Register to remove these ads

Pink Floyd - The Wall (1979)

Discussion in 'Album Reviews' started by ladyislingering, Apr 9, 2011.

1. electric funeral

electric funeral Just listening music

Re: Pink Floyd - "The Wall" (1979)

This is very, very very good. :grinthumb :grinthumb

2. ladyislingering

ladyislingering retired

Side D opens with the show Pink has been prepared to follow through with.

"The Show Must Go On"

This is another brief track with beautiful melodies. It appears to be an exchange between Pink and his road manager over whether or not he has to go through with this shit anymore, because he's lost the desire to do so, or the drive to understand why it must be done if he no longer feels the connection he once did to what he enjoyed (thus very much echoing Roger's feelings during the "In the Flesh" tour of '77).

There's only one stanza that I would like to draw attention to:

It is at this point that Pink begins to question the worth of his profession over the worth of his relationship(s) with humanity. The feelings present in the opening track of the album ("In the Flesh?") are revisited with a reprise of "In the Flesh" as the next track.

"In the Flesh"

Essentially at first it sounds identical to the first track on "The Wall" but it is realized at around 1:22 that this is something entirely different, with a harmonic display of tender melody. It then leads into a loud, raveous display. Pink has decided to go through with it, but he wants to know what his fans are giving back for his labour.

Lyrics (with commentary in red):

A riot breaks out over this talk, as terror and adrenaline take over. There is chanting. People begin to (yes, you guessed it)...

"Run Like Hell"

Another track on the album that operates wonderfully as a standalone track, "Run Like Hell" depicts a mob that is raging wild inside of Pink's head. The guitar in the intro feels quite nervous, as if it, too, is running. The song itself is packed with sound effects and a classic groove that is not meant to be ignored. These people are devoted to him and will do anything he says. He speaks precautions. It is my personal interpretation that Pink is stretching to have control over the figures in his head, instead of pushing them away he plans to work with them in any way possible. First he must figure out how to conduct himself in order to conduct them.

I find this is personally one of the most difficult songs on the album to actually understand and interpret, but this is what I have taken away from it.

Since Pink has made the conscious decision not to face himself yet, the "worms" (issues in his head) will someday get him. And he knows it very well. He's not able to hide from the worms.

"Waiting For the Worms"

This is another song that is extremely difficult to interpret. The dynamics of the song are very blunt, winding, and spellbinding. The vocals are shared and the voice of the judge is to be heard for the first time. The judge, I feel, is a symbol of Pink if he were to look at himself and assess what he does not like. Toward the end of the song, several voices are shouting "Hammer!" over and over. The "hammers" will assist Pink in destroying his inner demons.

Lyrics (commentary in red):

The judge (Pink's inner judge of his own character) can be heard as almost a megaphone voice throughout much of the song. This leads into Pink finally getting a grip on himself.

3. ladyislingering

ladyislingering retired

"Stop"

Pink's unusual hallucination comes to a close as he realizes that these thought patterns are unacceptable, and they are not who he is on the inside. "Stop" is the shortest Pink Floyd song of their entire catalogue, at just over 30 seconds long. The lyrics are of course very minimal, as is the song, but are open for interpretation, as it would not do alone as a standalone track.

As Pink begins to wonder these things about himself, he puts himself on trial in his mind.

"The Trial"

"The Trial" opens with the sound of a door opening (perhaps Pink stepping out of his comfort zone and before himself, metaphorically) and clacking footsteps. The song in itself is a complicated array of details galore, all of which need serious attention to actually get the point of the situation as a whole. This is what I've picked out from it.

This song as a whole is an incredibly impressive display of Roger's vocal skill and the orchestration is unbelievable for a "rock opera". It ends with the shouting to tear the wall down. It's very emotionally charging. The wall comes crashing down and Pink is exposed to the world once more. Exposed to himself. The conclusion to this rock epic comes rather abruptly.

"Outside the Wall"

Roger's voice is more like spoken word than song throughout this track, which is strikingly short, and leaves the listener wondering what's happened to Pink. The lyrics are minimal, and could be interpreted thousands of ways. Here's my interpretation.

The album comes to a hushed close.

4. ladyislingering

ladyislingering retired

A little personal input:

The first time I heard "The Wall" I was nearing sedation, deeply medicated, and I cried my eyes out. I put the album on the shelf for a couple years before taking it out again shortly after my relationship with my ex-fiance fell through. However, it wasn't until a moment in the shower just recently that "Mother" began to play in my head, and someone I'm very close to came to mind immediately.

He needed to hear this song, and so I brought it to his attention. He almost immediately fell in love with the entire concept of "The Wall" and I decided to begin an in-depth study. What I found was that I had changed his life, and in turn, I have changed mine so much with the message I have taken away from this terrific album.

My favourite tracks from "The Wall":

The Happiest Days of Our Lives/Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)
    Young Lust
    One of My Turns
    Another Brick in the Wall (Part III)
    Comfortably Numb
    Waiting for the Worms
    The Trial

A fair grading of "The Wall" on a scale from 1 (piece of shit) to 10 (absolute masterpiece):

I give it an 8.5. Not only is the storyline completely spellbinding, involving, and constantly under criticism by music fans (and devout Floyd fans alike) but there's twists and turns around every corner of the album. You never become bored with it unless you stop paying attention to the message.

I encourage counterpoints to my interpretations. I deeply encourage people who are huge Floyd fans to weigh in with some of their thoughts on the album, and what they agree/disagree with about some of my assessments here. Sometimes with an album this epic, you almost need a group review.

Thanks for reading. Let's have some debate.

5. ladyislingering

ladyislingering retired

Thank you! All sides have been posted now.

Mmmmmm. I wonder how many of us feel this way. A part of me will die when Roger does.

Thank you! It is a hell of an album, and this is undoubtedly the biggest project I have ever turned over on one single album. It is just incredible.

Thanks. Have a good read now that it's all up and put together. :grinthumb

6. architect

architect Supine In The Sunshine

Well done! That's quite a breakdown.

The Wall can be such a personal album beacuse it reflects humanity. Through Pink's/Roger's struggles we can all see something of that in our own lives.

Even though it should be listened to as a whole, a lot of songs on this album can be taken out of the context of the story and be appreciated on their own.

I think it's a pretty rare thing when a concept album can be enjoyed at face value and/or dissected piece by piece, as Lady's done a fine job with here.

I'd have to say my five favorite songs from The Wall would be...

Another Brick...Part 1
    Mother
    Is There Anybody Out There?
    COmfortably Numb
    What Shall We Do Now- I love Roger's lyrics in this song. It was not included on the official album release, only in the movie. I can't quite remember why though...

7. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

It was due to time constraints. The song was replaced by Empty Spaces, which is nearly the same thing, only a shortened version of What Shall We Do Now.

8. ladyislingering

ladyislingering retired

Awww man, I know. When I saw the film I was like, "what's this?" and it just got to me. I rather prefer it over "Empty Spaces", oddly. It's so snide and biting.

9. METALPRIEST

METALPRIEST Senior Member

Again GREAT job!! I think it's all SPOT ON!! I always saw the teacher during the Trial a bit differently though.

I always said he'd come to no good,
    in the end, your honour. (a way to say, yup I was right...pure ego)
    If they'd let me have my way
    I could have flayed him into shape. ( I could have beat him more instead of what I was already doing)
    But my hands were tied,
    the bleeding hearts and artists
    let him get away with murder. (The system/society doesn't allow abuse in school and frowns upon it...rightly so...but this guy is violent and nuts)
    Let me hammer him today. (he's dying for one more smack or many...being the sadistic jerk he his...or this could all be Pink's childhood fears and perceptions of this man's cruelty or supposed cruelty)

10. ladyislingering

ladyislingering retired

To give him one extra thrashing would still place him (the headmaster) above Pink (in Pink's mind) and the headmaster would perhaps still keep his "brick" in Pink's wall. So that makes a lot of sense, actually. Or maybe we're just overthinking it. :heheh: