Obscure Heavy Psych/Heavy Rock/Proto-Metal

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Re: Proto - Metal

Dakillerwolf...you,Joe and people have filled this excellent thread at an alarming pace full of some real pearler obscure gems:grinthumb of early 70s rock bands.....i Cant keep pace :wa.....im still on page 5
Its holiday weekend....so I will hope to be catching up..checking out some more of these bands
Strangely enough....one of the best so far is the 1st band you mentioned TOAD....Very good...do you know any info?

I agree Lou :grinthumb TOAD is an excellent band, one my favorites and that is why I started with them .

They are from Switzerland , formed in 1970 . original members : Vittorio "Vic" Vergeat - guitar, vocals, piano, Cosimo Lampis - drums, percussion, vocals, Werner Fröhlich - bass, vocals .

The first two are corkers ( as you lot say :D ) Toad, 1971 is a SMOKER
Tomorrow Blue , 1972 is also very ,very good but unfortunately they changed their sound to a more commercial type of hard rock for , Dreams, 1975 . it's still OK , but disappointing .
Those are the three studio albums I own . They were recently re-released on CD in Japan by the Strange Days label ( 2008 to be exact ) . I picked them up then through mail order but I don't have that info anymore ( sorry ) .

They have quite a few more releases but the word is that they go down hill from Dreams on and the only others that are worthy of searching for are ,
B.U.F.O. - Blues United Fighting Organization , early unreleased material that
is reportedly very good stuff ,and their Live album ,Live at St.Joseph, Basel 22.04.1972, a scorcher !
I am currently searching for both .

Glad you are enjoying the thread Lou, I plan to slow way down to let some people catch up here . :cheers2

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

This thread is amazing, I have been introduced to some very good bands that I have never heard of and some of them I have not really listened to much of them. The thread has been written with some real attention to detail and it is clear that the people concerned really like their music.

When LG, SOX and me do the heist I will be purchasing some of these albums.

What a great thread and very interesting, thanks guys.:cheers2

joe

Reaction score

I just wanted to add a couple more of tracks from Dust's two albums as I only posted one song at the beginning of this thread. IMO, one of the premiere proto-metal bands.

M Unable to replace dead videos.

joe

Reaction score

This thread is amazing, I have been introduced to some very good bands that I have never heard of and some of them I have not really listened to much of them. The thread has been written with some real attention to detail and it is clear that the people concerned really like their music.

When LG, SOX and me do the heist I will be purchasing some of these albums.

What a great thread and very interesting, thanks guys.:cheers2

Thanx for the acknowledgement. Had a great time listing and introducing these bands to listeners who haven't heard any of these artists. More will follow. Waiting for Wolf to get back in the game. I also needed a break.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Have purchased some of the bands cd's now, brought back many memories of some of the bands as I have some of the albums already.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

This UK band has only one album credited to them recorded in 1973 it bares their moniker .The first side is a rocking little proto -gem sometimes almost epic-doom in style but also venturing into a Zeppelin style heavy blues reminiscent of "Since I been Loving You " on the song 24 hours and very good it is to these ears .The other side is a poorly recorded live recording of a completely different band called Anaconda .An Acid Jazz - Prog band with a crappy vocalist at that with only one thing in common with the first band and that is the drummer . Under the influence of acid it might sound a bit better but I wont waste your time with any of that here. So strictly sticking to side one ...

ARGUS

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Have purchased some of the bands cd's now, brought back many memories of some of the bands as I have some of the albums already.

Glad to see you guys enjoying this thread :grinthumb

@ Joe ,I have a lot of bands left to share and some very good ones at that but I want to slow it down as already stated . I have had two official request to ease up the pace as some people are feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to keep up . :D

joe

Reaction score

^^^ Wolf you are the Lt. on this thread. I follow your lead. I will do the same.

joe

Reaction score

The Only Truth by Morly Grey from Ohio released this groovy garagy/heavy psych Lp in 1972. Fantastic lead guitar work. Reissued from the Italian independant label Akarma who has done a great job over the years to bring out some of these rare artists and albums.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Power Trio formed in 1969, Austin Texas ( which by the way is a hellva a fun place to visit .Great music scene ) with a 16 year old Eric Johnson on lead guitar .They released one album in 1970 entitled Perpetuum Mobile and have n awesome compilation released entitled Mariani. 1988 . Both are highly recommend .The guitar playing is highly devolved the fluidity is amazing for someone so young .They sometimes remind me of early Robin Trower while the guitar playing can also recall Tony Iommi at various other times .

MARIANI :

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online