Phil Collins retiring from music.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
^^^ Thanks for posting that. I thought all that maudlin sounded a bit fishy. Me old mum taught me never to believe one word that I read in the newspapers.

Kuaizi

Reaction score
I am so glad I shelled out the money to see the last Genesis tour! ;) But you never know, these musicians always say they are retiring, but end up coming back. It's hard to turn away on something so huge in your life like that.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Let's be honest, many of them go on way too long, all these OAP's reforming isn't especially clever I never think, though the Genesis re-union tour was amazing and well worth it. Never really liked much he did after the Genesis And Then There Were Three album, I always thought Peter Gabriel stuck to the true roots of that band, and even today PG makes really interesting and original music. But Phil was a great character, a fine singer, and an incredible drummer, I think he probably realises he doesn't have much more of any interest to say musically, and he's doing what all fathers should do and putting his kids ahead of everything else in his life, so good on you Phil, have a nice time spending all those millions, you deserve the rest!

the_spore

God Emperor
Reaction score
I read about this the other day. It gave me a sad. :(

But I would rather him be healthy and not making music than him be not healthy and making music.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
And now a retraction from people.com

Phil Collins Is Not Retiring - Health, Phil Collins : People.com

For the former Genesis frontman and drummer, there will be no exodus.

Despite a recent interview with FHM in which music legend Phil Collins, 60, said "it feels like a good time to stop for a while," he is not retiring from music, PEOPLE has confirmed.

"He is not, has no intention of, retiring," says his U.K rep.

Collins, who last year underwent surgery to treat nerve damage in his left hand, told PEOPLE in November that he was in the middle of taking time off so he could recuperate.

"At the moment I can't feel the fingers on my left hand or the ends of my fingers so playing drums or piano is probably – I can't do that at the moment," he admitted.

Collins said he did not feel frustrated by his health problems and further noted, "I'm quite adjusted to the idea that I won't play like I did again." (He had to tape his drumsticks to his hands when he recorded his last album.)

For now, the father of five, who lives in Switzerland, is contentedly enjoying his break. "I'm spending a lot of time at home with my kids," he said last fall. "That's really what I want to do and take some real serious time off."

joe

Reaction score
No matter what Collins does I support him. The man has a made a huge contribution to music from the PG-era of Genesis and I even like some of the AOR Genesis of the '80's.. My fav work from him is his fast-fusion project, Brand X.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online