New Jimi Hendrix Film

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I noticed this on the Yahoo trending list among the clearing debt, new car deals, tinnitus, etc:

"Andre 3000 Lands Jimi Hendrix Role In Biopic

Andre 3000 will be undertaking perhaps the biggest movie role of his life after it was confirmed that he'll be playing guitar legend Jimi Hendrix in a biopic film of the rock n' roll pioneer. The film 'All Is By My Side' will document the Hendrix's time in England between 1966 and 1967 when he was still a relative unknown, playing working men's clubs in Newcastle and other such places having come across from an America that initially didn't take to him.

The Irish Film and Television Network reports that the feature film will be written and directed by John Ridley, best known for 'Three Kings' and 'U Turn.' Much of the filming will be shot in Ireland meanwhile, with rumoured spots including the area of Bray and several places within it.

Neither Hendrix nor 3000 need any introduction of course; the former grew upon his burgeoning reputation in the UK to become one of the most famous guitarists of all time, playing a free-form style of rock guitar almost unknown by anyone at that time. Headlining the likes of the Monterrey Pop Festival, Woodstock and the Isle of Wight, Hendrix was cut down in his prime aged 27 in 1970. 3000, meanwhile, is one half of seminal rap duo Outkast, who sold millions through the 90s and early noughties. Going on hiatus from partner Big Boi, 3000 has regularly stated his ambitions for the silver screen, and now looks truly set to fulfill them."

Americans could have a problem with this as the lovely Cheryl Cole was sacked, from some TV talent show, because they could not understand her Geordie accent. Chas Chandler was a Geordie and of major importance to the Jimi story, although they don't say who is playing him (Eminem?).

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I suppose the proof will be in the pudding. Hopefully it can't be worse than Hendrix (2000).

Death on Credit

Reaction score
This project has been in gestation (with Andre 3000 billed for the lead) since about 2004.

I'm surprised that it's still considered in production.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Oh wow. I had never thought of it before but Andre 3000 does bear a resemblance to Hendrix.

I'm still excited to see what Sacha Baron Cohen will do with Freddie Mercury.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
This project has been in gestation (with Andre 3000 billed for the lead) since about 2004.

I'm surprised that it's still considered in production.

Yeah, I have a friend who works in the Houston media scene, and they are really pushing this project. It concerns me that this has been on the back burner for so long. That's not usually a good sign.

Buster

Reaction score
Janie Hendrix shows, once again, that she seems to consider her role in the Hendrix universe to be the denial of use of Hendrix music to people trying to continue the presentation of this fantastic musical figure to the public. Surprise surprise, the Janie Hendrix death star once again descends to issue a draconian order denying yet another ambitious project her consent and therefore continuing to suck each and any project into the monopolizing scouring vacuum of company propriety. If COINTELPRO were seeking to diminish Jimi Hendrix's image to the world deliberately they couldn't do a better job than Janie has with her Dickensian stricture. Meanwhile, while this corporate battle, that more represents the business powers Jimi eschewed than anything else, continues to dominate Jimi and his image even more so than it did under Michael Jeffery, the public will never be able to see the real movie that needs to be approved by a family company that works in tune with Jimi's mission and message. That movie would be one that shows how this very ugly and greedy process the company has come to embody was the exact force and reason behind Jimi's murder. Unfortunatley, for those who are really in tune with Jimi and his meaning, this also seems to be lacking acknowledgement and approval from the company throne and is what suffers the most from all this. This is travesty and must be corrected by any body that calls itself a Hendrix Family interest.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Janie Hendrix is Jimi's sister and she has been VERY controlling concerning the release of anything to do with Hendrix's work.

I won't give my opinion on her antics other to say that she has ruined some opprotunities.

See more at below link pertaining to this paticular biopic that is the subject of this thread....

Jimi Hendrix Biopic May Not Be Happening, Says Janie Hendrix