Queen (Official Thread)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Re: The "Official" Queen Thread

You are right about that Cosmic,,,here's another one of my favorite Queen tunes.

Dragon Attack!!

"Dragon Attack" isn't quite a favorite of mine LG, but I do really love the guitar solo in it. :grinthumb

A few more of Queen's harder rocking songs...

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I Love This Version Of Love Of My Life...

....from Rock Montreal

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

^^^Freddie's vocals are top notch there. Brian is handling that 12 string beautifully as well. :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Let There Be Drums

Look at Roger Taylor go. He is such a captivating drummer. I love how the audience really got into things with the unprompted clapping. :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I was spinning Queen's Greatest Hits at work yesterday when a guy and his son came into my humble little pie shop. Next thing you know him and I are jamming to "Don't Stop Me Now" and his son just stood there looking soooooooooo embarrassed. :heheh:

whobeatle

classic rock fan
Reaction score

I Like some of the Queen+Paul Rogers album

Some of it even sounded like Queen, I hate Paul Rogers in Queen
worst most innapropriate choice, Mercury was so melodic, and operatic
and Rogers is just a bluesy guy everything he sings sounds the same with
no clever twists or melody

anyway.... Brian May didint write much good stuff,(for the new album),, but Roger Taylor wrote
some very Queenish stuff. and I like "The Cosmos Rocks" and "Say Its Not True"
and "Schools Out Surfs Up" quite a bit...somehow it still sounded Queenish

The rest of the Album Rogers ruined it and made everything else sound like a
Paul Rogers album with Brian May as his back up guitarist..

I dont expect much from the Queen re-issues in terms of good bonus tracks
because I dont think they have many left

I would really like to see, a May-Taylor album...call it Queen or May -Taylor I
dont care what they call it..

I would much rather hear May and Taylor sing new Queen than a blues guy like Rogers
if they feel they must get a singer... I hope they can get somebody that fits a little better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glDE43GOggc

Last edited:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I can't say that I was really impressed with "The Cosmos Rock" myself, whobeatle. The songwriting didn't really blow me away at all and Paul just didn't click for the new songs. I think "Return of the Champions" is a better album with Paul on vocals personally.

q24rotcukcdkk6.jpg

They shifted the songs that were originally recorded with Freddie a bit to make them more suited for Paul's style and while it does give off a small vibe of a cover album I think they all sound pretty good on it. You just have to take it for what it is, which is Queen with a very macho, bluesy singer at the helm instead of a flamboyant, operatic one.

if they feel they must get a singer... I hope they can get somebody that fits a little better

I still say they should draft George Michael. :D

george_michael_blue_jacket.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

I just found this on some other site discussing best rock vocals where Freddie was listed at #1. There was a poll asking if people think he's overrated or not. Most were simple answers like "yeah way overrated" or "the guy was the best". But one person left what I thought was a thought provoking post.

He is horribly overrated, as a vocalist he is, I say overrated because people simply flat out lie about his vocal background. He was NEVER trained in opera, for that matter he was never trained in vocals PERIOD hence why he blew his voice out and developed vocal nodules. I love Queen's music, it's one of my foundations for my taste in music but fans need to draw the line between favoritism and actual talent. Freddie had a beautiful natural tone but no real vocal technique to speak of, he was in choir when he was younger THAT WAS IT, even his doctor stated "never had a vocal lesson in his life, he had more vocal nodules this side of Stevie Nicks". Watch live in Wembly and you'll see what I mean, he simply has no range live, he damaged his voice due to improper singing. Or check out the Barcelona performance, oh wait that was lip synced. Praise the music of Queen, praise what Freddie wrote, he was a good singer for what he was worth and he had a tone unlike no other, that coupled with his different (nice word for improper) approach to high notes made him hard to forget, but he NEVER EVER could be considered one of the technical best in rock music. I'm not dissing Queen, I own their discography, so I probably own more and know more than many of you, but I'm saying that I'm tired of seeing this guy blown out of proportion.

I thought that was an interesting take, something you rarely see when discussing Freddie's vocal talents. I don't know if it's true or not, but figured I'd share.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I think that's kind of a backwards way to look at it. Yes it is true that Freddie suffered from vocal nodules and also never had any vocal training but if you ask me that just makes him a more impressive singer. Normally vocal nodules completely cripple a singer's ability to project their voice and at least halves their vocal range but in Freddie's case he carried on in fine form. He's like the Magic Johnson of singers or something. As far as the "Barcelona" album (which I love) is concerned though obviously he still had some major chops by that point since he was able to impress Montserrat Caballé enough to want to sing with him on that album.

For lack of a better term Freddie was a freak of nature when it came to singing because a lot of what that person said has merit to it but where his vocals should have been burnt out by probably 1981 Freddie was still impressive up until those last recordings on "Innuendo" and "Made In Heaven".

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online