Robin Trower (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Re: Robin Trower

I don't have a guitar but would happily get one and throw it into a pear tree, I saw him a few years ago and Ainsly Lister band supported if I remember rightly, I think it was the same gig as Sox but my memory is fading, what a great guitarist, BLT is a classic.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

I don't have a guitar but would happily get one and throw it into a pear tree, I saw him a few years ago and Ainsly Lister band supported if I remember rightly, I think it was the same gig as Sox but my memory is fading, what a great guitarist, BLT is a classic.

I've never lived remotely close to anywhere he performed.. I could kick myself for working through the 80's and 90's 7 days a week and never going to any concerts.. Robin Trower has to be one of my top 3 favorite bands ..
There isn't many guitarist who can sound like Robin..
I always thought it was tragic he had to live in the shadow of Jimi Hendrix..

Rocker440

Reaction score

Your right.. For some reason I was thinking of the BLT Cd and got a couple songs Jack Bruce did mixed up.. I'll check my CD since I'm bad with song titles..:heheh:

Edit: No wonder I was confused.. I just tried to find some You Tube songs off BLT and couldn't find the ones I was thinking of..
Little Boy Lost was one and "It's Too Late".. No idea why there are none of the BLT songs on YOU Tube..

No problem, Thump! :) Hearing many Robin Trower songs is always good to me! :tup:

I know what you mean, I've spent quite some time looking for many songs of videos both days gone by that I like to hear again and also for several favorites that I immensely enjoy which requires both some time to search as well as hopefully getting lucky, too! :heheh:

Thumper

Robin Trower has to be one of my top 3 favorite bands ..
There isn't many guitarist who can sound like Robin..
I always thought it was tragic he had to live in the shadow of Jimi Hendrix..

Same for myself, Thump! Robin Trower is a phenomenal and extremely talented guitar player, imo! My first experience of hearing him was when he was with Procol Harum, although I became much more interested in his music when he went solo. Jimmy Dewar was also very significant with both great, solid bass playing, songwriting, lyrics and I've always enjoyed his vocals. He is one of my favorite vocalists! I also believe with the addition of Bill Lordan on drums, the band really excelled and became much better with every following album!

Thump, for a while I kind of felt similarly, but I began to view Robin and his great playing as both a great continuation of many of the stylings of, and also a tribute to Jimi! All with immense respect, class and dignity! :tup:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

No problem, Thump! :) Hearing many Robin Trower songs is always good to me! :tup:

I know what you mean, I've spent quite some time looking for many songs of videos both days gone by that I like to hear again and also for several favorites that I immensely enjoy which requires both some time to search as well as hopefully getting lucky, too! :heheh:

Same for myself, Thump! Robin Trower is a phenomenal and extremely talented guitar player, imo! My first experience of hearing him was when he was with Procol Harum, although I became much more interested in his music when he went solo. Jimmy Dewar was also very significant with both great, solid bass playing, songwriting, lyrics and I've always enjoyed his vocals. He is one of my favorite vocalists! I also believe with the addition of Bill Lordan on drums, the band really excelled and became much better with every following album!

Thump, for a while I kind of felt similarly, but I began to view Robin and his great playing as both a great continuation of many of the stylings of, and also a tribute to Jimi! All with immense respect, class and dignity! :tup:

Agreed Rocker440.. I have some Procol Harum and it dosn't get played as much as all my Trower lp's..
I play Bass so naturally I'm all for trying to pick up Dewars style of playing..
Nothing bad against jack Bruce but I prefer Dewars Bass work a tad more.. I've polled Dewar against Jack before and Jack won out.. So to me the band mates don't seem to get much recognition and that stumps me since Trower has so many classic songs..
Oh well.. Not everyone has my taste in music..:heybaby:

Last edited:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

Two more Trower classics:

MP edit: Video removed from youtube

And now that I hear Day Of The Eagle again, I can't believe it's not the Essential Robin Trower cd I have.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Good tune R Evans.. great album..

Here's one of my favorites of Caravan to Midnight..

And here's a tune that is so Trower.. Happy feet music...:heheh:
MP edit: Video removed from youtube

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocker440

Reaction score

Here's another excellent song from the For Earth Below album!

MP edit:Removed dead video

:bow:

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score

All mint Trower examples. Terrific! One of my favs is Daydream. James Dewar.:grinthumb

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

I also believe with the addition of Bill Lordan on drums, the band really excelled and became much better with every following album!
Very keen observation. For me, the heart and soul of most bands begins and ends with the drummer. And because of my love for the drums, I always take notice of the drummer's contribution to a song more than most normally would.

Bill Lordan always seemed to be the type to stay "in the pocket' and never take the spotlight away from Robin, so in that sense he was a dutifull team-player of a drummer -- then again, the nature of Blues/Rock didn't lend itself to overtly flashy gratuitous drumming. But the one song he absolutely came to life on was "Alethea" from the live album, and man could he ever play. Based on his style of play I'd have to guess he had some Jazz influence, though he certainly was a power drummer on this tune.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Here's one of my favorites of Caravan to Midnight..

Caravan To Midnight was a pretty good album. Here's another goodun from that record:

And "Lost In Love" has a certain Hendrix flavor to it:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Staff online

Members online