Popular artist you can't stand

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't remember slamming Grammys or downplaying bands after 1989. I often talk up plenty of bands I like from eras past that. lol

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
A few things:

1) Britney Spears has been nominated for 8 Grammys and has sold 82 million albums. She has also been nominated for 19 Billboard awards, winning almost half of those.

2) Led Zeppelin was nominated for 1 grammy, ever. "Best new artist 1970"

3) Black Sabbath was FIRST nominated for a grammy in 2000, winning it for Paranoid. Wuh? Only 30 years late on this one. :rolleyes:

4) Queen was never nominated for a Grammy

5) Are we really going to use the Grammys as a proving ground for who does and doesn't suck? Milli Vanilli anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

settle down missy.

on the flip side, going into a "artists you can't stand thread" and complaining about what you see is also pretty lame brained. JM2CW

It's not just in THIS thread that people complain about it. We have some users here that take every opportunity to slam anything that is "new". It is irritating, and no I wasn't talking about you, ok? But since you did address the Coldplay stats (and I KNEW you would), thanks for proving my point.

And no Riff, I wasn't addressing you. You're actually great at accepting the newer stuff, and I appreciate that.

But the grumpy complaining from others tends to remind me of the "Drunk Uncle" sketch from Saturday Night Live. Yes, this is a classic rock forum, but being ignorant and not even listening to the newer stuff before you tear it to pieces, which I have seen people confess to doing, IS lame, and it makes this forum more and more tiring for more open-minded posters who can embrace anything after 1989. Why, just today when I logged in were there TWO more threads about how new music sucks, one about the AMA's and one about One Direction. There have been 5,862,870 of the exact same type of threads before it. Threads like that make our forum look like the bullies on the playground in grade school who poked fun at anyone who was different.

I think a Grammy is a great accomplishment by the way, and yes they do get it wrong at times and get caught up in the momentary hype of an artist (like your Milli reference), but winning SEVEN times is no fluke, so yeah that doesn't really matter to me.

Don't even bring up Britney Spears. Once again, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GENRE. Of course people here wouldn't like her. I don't care for her either to be honest.

And don't even get me started on how the Grammys have tended to shun the heavier rock acts, specifically Led Zeppelin. Wanna know how popular they were with the critics back in their day? Just ask Rolling Stone Magazine.

Bottom line is... don't like something? Don't listen to it.

I'm looking forward to the next dissected post (which if I remember correctly, LG said he doesn't like, but whatever. Carry on.)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh good, my misunderstanding then. My bad. :)
Carry on.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Oh good, my misunderstanding then. My bad. :)
Carry on.

You're good. See, if it really bothered me when someone didn't care for one of my favorite artists (Coldplay), I wouldn't even be talking to you right now. :heheh:

It's the ones who constantly gripe about it that really tick me off. I thought we got rid of the bad ones a few months ago but there seems to be a resurgence of that mentality lately.

Even LG and Magic have shown to be open to newer music. I think we all don't have to like it, but think about how the forum looks when that's all we see here. Thread after thread comparing "[insert new music act here] vs. Led Zeppelin/The Rolling Stones/The Beatles". Very annoying. I like that LG at least listens to something before he criticizes it, too.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone who calls themselves a music fan should listen before judging.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
TWO more threads about how new music sucks, one about the AMA's and one about One Direction.

I'm guessing this one is aimed at me my dumping on Beiber, which is cool.

In my defense, though, hauling around a girl's softball team for a handful of years, I have heard waaaayyy more Beiber than I care to admit. He's bland and cookie cutter to me.

Of course, I'm not a 14 year old girl, either. He's not geared to my demographic.

I think another thing that never used to bother me is image. After decades of my love affair with music, I'll admit, I can be jaded and cynical. I have no tolerance for the primping and the posing.

The whole "I'm tough check out how cool I am and how much of a bad@ss I am." thing just makes me tired.

I'm fully aware that it's the age thing, the generation gap. Kids today think all that is cool, the same way I thought Uncle Ted was awesomely menacing.

The attitude and image game are exactly the same for any generation, only the music has changes.

It's akin to the Breakfast Club. The Sports, the Burners, the Riches, etc. All those groups still exist to this very days in every high school, but the names of the groups have changed.

we had the Rah Rahs, the Hardrocks, the Eggheads, etc. Same dynamic, different title.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
^^^ Not at all, Vehicle. You're a very agreeable member, and you like Avril, which says a lot about how open you are. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online