1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pearl Jam (Official Thread)

Discussion in '90's Music' started by bethrocksguitar, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Gabble Ratchet

Gabble Ratchet Senior Member

Re: Pearl Jam

And on top of everything, their latest album is one of their finest! :D

2. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim Senior Member

Great point. I completely dismissed this record as trend chasing when it came out, but now it's one of my faves.

3. moose_vol

moose_vol Junior Member

I LOVE Pearl Jam!

here is just a sampling of my favorites

4. Cosmic Harmony

Cosmic Harmony Senior Member

For the longest time I kept hearing this one Pearl Jam song only I didn't know what the song was called because they never would say the title before of after it played. What I did know though was that it was definitely Pearl Jam because Eddie Vedder is such a recognizable singer. The problem with Eddie's style though is that I couldn't understand any of the lyrics so I couldn't just punch them into Google and figure out the name of the song. But yesterday after some extensive detective work of Pearl Jam songs that get radio airplay I finally found out what song it was. It's called "Yellow Ledbetter" and I friggin' love it. :grinthumb

I love the very Hendrix-y sort of Little Wing/The Wind Cries Mary vibe of it.

5. Syd

Syd Senior Member

Yes! I also love that song. I was just listening to it now. jaja. The thing is that it apparently has no lyrics, Vedder sings like a few words and then just makes some weird noises, so I also had a hard time looking for it. Apart from that, Yellow Ledbetter is a B-Side, so I couldn't find it on any of the studio albums.

6. Cosmic Harmony

Cosmic Harmony Senior Member

You can get it on "rearviewmirror" and from what I understand it DOES have lyrics but the band has just never actually officially released them so there is quite a few interpretations of it.

7. knivesout

knivesout (A.K.A. Googly Minotaur)

i hope PJ will play Rearviewmirror in Lima's gig (nov 18)

eddie's "flies" (taked from PJ20 movie)

8. Kay

Kay Banned

I remember when they 1st came on the scene and the whole grunge thing...its so great they were able to transcend that and keep going! Eddie always was a standout to me! I'm pretty sure I've listened to "Ten" more than any grunge,probably even rock album of that era. Everytime I listen I immediately get taken back to that time.

9. Titokinz

Titokinz Earthbound misfit

I REALLY regret not scrounging up some money to go see their concert a couple months ago. :uh: I can only cross my fingers they will be back within a couple years.

10. Soot and Stars

Soot and Stars I AM SOOT!

Just saw this documentary film the other night on Netflix! :grinthumb

Sometimes I forget how much I like these guys even though I buy all their studio albums/EPs and a fair amount of their live material. This film was great and expansive on the bands career right up to the beginnings as Mother Love Bone. It really shows how the band stayed consistent and alive to be a career band and did it with great ethics staying true to their art. I admit that my glory years with them went from Ten to Vitalogy but I still consistently like the followups except perhaps the Binaural-Riot Act period. Anyway, I've always favored Pearl Jam out of many of the bands of that era and movement because unless you count Mother Love Bone and their lead singer dying they've had a consistent career without any true band feuds, diva drama, self destructive drugs and lifestyle choices that would change the main purpose, to create music. Pearl Jam has had stages where I didn't like their direction as much but they were being true to what they wanted to create so I can respect that. Other times like "No Code" their experimentation was really cool and I LOVE "Vitalogy" which may be their weirdest material. Songs like "Black", "Better Man", "Nothingman", 'Daughter", Elderly Woman...", etc. are excellent. Anyway, their aren't too many true legacy career bands around anymore. I'd say Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam are the few true ones at this point. Anyway, I'm on a Pearl jam binge as of the past couple days! :grinthumb