Ronnie James Dio (Official Tribute Thread)

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Official Ronnie James Dio tribute thread

from blabbermouth.net

MACHINE HEAD Frontman Remembers RONNIE JAMES DIO - May 16, 2010
Guitarist/vocalist Robb Flynn of San Francisco Bay Area metallers MACHINE HEAD has posted the following message regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Dio was a true gentleman.

"MACHINE HEAD had the opportunity to open for HEAVEN & HELL in May of 2007, and having never met or toured with Ronnie James Dio, it was a HUGE honor for all of us.

"On the first night of the tour in Phoenix, Arizona we celebrated, uh, quite heavily, and though the Dio dressing was heavily fortified with an army of security, I somehow managed to bullshit my way in and say hello. He had no idea who I was, but acted like we were old friends. After that, he always made a point to poke his head in our dressing room and say 'hi,' or give Dave [McClain, MACHINE HEAD drummer] shit about 'his San Antonio Spurs choking,' or sometimes just to give us a $100-dollar bottle of wine they were going leave in their dressing room. All class.

"He was a powerhouse singer. Incredible tone, and grit. His voice onstage was ****ING LOUD!! Shockingly loud!! We were lucky enough to watch from side stage almost nightly, and all of us were blown away by how loud his voice was.

"His memory was staggering. He remembered my wife's name almost a year later, after only a brief one-minute introduction, and it charmed her to no end. He remembered my name a year after touring with him, in a crowd of people, without missing a beat, and asked how my kids were and kissed me on both cheeks when we said goodbye. I turned to my friend and was like, 'Dude, Dio just remembered my name and kissed me on the cheek, ****in' High 5!!'

"When my parents moved to Fremont, California as I began the seventh grade, it was a pretty lonely time for me. I became friends with a girl named Lori Kibby who played me the first heavy metal record I would ever hear. It was BLACK SABBATH's 'Heaven and Hell'. It terrified me, enthralled me, captured me entirely. The imagery, the name, the title, it made me want to listen over and over and over again, in particular the songs 'Heaven and Hell', 'Children Of The Sea' and 'Die Young'. My first garage band, (the awesomely-named INQUISITOR) covered 'Stand Up And Shout'.

"Would I have found metal without him? Maybe. But man, I feel so very fortunate to have had Ronnie James Dio as my first guide into the awesome world of metal.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you for everything you've done for music, Ronnie.

"Horns."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

MEGADETH Bassist ELLEFSON: DIO Was Truly One Of The 'Good Guys' In This Business - May 16, 2010
MEGADETH bassist David Ellefson has issued the following update:

"Just arrived home from our best-ever tour of South America, and our first-ever for Central America. I had a great time documenting the trip via video blogs, all of which can be seen in the MegaFanClub [official MEGADETH fan club].

"What an amazing journey!

"Of course our bright beam from the tour's glow was dimmed today when we learned of the passing of Ronnie James Dio. He was truly one of the 'good guys' in this business and a consummate pro, someone we can all take a que and learn from. We are all fans of his and he did many great things for MEGADETH and its members, starting starting as far back as his 'Dream Evil' North American tour in which we were the support band during the 'So Far, So Good...So What' tour. . . I'm very thankful to have gotten to know and tour with him in both MEGADETH and with Tim 'Ripper' Owens [former JUDAS PRIEST and current YNGWIE MALMSTEEN vocalist]. Wendy Dio [Ronnie's wife/manager] looked after Ripper's European tour where we played several shows with HEAVEN & HELL and we got to have many good moments with Ronnie during that tour. He is missed by us all.

"Our prayers go out to him and his family at this time.

"Other than that, time to rest before the European trek starting end of May in Lisbon, Portugual.

"See you then!"

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

RITCHIE BLACKMORE: RONNIE JAMES DIO 'Had A Unique And Wonderful Voice' - May 16, 2010
Ronnie James Dio's former RAINBOW bandmate, guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, has released the following statement regarding the passing of the legendary heavy metal singer:

"Ronnie had a unique and wonderful voice. He will be sadly missed in the rock and roll world."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

KISS: 'We Mourn The Tragic Passing Of The Great RONNIE JAMES DIO' - May 16, 2010
KISS has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"We mourn the tragic passing of the great Ronnie James Dio. In addition to his powerhouse vocal ability, Ronnie was a true gentleman who always emanated great warmth and friendship to us and everyone around him. We will miss him."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

Ex-DIO Guitarist ROWAN ROBERTSON Comments On RONNIE JAMES DIO's Passing - May 16, 2010
Former DIO and current DC4 guitarist Rowan Robertson has posted the following message regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"I am privileged to have been a part of Ronnie James Dio's life and music. His closest ones are in my thoughts."

In the late 1980s Robertson heard that Dio was looking for a new guitarist. He sent a tape to the record company Phonogram. After six months of waiting, he got a reply that stated that at that moment they were not interested in him. At the encouragement of his friend and fellow guitarist Sean Manning (HURRICANE) the tenacious Robertson then contacted the DIO fan club who then asked him to send his demo tape to them.

Robertson, who was 17 years old at the time, got a great response from DIO after receiving the demo through the fan-club channels. In late January or early February 1989 Robertson was flown to Los Angeles for an audition with DIO. He was auditioned twice. Immediately after the second audition he was invited to join the band. The press-release for the addition of Robertson to DIO was sent out on July 18, 1989 and the press was invited to meet the newest DIO guitarist on July 20, 1989 at Oliver's Pub in New York City.

The first DIO album Robertson started working on with DIO was "Lock up the Wolves". These sessions included Jimmy Bain, Vinny Appice and Jens Johansson. The band had already begun writing and recording when Jimmy Bain and Vinny Appice were suddenly excused from the band. They were replaced with Teddy Cook and former AC/DC drummer Simon Wright.

"Lock up the Wolves" was released in 1990, and the band embarked on a tour in support of the album.

Robertson stayed with DIO until Ronnie James Dio rejoined BLACK SABBATH in 1991.

Dio and Robertson had been writing songs for an album to be released in May 1991 which ended up being shelved. When the DIO band was put on ice, Robertson started work on an instructional video for guitar players. It was released on Star Licks in July or August 1991. He then teamed up with vocalist Oni Logan (ex-LYNCH MOB) and drummer Jimmy Paxson (from TRIANGLE) and began to write and record on an album together for Atlantic Records.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

DANNY VAUGHN: RONNIE JAMES DIO Was 'One Of The Best-Loved People In Music' - May 16, 2010
Vocalist Danny Vaughn (TYKETTO) has posted the following message regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"It's difficult when bad news comes to you from the online news headlines. It's impersonal and it often makes it more difficult to grasp the reality of what has happened. So I'm still shaking my head in denial that Ronnie James Dio is gone. Aside from listening to, and covering, his music for many years, I met Ronnie a couple of times over the years and I'll tell you what everyone else that has ever met him will tell you: He was one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Friendly, engaging, intelligent, gracious, I felt like we had been good friends after five minutes of conversation.

"The first time we met we talked about album artwork and the meanings behind some of his. I had only really been in the big world of touring rock bands for a couple of years at that point and was anxious to learn anything I could from someone like him. Let's face it, nobody had a voice like that. It seemed impossible that a sound so huge and powerful could come out of such a slender frame. So I asked him for any advice about keeping his voice fit. Vocal exercises? Eating and exercise regimens? Prayer?? Lol! He gave me a very gentle smile and looked almost embarrassed when he answered me and said, 'I gotta be honest with you, I don't know. I just walk out on stage and the voice is there.' And that has turned out to be a statement that I never forgot and have used again and again as I've walked out on stage.

"I saw Dio live not too long ago and he was still belting it out, all the songs I know and love so well, in the original keys. I was as stunned then as I was when I saw the 'Holy Diver' and 'Last In Line' tours.

"I don't know why, but it really hurts that he's gone.

"My thoughts go out to Wendy Dio, whom I have not had the pleasure of meeting. I know she will take some comfort in the fact that Ronnie was one of the best-loved people in music."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

Ex-ATTACKER Singer: Bidding 'A Respectful Farewell To Our Fallen Father Of Heavy Metal' - May 16, 2010
Vocalist Bob Mitchell (THE BOB MITCHELL BAND, MIND ASSASSIN, ATTACKER, VYNDYCATOR) has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Metal legend Ronnie James Dio dead at 67.

"I can't believe that I am actually experiencing this. I am truly devastated. But in his death, I find strength to carry on. I have my family, my work at the hospital and the support of my closest friends.

"This is a very sad day, to say the very least. I am truly hurt by the loss of our friend and hero, Ronnie James Dio.

"If there are any of you who recently had a falling out with someone you care for deeply, please remember to hold them close to your heart, because as it is still proven, life is way too short.

"Many of my heroes are fading, but their works and legacies are the only things to hang on to and cherish.

"I feel really bad for the younger fans of music today as they will never have what our generation had. There is no one to look up to with these future bands. These kids will not have a DIO, a JUDAS PRIEST, a Dean Martin or a BEATLES. Think of what is out there now.

"To any of the veteran bands, please continue to carry the torches and lets show the young ones what rock and metal is really about. Let us use our wisdom to guide them and make them appreciate what once was and can possibly be.

"I keep Ronnie James Dio in prayer and always will to his family, friends, former bandmates and his fans. Let us unite and bid a respectful farewell to our fallen father of hard rock and heavy metal."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

JUDAS PRIEST On DIO's Passing: 'RONNIE Was A Wonderful Man And Will Be Sorely Missed' - May 16, 2010
British heavy metal veterans JUDAS PRIEST have released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"We are filled with great sadness at the terrible news about our friend Ronnie James Dio.

"Our condolences and love go to Wendy [Dio, Ronnie's wife/manager] and Ronnie's family.

"Ronnie was a wonderful man and will be sorely missed."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

SLASH: RONNIE JAMES DIO's Music 'Will Live For Eternity' - May 16, 2010
Guitarist Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES) has posted the following message regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Ronnie died at 7:45 a.m. this morning, but his music will live for eternity."

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Not good at all, one of my all time fave vocalists, it is a very sad day, my heart goes out to his friends and family, may his memory live on forever, this is why you should live every day to the max.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online