Rock Guitarist Leslie West's Leg Amputated

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Rock guitarist Leslie West, who rose to fame in the '70s power trio Mountain, has had his lower right leg amputated in a life-saving operation related to his diabetes, his wife said on Monday.

West, 65, underwent the emergency surgery after being admitted to a hospital in Biloxi, Mississippi, on Saturday when his leg started to swell and his foot went septic.

"The doctors tried for two days to save it to no avail. The decision to amputate was one that was necessary to save his life as the infection was spreading throughout his body," his wife, Jenni West, said in an email.

"The nursing staff and doctors have taken excellent care of him and should be called angels for their efforts and tenderness they showed us in this time of crisis."

West is expected to recover but faces extensive rehabilitation, a spokesman said.

Mountain is probably best known for its debut 1970 single "Mississippi Queen," a staple of classic rock radio. West has long struggled with his weight and type 2 diabetes.

His next album, "The Unusual Suspects," featuring such guitarists as Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, Slash of Guns N' Roses and Joe Bonamassa, does not yet have a release date.

"Leslie will, no doubt, bounce back with his unusually bionic blitz of guitarosciousness," Gibbons said in an email. "Leslie will always be playing and standing''

Rock guitarist Leslie West's lower leg amputated - Yahoo! News

Mr. T

Reaction score
Ohhhh man! This is very sad news. :uh: Even though done in order to save his life it still is a terrible thing. Thank God for modern prosthetics that will hopefully allow him to lead a normal life. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Leslie!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That is too bad, didn't know he had diabetes.

Hope he does make a full recovery and gets back to playing his guitar again.

hawk11

Reaction score
Back in 2002 I worked with a guy who claimed that his wife worked for Leslie's father and mentioned that he had a few toes amputated due to diabetes.

Leslie's one of my all-time favorite guitarists who grew up not too far from me and of course wish him all the best!

Last edited:

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Ohhhh man! This is very sad news. :uh: Even though done in order to save his life it still is a terrible thing. Thank God for modern prosthetics that will hopefully allow him to lead a normal life. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Leslie!

I can say this for a fact that it is possible to live a normal life. My grandpa had to have his leg amputated a few years ago due to excessive blood clots and he's doing fantastic. He still plays golf, cooks for our family gatherings and is quite active for his age. It's like as if he has never had the leg amputated at all.

I am not very familiar with Mountain/Leslie West's work outside of Mississippi Queen however I wish him the best and I hope that he can get back to doing what he loves doing.

Mr. T

Reaction score
I can say this for a fact that it is possible to live a normal life. My grandpa had to have his leg amputated a few years ago due to excessive blood clots and he's doing fantastic. He still plays golf, cooks for our family gatherings and is quite active for his age. It's like as if he has never had the leg amputated at all.

I am not very familiar with Mountain/Leslie West's work outside of Mississippi Queen however I wish him the best and I hope that he can get back to doing what he loves doing.

That is wonderful about your grandpa ladyb! :) Hope the same holds true for Leslie.

Considering how iconic both "Mississippi Queen" and Mountain are, I'm kind of surprised at the lack of response to this news. Do we just consider our past heroes disposable after their prime? I hope not...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm sure many younger people don't know who Leslie West is or much about Mountain either TUNEZ.

The way so many people have been dying off recently I honestly didn't know if Leslie West was still alive until reading Groovy's post.

Mr. T

Reaction score
I'm sure many younger people don't know who Leslie West is or much about Mountain either TUNEZ.

The way so many people have been dying off recently I honestly didn't know if Leslie West was still alive until reading Groovy's post.

I suppose you are right LG... showing my age again...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online