Phil Collins retiring from music.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Thoughts?

Phil Collins Reportedly Retiring From Music Due To Health Problems - Stop The Presses!

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Retirement may be beckoning music legend Phil Collins to its paradise..

The 60-year-old musician reportedly plans to end his music career due to hearing problems, a dislocated vertebra and nerve damage in his hands -- all caused by a lifetime spent hunched over a drum set..

"I don't think anyone's going to miss me," he reportedly told FHM magazine in a recent interview, according to the UK's Daily Telegraph. "I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think, 'I can't be in the same business as this.' I don't really belong to that world... I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely.".

The former Genesis frontman, who has sold over 150 million records, reportedly plans to focus on raising his two sons, Nicholas and Matthew..

"I'm not worried about not being able to play the drums again, I'm more worried about being able to cut a loaf of bread safely or building things for my kids," he reportedly told the mag. "My doctors tell me it's a work in progress, that it will take about a year for me to recover.".

As for his inspiring percussion performances, Collins said, "I don't think I'll ever be able to do that again."

Check out all of the asinine comments on the bottom in the link. Must be Lil' Wayne fans. :rolleyes:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Well...it's good to see that he's going out of music to make sure he's able to stay healthy. It is sad to see another musician step down though. Plus, he's also doing it for his kids, which is a definite good thing in my opinion.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is going to miss me? I don't really belong to that world?

How sad....:uh:

Whether he belongs to that world or not, he is very much needed, wanted and will be missed. I wish him the best at a more laid back way of livin' and hope he feels better soon!

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
to sum up my feelings about this:

Dear Phil Collins,

Thank you for brightening the better half of my life with the music you created. Even the miserable AM-radio garbage toward the end of your career, which I am not ashamed to say that I absolutely adore. If you must do this to save yourself and achieve 30 more years here on earth, please do go for it. I love you.

Quite sincerely,
The Lady.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
It would be sad to see him go, but if he does then at least he left on his own terms and left behind a quite substantial body of work which will hopefully be enjoyed for decades to come :grinthumb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
He is right though, when you look at the MTV awards and similar other shows, he doesn't belong in that world. Neither do I. However, I'll say that I am very glad that Phil and his music were a part of my world for the better part of the last 30 years and I am happy to say that his recordings will be a part of my life until I die. He's been involved with some great things from the prog beginnings, so the more pop-oriented stuff, to the children(s) movies he's done soundtracks for.

I'm sorry to hear about having health problems though. I do wish him the best with that as well as his impending 'retirement'. If his decision is final and he wants to spend more quality time with his kids, I can't do anything but support him in that.

Good luck Phil. And thanks for everything you've given us. :cheers2

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I hate to see him go........but he has picked a good time in his life to retire. Once a person reaches their 60's it should be time to retire and enjoy life. He has spent a huge amount of his life on the road, I think he deserves to enjoy the rest of his life without the pressure of entertaining the world.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have no problem with him knowing when to call it a day. His work with Genesis and his own solo career have been first class and if he wants to lay back and enjoy his retirement then all the power to him.

Thanks for the memories Phil and the great music.:grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
It seems there has been some word misplacement amongst the media, here is a note straight from the legend's mouth on his official website:

Greetings to all, I've decided to write this in response to the articles that surfaced last weekend regarding my retirement. Why they were printed at all is a mystery, as I haven't spoken to anybody in the press for a few months.

However, many of the articles printed over the last few months have ended up painting a picture of me that is more than a little distorted. Therefore, I would like to add my comments and try to explain again my reasons for calling it a day.

1/ I'm not stopping because of dodgy reviews or bad treatment in the press.

2/ I'm not stopping because I don't feel loved, I know I still have a very large fanbase that loves what I do. Thank you.

3/ I'm not stopping because I don't fit in, this was proved with "Going Back" reaching No 1 in the UK, and doing incredibly well worldwide.

4/ I'm not stopping so I can dive full time into my interest for the Alamo.

I am stopping so I can be a full time father to my two young sons on a daily basis.

Some of the things mentioned above have been said by me in various interviews, but said as asides with a smile on my face and in passing. They were not meant to be "headlines", they were small parts of a conversation. This clearly doesn't come over in print and I should know better.

However, the result is that I have ended up sounding like a tormented weirdo who thinks he was at the Alamo in another life, who feels very sorry for himself, and is retiring hurt because of the bad press over the years.

None of this is true.

Thanks for all your messages on the Forum regarding this stuff, it means a lot that you care.
But there's no need for the straitjacket !

PC x

BREAKING NEWS - A Message From Phil... | Phil Collins

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online