Overrated Albums/Bands

Berserker

Reaction score
I love trivia games.

I think Van Halen and Aerosmith are very over rated.

There was one of those shows, letterman or leno, and van halen was on there and said he was the fastest guitar player in the world and played a riff. Stevie Ray Vaughan called in. He said to turn Van Halens back to the camera and play something and SRV played it back faster, note for note, without seeing it just from listening to it over the phone.

Never had much respect for Van Halen after that, haha. Sorry, I know a lot of people like them, but it's cock rock to me.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Yeah, they did a lot to usher in the idiotic boring rhythm, crappy lyric, solo - rinse and repeat decline that was the 80s. Bands with only one really good musician in them always baffled me. I mean, if you are a good musician you tend to want to work with people of a similar caliber.

Rant off.

That said, they do have some really cool songs but I would say they are highly overrated.

rockyraccoon

Reaction score
Thanks, The Beatles are my favorite band so naturally i would know a lot about each of their solo careers. However, since George Harrison is my favorite Beatle, i know a lot more about his career, the only reason i knew that fact was because my brother is a bigger Paul fan and told me that story like a year ago

rockyraccoon

Reaction score
Not me Band on the Run, Venus and Mars, Ram and Red Rose Speedway are my picks of his solo albums.
Understandably, i do love all of those albums (i'm glad that i'm not the only Red Rose fan) but while the press bashed RAM and McCartney, RAM tends to be a fan-favorite. I used to hate McCartney because of how soft if was, but now i love it almost as much as RAM

MottTheWot

Reaction score
First of all Never Mind The Bollocks is a great rock n' roll record shamefully underrated due to the image of the band, it was a musical revelation at the time and along with the first albums from the Ramones, Clash and Stranglers it deserves a lot more accolades than it receives.
Music was turned on it's ear in 1976/77 and the debuts from these bands made it so.
As for overrated? That's a hard one, every band has a peak period where they make their masterpiece and survive on that legacy forever more, the best example of that i can think of is Aerosmith who have lived on the glory of Toys In The Attic and Rocks for the past 35 years! Led Zeppelin did everything possible from 1969-1975 culminating with Physical Graffiti, but it was down hill all the way after that! The best Black Sabbath work is the first 5 albums, Deep Purple did everything in a short 4 year period with Ian Gillan in the early 70's. I wouldn't over rate any of those bands, they all deserve their rightful place at the top of the rock n' roll tree. I could never understand the appeal of the Grateful Dead or Rush though. More recently Nirvana and Metallica come to mind.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray