Rebecca Black forced into homeschooling due to harassment from "Friday" song

ANF

Reaction score
I honestly don't see what is worse about Rebecca Black than the no-talent pop stars that Disney and other people hype up. Friday is a bad song, but honestly how much worse really is it than "Baby" by Justin Bieber?

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I honestly don't see what is worse about Rebecca Black than the no-talent pop stars that Disney and other people hype up. Friday is a bad song, but honestly how much worse really is it than "Baby" by Justin Bieber?

I agree, it isn't. Friday and Baby sound the same to me. Teenagers are the meanest of the mean and Rebecca's mum did the right thing by pulling her out of school. She has already learned what the world has to throw at her...enough is enough...too much in fact :pullhair:

Shaz

Reaction score
Me and my four sibs were home schooled until high school. I loved it and we were ahead of the other kids in many subjects when we started high school but I also enjoyed high school life too.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the home-schooling. Being forced to because of ridicule she's getting in school? That sucks. Unfortunately, most likely she can't just transfer from one school to the next because she's pretty much "world famous". What one big group of dickhead kids will do in one school will likely happen in another school.

Honestly, I feel bad for her. 15 yrs ago, this never would have happened. The internet is one cruel ****ing beast and it can exponentially feed more cruelty because of the number of people that are connected to it.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
I agree with Lynch. I can't claim to be a fan of "Friday" or Rebecca Black, but heck, there's a song worse that "Friday" that lists Lennon/McCartney as a songwriter. (Number 9... Number 9... Number 9).

The Internet is definitely a sick place, unfortunately. Make jokes about the song - god knows I do all the time. Just don't pick on Rebecca Black herself. Harrassment isn't on.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Add to it, the girl was 13 or 14 when the song hit the internet. I think the song is pretty dumb, but I'll add to it, that compared to some of the other SHIT that gets radio play in the Top 40 realm, there's nothing wrong with it at all, just not a genre I like.

But she's just a kid. Cruel bastards out there :mad:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
That's ****ing tragic. Poor girl. The U.S. school system doesn't teach you anything anyway, the whole point you go for is the social aspect...

I remember when some Nickelodeon stars were tweeting about how cool Rebecca is 'cause she tweeted about the new iCarly ep, and she legit asked them if they were trolling her. I thought that was kind of sad and kind of funny, but being pulled out of school for bullying is way, way too far.

Maybe the most annoying part is that Friday's no dumber than anything The Black Eyed Peas or Kanye West has ever written. Rebbeca's a little girl, what the hell is their excuse? Even regardless of the fact that a bad song is just about the stupidest reason in the world to genuinely hate someone, if you hate band songs so much then you might as well (A) go after someone who FREAKING WRITES THEM (I mean you've got to have a zero IQ if you thought RB wrote Friday herself), and (B) go after the people who have 50 songs as dumb as Friday instead of just ONE.

Me, I love the hell out of Friday, fantastic song. Her new single was boring though... she needs another baller first before she starts releasing ballads.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
^^^ Your love for pop music makes me smile. :heheh:

I've always been a firm believer in variety being the spice of life. I think rock will always be my genre of choice but the first EVER genre I appreciated was pop, and my music tastes seem to stem from that early influence. Even when it comes to rock, Zeppelin (and the occasional Sabbath on rare occasions) is about as "heavy" as I go. I enjoy pop music. It's a fun genre and not meant to be taken too seriously IMO. If I want to shake it to some Katy Perry then light a doobie (not really) to some Kashmir, I'll do it! :grinthumb

Rebecca's music is meant to be just that: fun and carefree. I don't know why these kids take it so seriously that they felt the need to taunt her. Jealousy, methinks.

Besides, if they think she's bad apparently they haven't given Jan Terri (a.k.a. my IDOL!) a good listen. :bow:

:heheh:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
^^^ Your love for pop music makes me smile. :heheh:

I've always been a firm believer in variety being the spice of life. I think rock will always be my genre of choice but the first EVER genre I appreciated was pop, and my music tastes seem to stem from that early influence. Even when it comes to rock, Zeppelin (and the occasional Sabbath on rare occasions) is about as "heavy" as I go. I enjoy pop music. It's a fun genre and not meant to be taken too seriously IMO. If I want to shake it to some Katy Perry then light a doobie (not really) to some Kashmir, I'll do it! :grinthumb

Rebecca's music is meant to be just that: fun and carefree. I don't know why these kids take it so seriously that they felt the need to taunt her. Jealousy, methinks.

Besides, if they think she's bad apparently they haven't given Jan Terri (a.k.a. my IDOL!) a good listen. :bow:

:heheh:

Rock is my favorite genre by about a thousand leaps and bounds, but I see it manifest itself in all kinds of different ways. More than anything I judge music by how it makes me feel... Like when I got into Burzum it felt to me more like Nirvana than STP or AIC or Mudhoney or Flipper ever could, with its bare bar chords, simplistic arrangements, and unbridled rage. It had that purity, simplicity to it that no one else had.

I see so much more of my all-time favorite artists like Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Tom Petty... inside the music of Taylor Swift, Paramore, and Ke$ha than in any of those indie rock bands, who all seem to be spending as much time on Arc as they do on Harvest. In my mind rock music is supposed to have big choruses, universal lyrics, and straight-forward song structures. Different takes on the same concept is how I see it....

In other words I'd get bored listening to 15 different thrash metal bands, but a few thrash, some groove, some black-thrash, some death.... and you're keeping my interest, lol. I love what you said about Katy & Kashmir, because that's exactly how I think, as well. It would make no better sense to listen to Ke$ha while you're trying to brood and reminisce on dark memories, than it does to listen to Revolution 9 when you're trying to dance. Different styles lend themselves to different moods and uses...

I also like what you said about Sabbath being as heavy as you go... Because yeah I listen to extreme metal, but I'm starting to realize that I've always been a pop guy at heart. I never knew why I could never get fully invested in indie rock or noise or death metal, etc, I mean I like them but it was never a know-every-song-by-heart kind of thing like I am with Neil or Floyd or Nirvana... Then when I got into pop music it all came together and made sense. The thing that those experimental bands lack, and my favorite rock bands exhibit, are simple straight-forward lyrics and big, fat, juicy pop choruses. Neil Young, Bob Dylan, The Doors, Alice In Chains, even Pink Floyd is full of 'em.

Classic rock is my favorite because it blends the artsy aspects with the full on pop beef. If another band were to come out that was like that, with 10 three-minute pop/rock songs and 2 ten minute experimental freakouts per album like a classic band... I would love the shit out of them, they'd be my favorite band. But until that happens, I'm'a sit here twiddling my thumbs and noticing how Taylor Swift exhibits probably 90% of what I love about Bob Dylan. Lush organic instrumentations, stark honest vocals that are more emotional than they are technically apt, intelligent true to life lyrics and straight forward verse-chorus-verse song structures. I've always been more about Tangled Up In Blue and It Ain't Me Babe, than Desolation Row and Visions of Johanna.

Sorry for the long post! I just felt my unadulterated love for pop deserved a proper frame of reference... Or else I just wanted to talk about pop for a good while. :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

Members online

No members online now.