Review Rolling Stones - Aftermath (1966)

album review

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
1713480708060.jpeg

Released 15 April 1966 (UK)
20 June 1966 (US)

Background Information:
Aftermath, first released on 15 April 1966, by Decca Records is the fourth British studio album by The Rolling Stones. It was released in the United States on 20 June 1966 by London Records as their sixth American album. The album proved to be a major artistic breakthrough for The Rolling Stones, being the first full-length release by the band to consist exclusively of Mick Jagger/Keith Richards compositions. Aftermath was also the first Rolling Stones album to be recorded entirely in the United States, at the legendary RCA Studios in Hollywood, California at 6363 Sunset Boulevard, and the first album the band released in stereo.

The album is also notable for its musical experimentation, with Brian Jones playing a variety of instruments not usually associated with rock music—including sitar on "Paint It, Black", the Appalachian dulcimer on "Lady Jane" and "I Am Waiting", the marimbas (African xylophone) on "Under My Thumb" and "Out of Time," harmonica on "High and Dry" and "Goin' Home", as well as guitar and keyboards. The songwriting featured some of the Stones' most overtly misogynistic lyrics and, though full of experiments (as noted above), the music was still wholly rooted in early Chicago electric blues.

Track Listing:

All songs by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

Side one:
"Mother's Little Helper" – 2:45
"Paint It, Black " – 3:21
"Stupid Girl" – 2:56
"Lady Jane" – 3:08
"Under My Thumb" – 3:41
"Doncha Bother Me" – 2:41
"Goin' Home" – 11:13

Side two:
"Flight 505" – 3:27
"High and Dry" – 3:08
"Out of Time" – 5:37
"It's Not Easy" – 2:56
"I Am Waiting" – 3:11
"Take It or Leave It" – 2:47
"Think" – 3:09
"What to Do" – 2:32

General Review:
This album is great for any Stones fan! Brian Jones plays a wide arrangement of instruments on the album, including sitar on "Paint it Black" and "Mother's Little Helper". Also plays Appalachian dulcimer on "Lady Jane" and "I Am Waiting".

Goin' Home is the perfect song for a nice slow kinda of jam song if your in the mood for it. It starts off slow but gets better and almost sounds like Jim's lyircs. I would check it out!

Personal Favorites off the Album:
Mothers Little Helper
Doncha Bother Me
It's Not Easy
Lady Jane
Going Home
Out Of Time
Under My Thumb

Mothers Little Helper and Paint it Black both have Brian Jones on the sitar. They are both extremely popular songs of the time and Paint it Black is known world-wide!

Lady Jane is a very slow love-ballad type song with great guitar work from Keith Richards and Brian Jones plays dulcimer. Mick Jagger add's soft vocals and it's one of my favorite tracks. It's my moms favorite Rolling Stones song.

Doncha Bother Me is a great blues song, with Brian Jones on slide-guitar doing some of his best works. If you like Little Red Rooster by the Stones, you'l love Doncha Bother Me. Trust me on that!

Be sure to check this album out it is very rewarding, one of my favorite Stone's albums all-times! :cheers:

T_Dude

Reaction score
Re: Rolling Stones - Aftermath Album Review

I have a few Stones' albums, but not this one. Your review has inspired me to get hold of it!

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Good job Rollingstoned! A nice thorough piece of work! I'll now be embarassed to post reviews as paltry as those I've written previously.

:wa:

And I might sneak a listen to "Aftermath" on The MAN's stereo tonight. Don't let Foxhound make you think that he's the only Stones' fan in the alleyway!

:D

Last edited:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Rollingstoned:

Excellent review! You've done a very nice job indeed. Play your mom some more Stones though. I'm sure she'd like the album "Flowers".

:D

You've reviewed the U.K. issue of "Aftermath", which is the right one to review since it has the better mix of tracks:

U.K. Aftermath Tracks

SIDE ONE

"Mother's Little Helper" – 2:45
"Goin' Home" – 11:13

SIDE TWO

"Out of Time" – 5:37
"Take It or Leave It" – 2:47
"What to Do" – 2:32

U.S. Aftermath Tracks

SIDE ONE

SIDE TWO

"Goin' Home" – 11:14

It's a good thing that the U.K. issue is as widely available as the U.S. one on this side of the Atlantic these days.

My personal favourites from the above listed tracks are, in no particular order, "Mother's Little Helper", "Lady Jane", "Out of Time", "Take It or Leave It", "Think" and "Paint It Black". The eleven minute opus "Goin' Home" is I think a substandard Stones' track and one I can live without.

:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I echo the accolades, well done RS.:grinthumb

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score

Glad you all enjoyed the review, I do it for other CRF users to read them and maybe learn something they didn't know. I will be writing more Stones reviews soon, I'm trying to do like 1-2 albums from a bunch of different bands just to get the review list active, then I'll finish up my favorite bands and some so-so ones lol.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

The album is also notable for its musical experimentation, with Brian Jones playing a variety of instruments not usually associated with rock music—including sitar on "Paint It, Black", the Appalachian dulcimer on "Lady Jane" and "I Am Waiting", the marimbas (African xylophone) on "Under My Thumb" and "Out of Time," harmonica on "High and Dry" and "Goin' Home", as well as guitar and keyboards. The songwriting featured some of the Stones' most overtly misogynistic lyrics and, though full of experiments (as noted above), the music was still wholly rooted in early Chicago electric blues.

Mothers Little Helper and Paint it Black both have Brian Jones on the sitar. They are both extremely popular songs of the time and Paint it Black is known world-wide!

Lady Jane is a very slow love-ballad type song with great guitar work from Keith Richards and Brian Jones plays dulcimer. Mick Jagger add's soft vocals and it's one of my favorite tracks. It's my moms favorite Rolling Stones song.

Doncha Bother Me is a great blues song, with Brian Jones on slide-guitar doing some of his best works.

Goin' Home is the perfect song for a nice slow kinda of jam song if your in the mood for it.

rollingstoned, great job! :grinthumb

You hit a grand slam homerun with this review.

I couldn't of said it better myself, even if I tried.

U.S. Aftermath Tracks

SIDE ONE

SIDE TWO

"Goin' Home" – 11:14

Maybe my favorite Rolling Stones album.

2egct1w.jpg

sq0ew4.jpg

Vintage

Vintage Rocker
Reaction score

Great review. Have give this one a spin later tonight...

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online