New Jimi Hendrix Film

Buster

Reaction score
What do the family want?

Total control of his image and music. If this led to better quality productions I could see it but it has led to a total restriction of everything, which comes at the expense of the public.

$ $ $

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
If the family is being selfish and refusing to cooperate, then what a shame. Too often do the families of these musicians become this way. I remember reading about Pamela Courson's family disputing what they "deserved" from Jim Morrison's estate because their relationship qualified as a common law marriage. Greed, I tell you. It's just ugly.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
From what I understand, the Hendrix estate will not allow any movie that shows or implies that Jimi Hendrix used drugs at any point.

Considering that we're talking about a man who popped LSD like candy (and that such usage had a pretty large impact on the way he played guitar), this is absolutely absurd.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if we never get a Jimi Hendrix film. I get everything I need to know about the man from the music.

Buster

Reaction score
I don't think the Hendrix company has the power to dictate how Jimi is shown on that basis.

I don't know who is making that decision? That sounds like Jimi and his image have now been taken over by lawyers running high-powered companies. Janie is probably too dumb/greedy to realize it. That Jimi Hendrix's image and meaning would be run by Janie Hendrix is a complete nightmare and desecration of Jimi and what he stood for.

This is practically like letting Jimi be run directly from the CIA COINTELPRO offices that murdered him. Frankly, it really isn't saying anything to wimpily back-off and let it happen. Jimi should never be packaged with the same plastic consideration as McDonald's hamburgers or Republican Party image makers, or War Of The Worlds spacecraft hovering over America and zapping anything that doesn't look right.

Janie Hendrix has the most power to push the evidence behind Jimi's murder. Unfortunately, I think she is under the influence of those legal weasels whispering in her ear and telling her it isn't good for business.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
The Seattle Film Festival has selected “Jimi: All Is by My Side,” starring Andre Benjamin, as its opening-night film to screen May 15.

John Ridley, who directed the Jimi Hendrix biopic from his own script, is scheduled to attend. Hendrix was a Seattle native.

“All Is by My Side” premiered at the Toronto Film Festival, where Open Road and XLrator Media acquired U.S. rights. The companies are planning a release this summer.

The project was created by Ridley after he discovered the Hendrix song “Sending My Love to Linda,” about fashion model Linda Keith, who heard Hendrix perform in London in 1966 and played a key role in encouraging his career.

Benjamin learned to play the guitar like Hendrix — left handed with a right-hand guitar strung upside down — to boost the authenticity of the film, which is set in 1966 London but shot in Dublin last year.

Carl Spence, artistic director of the Seattle festival, said, “I can’t think of a more fitting film to open our 40th — as SIFF looks back on where we’ve come from and forward to where we’re going, we’re inviting everyone to come together to see a film that traces the origins of a Seattle music legend.”

Ridley won the adapted screenplay Oscar for “12 Years a Slave” in March.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/j...min-opening-seattle-film-festival-1201160152/

BnthjjACYAAe4_4_zps5f634068.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online