
Roxy Music have tea with Salvador Dali in Paris. :)

roxymusiteasalvadordali.jpg

For Your Pleasure and Editions of You.

:grinthumbpyja.jpg

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
" For your pleasure " is the Roxy album I own, every track a gem. I played it just the other day because of the interest of the thread.
The picture of the band having a" cuppa" with Salvadore Dali made me smile......how arty can you get !!:) The glam/art side of the band might have put some people off.......it would have been interesting how they would have gone down in the States playing with Tull....loved to have witnessed that.
Just asking Tony, is Roxys 2nd album the cream of the crop ?

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
For many people this one is the cream of the crop. Not for me though. Just wait and you'll see.:)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
:tup::snow2::snow2:

I'm a fan and have been since the 70's. Although I've only seen Brian Ferry and it was long ago.

I've got the first 6
Roxy Music (1972)
- For Your Pleasure (1973)
- Stranded (1973)
- Country Life (1974)
- Siren (1975)
- Viva! Roxy Music (live, 1976)
- Greatest Hits (anthology, 1977)
- Manifesto (1979)

I thought I had this? :pullhair:
- Flesh + Blood (1980)

my friend had this:
- The First Seven Albums (box, 1981)

favorites are
- For Your Pleasure (1973)- their best
- Country Life (1974)
- Avalon (1982)

although they all have a highlight

Not much a fan of Ferry's solo work but love Phil Manazera's albums
1975 Diamond Head
1975 Quiet Sun: Mainstream
1976 801 : 801 Live
1977 801 : Listen Now

Last edited:

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
As mentioned in my first post, a must have is this :

liveattheapollo.jpg

A beatiful on form Roxy, enough wonderful songs for both camps. Those who are fan before the break and those after the break:

Asong for Europe and Tara:

:grinthumb

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Stranded

Roxy-Music-Stranded-316730.jpg

Melody Maker announces that Eno is leaving the band. Eddie Jobson joins the band.
Their third single Street Life is released in november 1973. On the b-side is instrumental Hula Kula.

Street Life
streetlife.jpg streetlife2.jpg

Roxy's third album Stranded is released on the 23rd November 1973. It is the first album that will reach no.1 in the UK

So, that's the biography part, now to answer Sox's question. This is my favorite Roxy album. Why? Because it always does something to me. In turns it can irritate the heck out of me and at other times I'm blown away by it.

The album begins 'normal' enough with straight forward Roxy rocker Street Life. You'll hear Eddie's violin for the first time. Then the second song is a bit of a strange affair, low down crooning? Amazone is next with loads of strange effects. At the end is where it can irritate me, high pitched sounds.

Psalm, really, is a gospel song, not something that was done a lot those days. Before this ends up being a album review I will end this by saying that A Song for Europe and Sunset for me are the strongest songs. Listen to them with a good headphone and you're going places!!.

The lady on the cover is Marilyn Cole.

Street Life and Sunset

:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online