Review Rolling Stones - Aftermath (1966)

album review

joe

Reaction score
Re: Rolling Stones - Aftermath Album Review

In the UK back in that time the record companies wouldn't place singles on albums in a lot of cases, however in the US they would usually end up on a album due to various reasons like licenses. This was quite common from the mid '60's to the early '70's.

The Stones' label in the UK was Decca but in NA it was London which was owned by Decca. Decca formed the London label in the US after the ownership was split between the US and UK ownership thus Decca couldn't release UK albums in the US so they formed London to release albums in the US.

Does that make sense?:heheh:

There is quite a history of conglomerations, divisions, and take overs of record labels, license aquisitions and subsidary labels. Really, there should be a university course offered.:D

BTW, great review.:grinthumb

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Re: Rolling Stones - Aftermath Album Review

RSAftermathUK.jpg

Released 15 April 1966 (UK)
20 June 1966 (US)

Background Information:
Aftermath, first released on 15 April 1966, by Decca Records is the fourth British studio album by The Rolling Stones. It was released in the United States on 20 June 1966 by London Records as their sixth American album. The album proved to be a major artistic breakthrough for The Rolling Stones, being the first full-length release by the band to consist exclusively of Mick Jagger/Keith Richards compositions. Aftermath was also the first Rolling Stones album to be recorded entirely in the United States, at the legendary RCA Studios in Hollywood, California at 6363 Sunset Boulevard, and the first album the band released in stereo.

The album is also notable for its musical experimentation, with Brian Jones playing a variety of instruments not usually associated with rock music—including sitar on "Paint It, Black", the Appalachian dulcimer on "Lady Jane" and "I Am Waiting", the marimbas (African xylophone) on "Under My Thumb" and "Out of Time," harmonica on "High and Dry" and "Goin' Home", as well as guitar and keyboards. The songwriting featured some of the Stones' most overtly misogynistic lyrics and, though full of experiments (as noted above), the music was still wholly rooted in early Chicago electric blues.

Track Listing:

All songs by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

Side one:
"Mother's Little Helper" – 2:45
"Paint It, Black " – 3:21
"Stupid Girl" – 2:56
"Lady Jane" – 3:08
"Under My Thumb" – 3:41
"Doncha Bother Me" – 2:41
"Goin' Home" – 11:13

Side two:
"Flight 505" – 3:27
"High and Dry" – 3:08
"Out of Time" – 5:37
"It's Not Easy" – 2:56
"I Am Waiting" – 3:11
"Take It or Leave It" – 2:47
"Think" – 3:09
"What to Do" – 2:32

General Review:
This album is great for any Stones fan! Brian Jones plays a wide arrangement of instruments on the album, including sitar on "Paint it Black" and "Mother's Little Helper". Also plays Appalachian dulcimer on "Lady Jane" and "I Am Waiting".

Goin' Home is the perfect song for a nice slow kinda of jam song if your in the mood for it. It starts off slow but gets better and almost sounds like Jim's lyircs. I would check it out!

Personal Favorites off the Album:
Mothers Little Helper
Doncha Bother Me
It's Not Easy
Lady Jane
Going Home
Out Of Time
Under My Thumb

Mothers Little Helper and Paint it Black both have Brian Jones on the sitar. They are both extremely popular songs of the time and Paint it Black is known world-wide!

Lady Jane is a very slow love-ballad type song with great guitar work from Keith Richards and Brian Jones plays dulcimer. Mick Jagger add's soft vocals and it's one of my favorite tracks. It's my moms favorite Rolling Stones song.

Doncha Bother Me is a great blues song, with Brian Jones on slide-guitar doing some of his best works. If you like Little Red Rooster by the Stones, you'l love Doncha Bother Me. Trust me on that!

Be sure to check this album out it is very rewarding, one of my favorite Stone's albums all-times! :cheers:

Did you add this? If not, don't forget to cite your source material...
Aftermath (The Rolling Stones album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online