Roxy Music (Official Thread)

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score

In a review from their first album a reviewer stated that Roxy Music could be of potentially big musical influence.
As influences for Roxy themselves he said are King Crimson and Velvet Underground amongst others.

Roxy Music played a kind of Glamrock but with more experimental and sophisticated elements and stood out because of the stylish and bizarre costumes they wore. It’s also said they are a huge influence on punk bands and early New Wave acts.
What made them musically interesting is the feud between Bryan and Eno. Bryan had a shine for Beatles like tunes and American soul. Eno on the other hand wanted to change the ongoing rock music with his keyboard experiments.

After their second album For Your Pleasure Brian Eno left the band. Fans were afraid that would change the originality of the music but replacement Eddie Jobson more than made up for that with his synthesizer play and his electric violin. Also Bryan Ferry could up his stage performance due to Eddie taking over the keyboards.

Roxy Music split up after Siren and came back with the release of Manifesto in 1979. Their music changed becoming more and more crooning pop songs.

Some interesting events leading up to the formation of Roxy and their first album.

- Bryan Ferry loses his job teaching ceramics due to his classes turning into listening sessions
- Bryan had an audition with King Crimson. He didn’t get the job although Mr.Fripp is impressed enough to recommend him to his management.
- Bryan further advertised for a keyboard player and Andy Mackay responded to that. Andy also brought along a friend. That friend was Brian Eno.
- In trying to come up with a name for the band Bryan and Andy searched a list of cinema names. Initially they wanted the name Roxy. That couldn’t go through with that due to an American band using that name. The word ‘music ‘was added as a pun on Rock Music.
- Together with Graham Simpson, Brian Eno, Dexter Lloyd and Roger Bunn they recorded early versions of The Bob Medley, Ladytron, Grey Lagoons, Chance Meetings and 2HB.
- Richard Williams wrote a good review in Melody Maker in December 1971.
- In 1972 they recorded a Peel session.
- Roxy Music released their debut on Friday16th June 1972.

Discography:

- Roxy Music (1972)
- For Your Pleasure (1973)
- Stranded (1973)
- Country Life (1974)
- Siren (1975)
- Viva! Roxy Music (live, 1976)
- Greatest Hits (anthology, 1977)
- Manifesto (1979)
- Flesh + Blood (1980)
- The First Seven Albums (box, 1981)
- Avalon (1982)
- The High Road (live, 1983)
- The Atlantic Years (anthology, 1983)
- Street Life 20 Great Hits (anthology, 1986)
- The Ultimate Collection (anthology, 1988)
- Heart Still Beating (live, 1990)
- More Than This (anthology, 1995)
- The Thrill Of It All (4 cd box set, 1995)
- The Early Years (anthology, 2000)
- Slave To Love (anthology, 2000)
- The Best Of Roxy Music (anthology, 2001)

In 2002 they released the Live a The Apollo dvd. Well worth the time and money!!

What I personally like about Roxy Music is their mix between croners/ballads, space/dream like anthems and all out rockers.

Recommend tracks:

Re-Make/Re-Model
If There is Something
In every Dream Home a Heartache
Editions of You
A Song For Europe
The Thrill of it All
End Of The Line
Both Ends Burning
Do The Strand
Pyamarama
Avalon

(vids - Editions of You and Song For Europe)

Sources:
The Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music Archive - Roxyrama!
Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roxy_Music
Roxy Music Official Website

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Very nicely done Tony...:grinthumb

My brother had a copy of "Country Life" that was the first time I ever listened to Roxy Music but for some reason I never explored them for years.

When Avalon came out I bought it and enjoyed it immensely, it remains my favorite record.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Their first album was recorded for 5000 pounds. Producer was Pete Sinfield.
The first single ( Virginia Plain) is released after the album release and reaches no.4 on the singles charts in the UK.

(image first RM album)

roxymusicfirst.jpg

Remake/Remodel and Virginia Plain:

:grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Interesting reading Tony :grinthumb And I didn't know Bryan used to be a ceramics teacher!

I've always liked Roxy Music, from the very first time I heard one of their songs playing - 'Dance Away' back when I was a nine/ten year old. I just love Bryan Ferry's voice, at times haunting and hypnotizing and the rest simply fabulous :)

They have so many tracks that I adore, here's my all time favourite

Same Old Scene

I've always been quite surprised there seems to be so few fans here at CRF.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Not sure why they didn't have a bigger following Tray, not just here but most other music forums it's the same. I wrote a thread for them years ago and ended up talking to myself mostly...:oyea:

One thing that is unique with this band is their guitarist, Phil Manzanera. He tried to "disguise" his guitar more than making it stand out unlike so many other bands that are the opposite.

I think I have 3 Roxy Music albums...I'll check when I unpack everything.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
I was ready to fill this thread all one on my own. Thanks LG and Tray for your posts.
It's funny indeed there are so few followers of this band . There's something for everybody in the music of Roxy. :grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I've tried my darndest to get Sox into Roxy Music but he's having none of it, he says he can't be doing with Bryan's voice - and that's one of the things I love most about their music!! I have to pick my moments to indulge in their music when Sox isn't within earshot - unless I'm wanting to annoy him of course :heheh:

I'll definitely be following this thread Tony :grinthumb

Btw, there was a thread here some time ago for you to name your top Roxy Music tracks...I'll just go and search... yes, found it, here it is: http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f49/top-10-roxy-music-tracks-6054/

I see Lou posted on that thread, we'll have to point him in this direction :)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Im here Tray....yes I like Roxy Music but im quite embarresed to say I only own one of their albums and with me doing the 70s glam rock thread thats a bit shocking.
Great band....great musicians...Eno..Manzanera...and the brilliant Mackay on sax. I agree, poor Ferrys not everyones cup of tea..but I ve always had time for him.
Great thread Tony.....looking forward to your comments,regarding the pick of the early albums.The later stuff ? I think they lost the plot with the comeback album "Manifesto" IMO and followed up with as you say "crooners" all well done but not really the old Roxy Music we all used to love.
There were so much more to the band that met the eye. The track "In every dream home a heartache "......is quite simply one of the most chilling haunting tracks ever to be put to vinyl !! Excellent
Going to dig out Roxys 2nd album and give it a spin :grinthumb

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Well I have3 of their albums I think, I kind of liked them and then saw them live and thought I will get some of their albums. I don#t like Bryan on his own, way to smooth but with the band he was very good.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've tried my darndest to get Sox into Roxy Music but he's having none of it, he says he can't be doing with Bryan's voice - and that's one of the things I love most about their music!! I have to pick my moments to indulge in their music when Sox isn't within earshot - unless I'm wanting to annoy him of course :heheh:

I'll definitely be following this thread Tony :grinthumb

Btw, there was a thread here some time ago for you to name your top Roxy Music tracks...I'll just go and search... yes, found it, here it is: http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f49/top-10-roxy-music-tracks-6054/

I see Lou posted on that thread, we'll have to point him in this direction :)

I can see that...Bryan Ferry can have that affect on anyone. I like his cover of "Jealous Guy" better than Lennon's original, but like Master Sweaty I don't have any of Bryan's solo records.:nw:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online