That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
classicrockrevisited

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKED ON RODGERS’S DOORS
Brought To You By VH1’s Dave Basner

Paul Rodgers made a name for himself in Free, Bad Company and on his own, but the rocker almost made a name for himself as the lead singer of The Doors. Paul told UnCut magazine that after Jim Morrison died, Doors members Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger went to the U-K to audition Rodgers but couldn’t find him since he was working in a remote countryside hideaway. In fact, Paul just found out about their search for him recently. As for if he would’ve joined them, Rodgers couldn’t say but didn’t think he would have stating, “I tend to form bands. That’s what I do.”

Death on Credit

Reaction score
That's really interesting. It seems that the Doors really wanted to keep on going with a new singer, as Iggy Pop was auditioned for the role as well.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
I dunno, Paul Rodgers is a great singer and all, but I can't see him standing up and performing "The End" or "Touch Me".

He's too different from Jim Morrison to me, it wouldn't have been a good replacement (of course, we'll never know, he might have nailed it...)

whobeatle

classic rock fan
Reaction score
I had a conversation, with Ken Scott the producer/engineer about a year ago
he was producing a new Doors album. with Kreiger, and Manzarek, I forget if the
drummer was involved, and they had a new singer kind of a Morrison look alike
I had seen a new song live on you tube, they were calling themselves "Doors of the 21st century" or something like that

Anyway so I was interested, I thought why not,, If they can recreate the sound, why not, anyway Ken Scott, got very testy and said, some horrible argument ensued in the studio, and that one of the Doors, (he wouldnt say which one) Krieger or Manzarek..
was the worst (A$$ H^&e) he had ever encountered... and the album was canned..
never came out or anything...

I would have loved to see what they came up with cause the lookalike guy sounded like Morrison, and the song on youtube, sounded like the Doors, I wish I could remember the name..

I have respect for Rodgers as a singer..but I think he ruined the QUeen comeback album I loved some of the songs Roger Taylor wrote,, but I hated Paul Rodgers singing it, he was about as far away from sounding like Freddie Mercury as you could get

FireandWater

Family Man
Reaction score
I love Rodgers and everything he sings is awesome. I just don't think he would fit with that band. He didn't fit in with Queen at all. I mean he sang the songs great but it just isn't the same as Freddie. In fact I like Paul's voice more than both Freddie and Jim but they are all three different.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
According to Glenn Hughes - Paul Rodgers was almost the lead singer of Deep Purple after Ian Gillian...

Well, that's what he said on VH1's ''That Metal Show''

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
According to Glenn Hughes - Paul Rodgers was almost the lead singer of Deep Purple after Ian Gillian...

Well, that's what he said on VH1's ''That Metal Show''

Mhmm, it's true. The liner notes on the 30th Anniversary of Burn documents the whole Lynott/Rodgers thing pretty well.

HR: Any truth to the story that you were asked to be the lead singer of Deep Purple after Ian Gillan left?

PR: Yes. Free had played with Deep Purple in Australia and it was our very last show. I got along really well with [Purple] keyboardist Jon Lord and we exchanged numbers. Later, I got a call to [join], but I was forming Bad Company at the time, so it wasn’t possible.

The Highway Star — Paul Rodgers confirms Purple story

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online