Omitted Songs

Rocker440

Reaction score
Songs that were omitted due to "time limitations" when a live album was originally released on CD.

Jethro Tull - Bursting Out (Quatrain, Conundrum, Sweet Dream)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From The Road (Travelin' Man, T For Texas)

Molly Hatchet - Double Trouble / Live (Walk With You, Walk On The Side Of The Angels)

Scorpions - World Wide Live (Can't Get Enough, Six String Sting, Another Piece Of Meat)

Most of these "omitted" songs were included when these CD's were remastered and reissued, I believe. (with the possible exception of Molly Hatchet)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You are right, the limitation of space definitely resulted in some incomplete albums that we all bought on vinyl, then looked at the CD and went..."What the Hell!".

Fortunately many of the newer remasters done in the 90's and 2000's have added numerous tracks to old classic albums, so in Jethro Tull's case you buy the original studio CD, and they include some live tracks as bonuses. I'm going to check my copy of Bursting Out later to see if it has those or not,,,been a long time since I played it...:think:

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Rush - Exit Stage Left (A Passage To Bangkok). It was later included on the upgraded remaster though.

Reaction score
Tom Petty - keeping Me Alive
it was put on the 1995 big friggin' compilation Playback... disc 5 I believe

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Songs that were omitted due to "time limitations" when a live album was originally released on CD.

Jethro Tull - Bursting Out (Quatrain, Conundrum, Sweet Dream)

Just finished playing my 2 CD set of Bursting Out and all three of the songs you posted are on it, I must have the European edition.

And thanks for reminding me about that album, I thoroughly enjoyed playing it for the first time in a while today.:mn:

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Mountain Jam
One Way Out
Trouble No More

all would have been on the Allman's At Fillmore East had there been enough time but they just released them on Eat a Peach a year later

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
You are right, the limitation of space definitely resulted in some incomplete albums that we all bought on vinyl, then looked at the CD and went..."What the Hell!".
Not only that, but some cds are even being re-issued now as a complete concert - including a re-sequencing of songs in addition to including originally recorded songs that were even omitted from the original cd - as is the case with the Deluxe Version of Frampton Comes Alive.

FramptonComesAlive.jpg

I'm still kinda ticked that "Travelin' Man" was dropped from Skynyrd's live cd in favor of, imo, weaker tunes. :mad:

Supposedly there was always a companion live album to Lou Reed's 1975 Rock & Roll Animal. The talk now is that the two albums will finally be released as one complete album.

U2's epic 1983 Under A Blood Red Sky concert at Red Rocks has also been released as a now-complete concert with a re-sequencing of songs, as well as the inclusion of several songs originally left off the concert video originally released in 1988. For comparison, the original concert cd was only an eight song EP.

Great topic.

Last edited:

Rocker440

Reaction score

Fortunately many of the newer remasters done in the 90's and 2000's have added numerous tracks to old classic albums, so in Jethro Tull's case you buy the original studio CD, and they include some live tracks as bonuses. I'm going to check my copy of Bursting Out later to see if it has those or not,,,been a long time since I played it...:think:

I've often wondered a few things about this, LG. One thought that I've had is, is there really not enough time/space available on a single CD disc for all of the songs or, and this is a mostly crazier (but maybe not :huh:) notion. I can't help but wonder if the record companies either couldn't include the 'omitted' songs, and/or held them back for the remastered edition? It would be another way to try to make additional sales of releases that are a number of years old. There are quite a few people (myself included) that will buy the remastered edition especially when it includes 'omitted' songs, extra bonus tracks or unreleased material that wasn't made available for the original issues. :wtf:

flipflop Re: Omitted Songs

Rush - Exit Stage Left (A Passage To Bangkok). It was later included on the upgraded remaster though.

Interestingly I just noticed that 'A Passage To Bangkok' is included on the cassette tape edition of Exit Stage Left, there are no time limitations on cassettes, but there is for CD's? :huh:

Lord Grendel Re: Omitted Songs
Just finished playing my 2 CD set of Bursting Out and all three of the songs you posted are on it, I must have the European edition.

And thanks for reminding me about that album, I thoroughly enjoyed playing it for the first time in a while today.

That's a good thing! Some people may not realize that a few songs have been omitted on the original CD's that were on albums, more so with many of them remastered and reissued with the 'missing' tracks. :heheh:

Tattoo'd Lady Re: Omitted Songs

Mountain Jam
One Way Out
Trouble No More

all would have been on the Allman's At Fillmore East had there been enough time but they just released them on Eat a Peach a year later

And that is a shame, too, imo. Those are all excellent Allman Brothers songs. I remember that Mountain Jam is one extremely long song (with an average running time of about 20 minutes) which would surely take up quite a lot of time, too. If I remember somewhat correctly on the 2 album set Mountain Jam was one whole side of an album.

Dave78 Re: Omitted Songs

Not only that, but some cds are even being re-issued now as a complete concert - including a re-sequencing of songs in addition to including originally recorded songs that were even omitted from the original cd - as is the case with the Deluxe Version of Frampton Comes Alive.

Wow, I was unaware of that, Dave! I do wonder if the songs on these newest editions are sequenced in the same order as they were played at the shows when they were recorded?

Here are a couple more 'omitted' songs.

Heart - Greatest Hits / Live (Hit Single, Strange Euphoria, Unchained Melody)

Ten Years After - Recorded Live (Hobbit)

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Wow, I was unaware of that, Dave! I do wonder if the songs on these newest editions are sequenced in the same order as they were played at the shows when they were recorded?
That's my understanding based on the description for some of these reissues.

In addition to Frampton Comes Alive and U2's Live at Red Rocks re-issued concert cds, Chicago's epic Carnegie Hall cd has recently been repackaged to include songs originally recorded at the shows, but left off both vinyl and cd. And again, without the dreaded time constraints to worry about, there is also a new sequencing of the songs to (I assume) match the original set-list.

Trouble is... having listened to these albums for the last 25-35 years or so, I'm so used to them I don't know if I would want to hear any missing tracks.

Rocker440

Reaction score
That's my understanding based on the description for some of these reissues.

In addition to Frampton Comes Alive and U2's Live at Red Rocks re-issued concert cds, Chicago's epic Carnegie Hall cd has recently been repackaged to include songs originally recorded at the shows, but left off both vinyl and cd. And again, without the dreaded time constraints to worry about, there is also a new sequencing of the songs to (I assume) match the original set-list.

Trouble is... having listened to these albums for the last 25-35 years or so, I'm so used to them I don't know if I would want to hear any missing tracks.

That is interesting, Dave! Thanks for the info! :tup:

Perhaps there will be more live concert cd's from other classic bands and their older material, too. If that is the case, I am looking forward to that. It's good to know that some of these releases are being redone and reissued, I would enjoy hearing one that was recorded at one of the many shows that I experienced, as well.

I've gotten quite accustomed to the track order of many of the live cd's, too. I think it would be somewhat difficult to hear different 'missing' songs that weren't included previously. It's also different to listen to them on random or shuffle as it is! ;)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online