Paul Revere & the Raiders

Psychedelic Syd

Centurion of Psychedelia
Reaction score
This band doesn't get the attention they deserve for the "heaviness" of their sound in some of their songs... They were proto hard rock in many ways...

-

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Which songs would you say were representative of the "heaviness" of their sound? I only know of their hits and always thought they were rather poppy. Not that that's bad. Just that they never did anything for me.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Hey Music Wench, did you ever hear "Good Thing". In spring of '67, that was about the hardest rock on radio. It was absolute chaos compared to just about anything else prior to "I Can See For Miles" by the Who.

Zombeels

Reaction score
My favourite period of the Raiders was the late 60's. Albums like Alias Pink Puzz, Hard N' Heavy With Marshmallow, and Collage. This is where their heaviest music lies and and there are some very underrated tracks in this period. Please check out these tracks:
Time After Time
Ride On My Shoulder
Trishalana
Let Me!
Thank You
I Don't Know
Here Comes The Pain
Just Seventeen
The Boys In The Band
Tighter
Wednesday's Child
Powder Blue Mercedes Queen

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. And I do remember Good Thing - vaguely, I was like 7 going on 8 at the time. Gotta check these out. Might see this band in a whole different light.

Psychedelic Syd

Centurion of Psychedelia
Reaction score
As far as their heavier stuff I would recommend "Louie Go Home", or "Hungry" (which was a big hit)... That should give you a taste...

Oh, another song that was a big hit but was pretty heavy for its time was "Just Like Me"...

-

Last edited:

aerozep

Reaction score
Whether they were lyp singing on the Clay Cole,Lloyd Thaxton or on Where the Action Is shows,which is how most of tv was back then,this was a great prelude to heavy type band.
Their first album(remember lps)was a live one to be followed up with a nice string of hits with such album tracks as "Baby Please Don't Go" and "I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone","I'm Crying","Catch The Wind",and "Satisfaction".
For those who were not around yet or just a little too young to remember,their good songs were...
Good Thing
Hungry
Kicks
Just Like You
Louie Louie
Steppin' Out
and later..Indian Reservation(Cherokee People)
Also check out the album or cd The Spirit of '67,it's got some great songs like.."Louise""Undecided Man""The Great Airplane Strike"(which was happening at the time of this song's release)and my fav on this album "1001 Arabian Nights"
Midnight Ride their third album is a good one also.
It's a shame they can't get along and perform together these days,it would be great to hear and see them do those old great warhorses with today's technology...what a waste.
I hope you can enjoy these classics like I have all these years.
PEACE
Aerozep :****:

Radagast

Reaction score
long ago

When Paul Revere and the Raiders appeared on TV or one of their songs played on the radio, I did not change stations or switch it off. They had "pop" appeal for the young teen audience. I'd say "The Monkeys" owe them a debt of thanks!
I don't know what band members did after their time in the sun, but I hope they fared well for themselves.

I'd like to see the tri-corner hat make a comeback. :pirate:

rtbuck

Reaction score
When I was a little kid in the 1960's I was heavy into the Revolutionary War and the early American History so I used to love when I would see Paul Revere & the Raiders on shows like American Bandstand. I was probably 5 years old but I loved looking at paintings from American History in encyclopedias so seeing the costumes of the Raiders was really great.

Anyway sadly...Paul Revere just passed away earlier this October...there were so many members of the Raider but singer Mark Lindsay who sang with the Raiders from 1958-1975 did have a hit solo single in 1969 with the AM Radio Pop single "Arizona"

I seen Paul Revere & the Raiders in Las Vegas around 1982 opening for comedian David Brenner and they were an excellent show band. Naturally, they played all of their hits (Kicks, Indian Reservation, Steppin' Out, Steppin' Stone, Good Thing, Hungry...etc) but they did an awesome cover of We're an American Band which as it broke into the guitar solo the guitarist ripped into the Star Spangled Banner. It was a great show

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Staff online

Members online