I love the Mother Love Bone years.

Here is a GREAT segment from the original Hard 'N Heavy video magazine

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Pearl Jam

I love the Mother Love Bone years.

Here is a GREAT segment from the original Hard 'N Heavy video magazine

I think mother Love Bone was closer to a hair band honestly so the transition is kind of interesting to me. It's cool to see almost a bridge between the two music styles since one demographic vehemently hates the other statistically! :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I don't know if it was hair metal...was it closer? Sure..but almost ALL of the early grunge was just a new form of hair metal. They all had that look...little bracelets and T-shirts.

Pearl Jam/ AIC/ Soundgarden...I never looked at any of these bands as anything but "metal" or another style of metal, but then again, I remember when all this stuff came out.

I don't think the styles or the artits dislike each other. I find it to be more fan seperation than anything you know?

Nirvana would be inspired by KISS and Motley Crue could dig an AIC album.

That's how it works for me anyway. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I don't know if it was hair metal...was it closer? Sure..but almost ALL of the early grunge was just a new form of hair metal. They all had that look...little brcelets and T-shirts.

Pearl Jam/ AIC/ Soundgarden...I never looked at any of these bands as anything but "metal" or another style of metal, but then again, I remember when all this stuff came out.

I don't think the styles or the artits dislike each other. I find it to be more fan seperation than anything you know?

Nirvana would be inspired by KISS and Motley Crue could dig an AIC album.

That's how it works for me anyway. :grinthumb

It's more the fan bases. I mean what they called grunge put henail in the coffin of Glam and while you have bands that carried on like soldiers like Bon Jovi and Motley Crue you had other groups stuck in one gear that died and other ones choosing to be bitter about the evolution. A lot of fans of Glam had an idea about Rock N' Roll and what it was about with the sex, drugs and Rock N' Roll. They hated that the new metal (Grunge, Seattle Movement, Alternative Rock, etc.) became less about the party and explored a more gloomy side to things with music that dealt with things in a more cathartic way. Look at it this way, a lot of singers in Glam died from excess while Kurt Cobain died from his own hand. Both tragic but Kuirt gets more flack for his. Why? Because it was less glamorous. It seems that Glam Metal fans hate that the party ended. Everything's Emo or everything's depressing. I think both eras have their highlights but I love the melodies, content and intimacy of grunge better than the larger than life fantasy of it's predecessors. :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Right on. But you know the grunge movement was like 6 years as opposed to hair metal's 10-12-13 years....but these tags irk me more than anything.

Hair Metal...I mean whatever MTV was playing wasn't called that until after grunge came out and years later.

We didn't call it that then...hell alot of it we didn't call metal. It was just rock and it lokked good.

Fun party music/ hair metal or whatever had serious music as well and grunge had their share of a party going on and I'm sure they liked girls as well and had a few tunes.

At the end of the day though we have to remember that MTV, for it's time, ruined all kinds of genres. They really did.

Today we see that metal is still alive and kicking as well as grunge, folk, symphonic, party music...all of it.

None of it went anywhere. It was only dictated as popular music by some crappy cable channel, while making fans believe the hype and pit them against one another.

:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Right on. But you know the grunge movement was like 6 years as opposed to hair metal's 10-12-13 years....but these tags irk me more than anything.

Hair Metal...I mean whatever MTV was playing wasn't called that until after grunge came out and years later.

We didn't call it that then...hell alot of it we didn't call metal. It was just rock and it looked good.

Fun party music/ hair metal or whatever had serious music as well and grunge had their share of a party going on and I'm sure they liked sex. I'm sure they had a few tunes.

At the end of the day though we have to remember that MTV, for it's time, ruined all kinds of genres. They really did.

Today we see that metal is still alive and kicking as well as grunge, folk, symphonic, party music...all of it.

None of it went away. It's just dictated as popular music by some crappy cable channel and making fans believe the hype and pit them against one another.

:grinthumb

I'd say the 6 year tag is debatable. Honestly it seemed to peak it's head around the early nineties and stayed strong until possibly Creed (Yes, I think they were very Grunge) was the last to have any strength with it which up was up to early 2,000's. Anyway, I believe MTV followed surges in music but it had to have the kickstart for them to grab onto. Fans grabbed onto Nirvana and MTV ran with it but the listeners have to give them a reason to push it. The people wanted a change in mood and content and the wave was born. Afterward Boy bands became huge for the next wave. Every generation has it's own subconscious rebellion. :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I was young enough to be influenced but it. I was in my 20's still when grunge came out and NOT in my late 20's either.

We were'nt looking for change. It just happened. Nirvana had a hit record, MTV rolled with it and so did the viewers.

Hey I listened to the Scorpions in the 70's. I love them with Uli Roth...I love them in '79 with Lovedrive. Three big hits on it...Holiday, Lovedrive and Loving You Sunday Morning.

However MTV decided to play Rock You Like A Hurricane by a band who was already 10 years old or whatever, and who were ALREADY famous.

But after this we would see the older people diggin' Scorps and 12 year old kids with T-shirts. My friends and I would giggle and point and be all..."Pffftt...that kid doesn't know the Scorps"

Flash forward...I've talked to people who didn't know about the last 2 Scorps albums. It's all," I thought they broke up after Crazy World". Funny enough as this was really the last album MTV was overly playing.:grinthumb

To me at the time grunge was just a new kind of 70's dirty rock deal...nothing more. Some of it was good...but like too much hair metal...when it became overly saturated and silly, I became nauseuous.

So did Cobain as well...very early on.

Also the 6 years I'm referring to were the years MTV kept pushing out bands and being attentive...REALLY attentive to that sound. Creed is a band that's just in the mix now with everything IMO...it's not a metal or grunge run society anymore thank god!

It's more variety today (worldwide) and back to choices. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, but I guess the thing is this was actually a BETTER period of MTV when they did play videos as their main programming and I don't think they saw dollar signs in Nirvana until fans decided to like them. I mean at the time I think "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was just one of many videos they were throwing in rotation and the fans spoke. I actually like it because I don't think it was a planned move for once. The thing is MP that I'll think we'll disagree on is that yes, like everything else it was saturated but I don't think the bands blended together as much as the critics of that era say. I think there's a distinct difference between the sound of Nirvana to Pearl Jam to Live to Bush to The Smashing Pumpkins and it would boggle me if anyone couldn't tell they were different bands. Maybe they had one or two clonish bands like Stone Temple Pilots or later Creed that resembled Vedder but I think to make the generic comparisons like that you'd be able to ask "What's the difference between Motley Crue To Poison to Skid Row to Winger to Firehouse. I know the difference but I also know traits you could melt into the same pot.

I enjoy the variety today but I honestly preferred having videos 24/7 on my T.V. regardless of trends. With 24/7 music there's bound to be variety. Now there's variety but you have to stay on top of it to catch everything. I kind of miss having things pushed my way. At least more used to be pushed my way. Now it's like ten top artist and everything else is under the radar. back when MTV saturated us with a "movement" at least they were all different bands. Now we don't even have that.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

24/7 with shows seperated by genre the way it was.

I see your points and I'm right with ya...I don't see the Pumpkins as Grunge however. They were closer to Enuff Z'Nuff for me, being both bands are from Chicago as well as the whole pshychedelic/ trippy thing goes.

I think my point is nothing ever "dies" and nothing in music kills another form of music. Where there is a fan base there is music happening.

But it's in my humble opinion that MTV did know what they were doing with shoving stuff down people's throats. They did it with hair metal..and trust me...even people that liked it didn't want that much..we wanted more variety.

The big hair thing was already happening in the 80's and early 90's in other forms of music as well..and some of the metal side jumped on this. Metal didn't invent it or come up with it.

I mean there was metal, and then there was the stuff MTV played 24/7. There were back then, as there are artists today, that sell/sold millions of albums and set their own concert attendance records without the support of any type of media.

That's all kinds of music as well.

Having said that...did I like some Pearl Jam? You bet. Did I think they were grunge? If you asked me that back then, I would have said, "What? Oh..yeah...yah..yeah...they call it grunge in the papers"

When they first came out I saw 5 guys with long hair,lookin' good, soundin' good, and very early 90's. (down to the tight jeans with the ripped knees) :grinthumb

tumblr_ljm506jyEE1qaqp1zo1_500.jpg

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Going to bump this - getting tickets to see a favourite all time band tends to do that, as happened today, and for me they are Top 5.

Plenty been said already in this thread by a few fans of the PJ's. This afternoon I again watched 'Pearl Jam Twenty' the very fine documentary charting the band's entire history. You can actually watch the whole documentary on youtube if you have 2 hours to spare, it's quite a film for fans and non-fans alike, and gives a superb insight, with some pretty jaw dropping live footage (Eddie Vedder's regular habit of climbing up into the stage lighting rig at gigs, and then swan diving 30 feet into the crowd has to be seen to be believed, almost killed himself a few times we are told!) and hopefully anyone who isn't a fan will very likely get the PJ bug when they see this band's history, so here it is if anyone is interested....

And here goes with my first CRF Pearl Jam 'mini-gig'...start with a few songs from the first PJ album, 'Ten'...

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online