Remembering 1968

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
One of my favourites from a very strong year was Everlasting Love by Love Affair (released in January). Singer Steve Ellis was the only member of the band on the record, as it was recorded with session musicians, an orchestra, a brass section and backing singers. Lack of hits in their own right and failure to succeed in America led to Ellis leaving the group in late 1969.

Steve Ellis reappeared in Widowmaker in 1976, which seemed equally ill-fated.

Everlasting Love had previously been a hit for Robert Knight in 1967. His recording of Love on a Mountain Top in 1968 was not a huge hit at the time, but it was revived and given a new lease of life by the northern soul dancers in the UK in 1974. Both songs were written by the underrated Buzz Cason and Mac Gayden.

E-Z

Reaction score
Even though in 1968 I was just an 11 years old 'kid' in the UK with no interest in music at that time what so ever other than liking Tommy Steel's Little White Bull and a song called Puff The Magic Dragon the BIG NAMES in the world of 'popular music' at that time that even myself as an 11 year old kid remembers hearing of was JIMI HENDRIX and CREAM so for even someone like myself a "kid" hearing those two names being mentioned on the radio and television they must have been making a BIG NOISE IN THE WORLD OF ROCK??.

E-Z

Last edited:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
'68 was unparalleled in terms of ubiquitous political and cross-societal tradewinds the timeless ripples of which are echoed within today's own human cultural controversies.The music?The only year that in my mind rivals 1967 as classic rock's greatest twelve month span..........................

OldHippie

Resident Yooper
Reaction score
234E7A15-46B6-458D-A28E-317CD683341F.jpeg
My 1968 Torino GT Fastback the day I bought it on a lot in Haywarden, Iowa in 2001.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online