Obscure Heavy Psych/Heavy Rock/Proto-Metal

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Re: Proto - Metal

Nice stuff through out ,Joe . I figured you might be posting Randy soon :grinthumb

Hailing from the fatherland, this powerful gem that goes by the name of "First"
would unfortunately be their last .Released in 1971 it contains some of my favorite music out of all of the "obscure proto metal" releases that I own . Lucifer reminds of Black Sabbath's debut while Trip is a great heavy space rocker al la Pink Floyd complete w/ it's own 1971 rock video
Great and underrated !

DIES IRAE :

joe

Reaction score

Bludgeon power trio Bang, plods and drudges in a monolithic endeavor in a gloomy, oppressive environment. A Budgie/Black Sabbath crossbreed.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

US band who released their one and only album The Gospel According To Zeus in 1970. It is an inspired diatribe of screaming rock histrionics,
weird psychedelic strangeness and some of the most intuitively funky yet
blisteringly heavy progressive music committed to tape during the 70's proto-metaL era and it is also
one on my favorites

BEHOLD THE .....

POWER OF ZEUS :

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^You and Joe have introduced so many bands I am Not familiar with this thread is like a Proto Metal band education for me DKW.

Very well done.:grinthumb

joe

Reaction score

I had a great time contributing to this thread. To continue on for me would be scrapping the bottom of the barrel with some weak material that would be only a dentriment to the "proto-metal" genre.

I must compliment DaKillerWolf on his knowledge and the work that goes into posting these threads. Well done Sir.:grinthumb

I'll end it on the one song that started my journey into heavy psych/hard rock/proto-metal realm 30 years ago.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Your "Obscure" prog thread has also been first class Joe, you have become a veteran in almost record time. Glad to have you sharing your knowledge and opinions with us.:cheers2

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Thanks for the kind words LG. I deeply enjoy the Heavy Psych /Heavy Prog of the era and have made it a point of discovering as many quality bands of the genre as possibly for many years now . Happy to share my finds with anyone that might be interested . :grinthumb

Joe , thanks for your highly valued assistance with this thread up to this point.
I have discovered more then a few bands that I was unaware of and truly enjoy due to your ample knowledge and I'm grateful for your participation .
I'm not done with this thread yet myself , so hopefully you will find some new bands to your liking here in the near future . :cheers2

Last edited:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Early 70's UK band who's first S/T album features a young man named Allan Holdsworth who would later became renowned as a jazz fusion guitarist. After Holdsworth left the group released one last album entitled Living in Fear before disbanding

TEMPEST :

joe

Reaction score

DKW: I have lots of material left, maybe not so much proto-metal, but more acid-psych, hard blues rock and heavy prog. I guess I should let the people decide if what I think is "weak or poor" music. Anyway, I have lots of time on my hands and this keeps me from "renting too much space upstairs":rolleyes:
Besides, I feel somewhat guilty abandoning you on this thread:(

Tempest is a great band. I prefer the second album with Ollie Halsall on guitar. Him and Holdsworth are both great guitarist.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

No need to feel guilt Joe haha but if you want to continue you are more then welcome :grinthumb

Yeah, I have basically decided that this should be an "obscure heavy rock " thread as the term "proto-metal " is not only a bit vague but also a bit stifling .

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusanStone

Members online