• Ozzy Osbourne

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Ronnie James Dio

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Ozzy is credited for almost all his solo writing....especially the BEST albums with Randy Rhoades.

Dio did very little song writing until his solo albums....

Don't misunderstand me. I love both Dio and Ozzy. Dio had a beautiful voice with incredible vocal range. However, I listen to Ozzy, whether it be Black Sabbath or solo, more often than Dio. I prefer Dio in his Rainbow years.

That is completely incorrect. Ozzy was credited for things he didn't write.
It happens all the time where someone with a big name gets credit for the writing of a supporting "minor" hired band member or even an outsider writer ( Geoff Nichols for insistance in Black Sabbath was not credited for a few riffs that were credited to Tony instead ) who is not credited on the album. Bob Daisly actually did most the song writing that Ozzy is credited for on the solo albums he plays. Others later took up that same uuncredited role .
Dio wrote all the lyrics and melody lines in Black Sabbath and Rainbow when he was members of those bands. And that is not even counting earlier bands like Elf etc.

Singing scat is not writing anything. Coming up with ideas at times Is more atone to a bit inspiration for a lyric ...that Geezer then wrote. The things Ozzy worked on were mostly his vocal melodies I.e. the manor in which he was going to deliver the vocals .

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That is completely incorrect. Ozzy was credited for things he didn't write.
It happens all the time where someone with a big name gets credit for the writing of a supporting "minor" hired band member or even an outsider writer ( Geoff Nichols for insistance in Black Sabbath was not credited for a few riffs that were credited to Tony instead ) who is not credited on the album. Bob Daisly actually did most the song writing that Ozzy is credited for.

Dio wrote all the lyrics and melody lines in Black Sabbath and Rainbow when he was members of those bands. And that is not even counting earlier bands like Elf etc.

Singing scat is not writing anything. Coming up with ideas at times Is more atone to a bit inspiration for a lyric ...that Geezer then wrote. The things Ozzy worked on were mostly his vocal melodies I.e. the manor in which he was going to deliver the vocals .

Usually, those smaller artists take the bigger name to court to get credit. What is on the albums is what I go by. I am not in the habit of assuming who did what.

Ozzy definitely has a gift for some sweeeeeeeet melodies :D

Vader

Reaction score
Usually, those smaller artists take the bigger name to court to get credit. What is on the albums is what I go by. I am not in the habit of assuming who did what.

Ozzy definitely has a gift for some sweeeeeeeet melodies :D

Im not ASSUMING anything Daisly and Lee Kerslate have had a suit against Ozzy and Sharon for years as have others. Reading an album cover only tells you what management wants you to believe. Many bands like The Byrds for insistance were credited for playing on their albums when in fact the entire album was recorded by session musicians.

Also, at times hired musicians are in an agreement with their employer that they will be paid for whatever writing they do upfront ( In other words before the album Is released ).and it is understood that due to image considerations they may or may not be credited. Sometimes this Is agreed upon by all parties ( Ie Geoff Nichols etc. ).at other times the" hired gun" is just cut out of the credits.

Welcome to the cut throat music industry.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
@Vader

The music industry is definitely cut throat. I'm not disputing that. ;)

I once read a piece on Daisley's website where he talked about how Ozzy would humm something and give it a title and they would put together riffs & lyrics around that humming & title. Then when it came time to record, Ozzy would sing whatever lyric he wanted, like a live lyric writer.

What can not be denied is Ozzy's vocal melody. No songwriter can jot down a vocal melody. That's an Ozzy thing. This was a HUGE contribution. It's the thing most of us hear in a song besides the riff.

BTW, Daisley & Kerslake's lawsuit (s) were dismissed. They both received royalties all along (36years) whether they got credit or not.

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
In most cases the entire band contributes to the song, even if they don't get writing credit. In other words, the guitarist writes the guitar parts, the drummer writes the drum parts, the bassist writes the bass lines, the vocalists writes the vocal melodies, sometimes even the manager and or producer contributes something. Seldom does one individual write every minute detail of a song. There probably are exceptions though. But nearly all songs are attributed to one or two writers.

Vader

Reaction score
The uninformed are like the energizer bunny.

ALL vocalist do that...unless someone else does it for them. It's definitely not rare.

In the beginning you said Ozzy writes a lot of great lyrics... he very very rarely wrote any lyrics at all.
You also said RJD didn't write much of anything until his solo career ...both are WAY WAY WAY ...off the mark.

I'm out.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
@Vader
gee whiz, some people are testy!

Dio never had sole credit for songwriting. It was always a band effort, whether it was Elf, Rainbow, Or Black Sabbath.

I clearly stated Ozzy seldom wrote anything....he hummed what he wanted. (to the uninformed...lol....that is singing scat). The others wrote their parts from that humming. Daisley even said Ozzy would sing whatever he wanted whether there were written lyrics or not. Ozzy was gifted. He always knew in his mind what he wanted a song to sound like, and he improvised as he recorded. That my friend, is writIng lyrics! Another gift Ozzy has always had was choosing the best musicians to compliment his style.

If you think I am uninformed and way off the mark, then it's safe to assume we BOTH are uninformed.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online