Obscure Gems From The "Classic" Prog/Rock Era

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Formed in 1971 in Germany and lead by classically trained keyboard player Jeff Beers this Heavy Progressive Kraut band was made up of multude of nationalities. German organist Jeff Beer; Dutch guitarist Rob Terstall, and two musicians out of the UK: Ray Brown, bassist, and Stuart Fordham, drummer. All of whom were musically education and highly skilled players.
They released their self-titled debut in 1972 before parting ways. Live at the Maxim and Swf Session 1973 were also issued after the band had broken up, both in 2007.
I have ODIN on vinyl and Cd plus Swf Session 1973 on Cd and am on the look out for a reasonable priced Live at the Maxim, which consists of live versions of 4 Zappa songs along with one original and a few other cover songs that are said to be quite adventitiously preformed.

ODIN :

joe

Reaction score
Probably avant-garde would be best to describe Mainstream from Quiet Sun led by Roxy Music's guitarist Phil Manzanera. Released in 1975, same time as Manzanera's solo Lp Diamond Head was issued, the musically influences can be attributed to jazz-rock fusion, the sounds of the Canterbury scene and Roxy Music. Bassist Bill MacCormick had played with Matching Mole and drummer Charles Hayward had a brief stint with Gong. Produced by Brian Eno.

Some of the material was used on Manzanera's other project, 801 which released a live album in 1976, IMO one the best live Lp's released in the 70's.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I remember reading an ancient Rolling Stone interview with Phil Manzanera after he released his first solo record, in the article he said he doesn't like his guitar to sound like a "Guitar", I know at first I was a little confused but after thinking about it his style is very much different from anyone else, and so subtle as well.

I like Patrick Moraz too, but correct me if I'm wrong he only played on "Relayer" before he left Yes...could be mistaken it has been a long time since I checked the liner notes.

joe

Reaction score
^^^LG, Patrick Moraz did leave after Relayer as Rick Wakeman did come back in the fold. What I don't know is did Moraz leave on his own; was it mutual agreement with all the members that he leave due to whatever; or was it that Rick Wakeman wanted to come back; or a combination(s) of the three. I'll find out. BTW, Moraz keyboards on the Refugee Lp is one of the best I've heard.

joe

Reaction score
LG, I just finished reading an interview with Patrick Moraz and he states he was asked to leave Yes. He didn't say why he was asked to leave. He did tour with Yes after Relayer and did contribute quite a bit to Going for the One. He also stated that he didn't get paid after the Yes tour, which at that time was the biggest to date. He was basically left out in the cold with his wife and new born baby and very little money. Of course that's his side of the story. It would be interesting to hear the Yes side.

Vangelis was asked first to replace Rick Wakeman but due to contractual agreements it couldn't be worked out.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is reprehensible if it's true, that they never paid him for touring...I just don't see that happening.:nw:

Vangelis would have been an interesting fit, I do like his music and he has done some top notch soundtracks over the years.

joe

Reaction score
Diabolus from the UK recorded only one Lp in 1972. There seems to be some debate on the release of the album. German label Bellaphon issued the Lp in 1972 though the band didn't know until the mid 90's and took legal action and was then released on the Sunrise label. I have a CD from the great Akarma label re-issued in 2005. Heavy prog/jazz-fusion would be best to describe them with infuences of Jethro Tull and Camel. Expansive musical instrumentation including flute and sax.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Progressive /Psychedelic / Jazz Fusion band that formed in Brooklyn, NY,in 1967, but only achieved the success that they were after when they relocated to the German/ Dutch border to live in a commune were they became a big concert draw within the same scene as the Kraut rockers of the 70's. They released three albums 1970's Just a Poke, Darkness to Light- 1973 and Live which was issued in 1974. The debut is a mix of flute lead jazz fusion that switches tempos and drops in and out of a heavy guitar based prog rock that also showcases some impressive bass work ( One of the things that draws me to prog ). Their sophomore effort is quite different. Heavily influenced by their visit to India Darkness to Light contains an Indian folk vibe though out. They continue to have a large underground following to this day.

SWEET SMOKE :

joe

Reaction score
Krautrockers NEU is an experimental electronica fusion that is hypnotic and mesmerizing formed by the duo of the multi-instrumentalist Michael Rother and Klaus Dinger who split from Kraftwerk early in the inception of the band. Similar in sound to that of Can in that the sounds are more down to earth as in contrast to Tangerine Dream that leave you floating in space. Three excellent albums released from 72-75.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online