Ronnie James Dio (Official Tribute Thread)

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Official Ronnie James Dio tribute thread

(from blabbermouth.net)

GLENN HUGHES: DIO 'Was A True Leader Of Heavy Metal... An Icon And A Visionary' - May 16, 2010
Vocalist/bassist Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH) has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"It is a very sad day today... I have lost a very dear friend.

"Ronnie was a true leader of heavy metal... an icon and a visionary... There will never be another like him.

"Ronnie gave me wisdom, and showed me great compassion when he was in ELF, all those years ago, when we were on tour together in my time in DEEP PURPLE. He was a beautiful soul, kind, considerate and a wonderful teacher.

"Some day I'll be bringing your microphone up there with me, and we'll sing a song, and share a Vindaloo together...

"I'll miss, you mate."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

(from blabbermouth.net)

EDDIE TRUNK: DIO Was 'One Of The Classiest, Most Sincere, Real People You Could Ever Know' - May 16, 2010
Eddie Trunk — co-host of the VH1 Classic television program "That Metal Show" who has a long-running radio show, "Friday Night Rocks", on New York's Q104.3 FM — has posted the following message on his official web site:

"This is a blog I truly wish I was not writing.

"My hands are shaking on the keyboard, so excuse the typos.

"I lost a dear friend today, someone who I loved way beyond just the brilliant music he gave the world for decades.

"Sadly, it has been confirmed that Ronnie James Dio has lost his battle with cancer.

"In my 27 years in the business I have never met anyone like Ronnie.

"I am fully aware of people that I deal with, and people that deal with me, because it's the business and what we do, but Ronnie was way beyond that. Nobody ever gave me the public show of support and respect back like Ronnie, and our friendship went way beyond the business.

"I will never forget the first time I did a TV interview with him. I had done years of radio but when I first started as a host at VH1 Classic doing interviews under the show name 'Hangin With...' Ronnie was one of the first to come in. I was wrapping up the interview and thanked him for coming by when he stopped me in mid-sentence and said, 'No, thank you. More artists should be thanking you because your the real deal and you keep us alive.' On camera, out of nowhere, early on in my TV career.

"That was Ronnie James Dio. One of the classiest, most sincere, real people you could ever know.

"Sometimes it's hard to find nice things to say about people when they pass. Not Ronnie. I could go on forever with similar stories and so can anyone else that had the honor to call him friend. I have memories and stories for a lifetime that I will cherish forever, way too many to get into here, especially in my current state as I type this.

"Video of the last time I saw Ronnie is on the home page of [my official web] site. It was at the Golden Gods [Awards] in L.A. April 8th of this year. I had asked him to be a guest on 'That Metal Show' a few days earlier. Wendy [Dio, Ronnie's wife/manager] called me the day before this interview and said he was not well and they were headed to the doctor. You could imagine how thrilled I was to see him on the red carpet for the awards the next day. He told me he had a bad reaction to a treatment but was okay. Needless to say, I was hoping the same recovery would happen when news came my way early this morning that he was not well. Tragically it didn't.

"The man fought this as bravely as anyone could as you can see by how he looks and sounds in the clip.

"Ronnie and I spoke on the phone when he was first diagnosed privately. It was a great conversation.

"I always knew how he felt about me and after we spoke he knew how I felt about him.

"I really need to process this. It is a tough one, to say the least. Between RAINBOW, DIO and SABBATH, his voice was consistently the most heard on my radio shows, and that will never change; the music truly will live on forever and I will see to that on my end, for sure.

"To his fellow fans, friends and family, I express my deepest sympathy for your loss and I shed the same tears as all of you today.

"We have lost a legend. A brilliant musician but way beyond that, and more importantly, one of the classiest nicest people you could ever hope to know.

"Rest in peace, my friend. You will be missed, but know I and so many more you touched will be sure you are never forgotten through your music and love and friendship you gave us all."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

(from blabbermouth.net)

TWISTED SISTER: DIO Was 'One Of The Nicest People You Would Ever Want To Meet' - May 16, 2010
TWISTED SISTER has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"The members of TWISTED SISTER, along with millions of metal fans around the world, mourn the death of our friend Ronnie James Dio. Ronnie not only was a giant in the worldwide metal scene, but he was also one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Beginning in 1983 when we first toured with Ronnie in Canada, and continuing over the last seven years when we played dozens of festivals around the world, Ronnie was one of the most supportive and gracious members of the music community.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Wendy and Ronnie's family."

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Those are very poignant comments 70's Guy, and I feel the same, I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Ronnie James Dio. He was class from the beginning to the end, and we all have lost someone special today.:(

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

(from blabbermouth.net)

DREAM THEATER Drummer On DIO's Passing: 'This Is One Of The Saddest Days In Metal Ever' - May 16, 2010
Drummer Mike Portnoy of progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER has posted the following message regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio... one of the greatest of all time.

"Looks like Dime [late PANTERA guitarist 'Dimebag' Darrell Abbott], Randy [Rhoads; late OZZY OSBOURNE guitarist], Cliff [Burton; late METALLICA bassist] and Bonzo [late LED ZEPPELIN drummer John Bonham] just scored the ultimate singer.

"This is one of the saddest days in metal ever."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

(from blabbermouth.net)

OBITUARY Guitarist: There's Not A Person In Metal Today That Doesn't Owe Something To DIO - May 16, 2010
Guitarist Ralph Santolla (OBITUARY, DEICIDE, DEATH, ICED EARTH) has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"There's not a person in metal today that doesn't owe something to Ronnie James Dio. I had the honor to meet him once, and to see him perform many times, including on [1980's] 'Black and Blue' tour [featuring BLACK SABBATH and BLUE ÖYSTER CULT]. He seemed to treat everyone he encountered as an equal, but few are his equals.

"I'll be featuring his music with RAINBOW, DIO and SABBATH on this week's 'The Santollicas' [the new Bogota, Colombia-based radio show hosted by guitarist Santolla and his wife, Svetlana].

"Rest in peace, and God bless you."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

(from blabbermouth.net)

ANTHRAX Guitarist SCOTT IAN: RONNIE JAMES DIO 'Always Had A Kind Word And A Smile' - May 16, 2010
ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian has posted the following message regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio. Horns at half mast. Such a huge loss...

"So many memories of Ronnie. Toured together many times. He always had a kind word and a smile and he LOVED the Yankees.

"In 2004 on the DIO/ANTHRAX tour I would get the Yankee score every inning for Ronnie while he was on stage. He was so into it.

"Saw BLACK SABBATH on the 'Black & Blue' tour [featuring BLACK SABBATH and BLUE ÖYSTER CULT] at Madison Square Garden [in New York City] in 1980. First row center.

"Ronnie was king of the world. Top 3 shows of all time."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

(from blabbermouth.net)

DAVID COVERDALE 'Very Sad' To Hear Of DIO's Passing - May 16, 2010
WHITESNAKE mainman and former DEEP PURPLE vocalist David Coverdale has posted the following message regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"[I was] so very sad to hear of Ronnie's passing... My thoughts, prayers and condolence to his family and friends."

taha

Reaction score

Thanks for keeping us up to date on Ronnie , sad

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online