Music you've outgrown....?

Aero

Reaction score
Outgrown... hmm, first band that comes to mind is "Sonic Youth". I thought they were soooo experimental and alternative back then. Can't even listen to most of their songs anymore because they're just bad.

Yeah, I used to like them a bit back in the day myself and now I can't figure out why. They stink...and whenever I hear someone say how "pioneering" they were, I just cringe.

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
Lots of mid to late 80's metal when studs and spikes gave way to spandex.

Love early 80's stuff by after 1986 or so it just gets hard to listen to.

Beady Eye

Reaction score
Yeah, I used to like them a bit back in the day myself and now I can't figure out why. They stink...and whenever I hear someone say how "pioneering" they were, I just cringe.

When I started playing guitar, every song I played sounded like Sonic Youth. So I figured, they must be great or else I suck. Turned out that I sucked.

More often than not people buy into marketing not the actual music, teenagers are obviously the easiest prey.
There's no single reason why a music video should cost 10 mio. US-dollars (inflation-adjusted), does anyone even remember how Michael and Janet Jackson's "Scream" even sounded???
Bands like Sonic Youth were marketed to be super duper Alternative Indie Rock and if you wanted to be different, you had to get them. Of course nobody else got them because they suck. That made it easier to be part of the elite. :D

Another band I've outgrown is Nirvana. They're still good, but far from godlike. Simple, catchy tunes with partially great lyrics and vocals. Brett Michaels summed grunge up perfectly when he said that he didn't understand why those people aren't just having fun and make out with beautiful chicks. And yeah, why didn't they? Are they stupid???

I'll tell who I didn't outgrow: New Kids on the Block! Hangin' Tough is still in my alpha rotation playlist.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
Most forms of extreme metal. Entombed, Slayer, Bathory, Cannibal Corpse.... stuff like that. It's just totally old hat to me now. I still love great metal like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, but their more extreme musical followers just bore me now.

I agree. I have experienced a sort of renaissance of thrash the last few years but mainly the 80's and early 90's stuff I hadn't heard in years. But the extreme/death/black metal stuff I just can't hear more than a song or two at a time before it bores me too. I'll always love the classic thrash like the SF scene and the Combat/Noise Records releases of the late 80's.

Romulus

Reaction score
I am not sure if I have 'outgrown' any music, I may play a lot less of particular artist, but that does not mean I do not like or lost interest in that particular artist. Since the 70's if anything my musical interests have greatly expanded (eg a lot to classical music), my most modern 'obsession' is Muse (because they are like a progressive melodic rock band). At work I listen to Heart radio (not my choice) and I find most modern music boring often having sound bites of old classic songs to sell their stuff. However on rare occasions I do like one or two modern music eg Elle King sings this song - its very melodic and sounds so retro like it was written in the 60's.

If I was on a dessert Island and was forced to choose complete works of any artist, 20 years ago it would of been Deep Purple now without hesitation it would be the Beethoven. In fact there seems to be a connection as Ritchie Blackmore in one interview (I think its on YouTube) admitted that the riff to 'Smoke on the Water' is actually part of Beethoven 5th Symphony played backwards. (It might be a total wind up by Ritchie - he often did that!):omg:

Beady Eye

Reaction score
Here's an idea: let's shake it up a tad by adding the question "which music have you grown in to?"
Used to hate Kriss Kross, but they are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine now.

deerwan

Play It Loud
Reaction score
I"m too old to have outgrown anything, but I've tried to stay in touch with all
of the Mach Music phases of my listening career. Punk/PostPunk stage I've
backed off the most--but listening to Joy Div/early New Order, X, early
Echo/Bunnymen always gets me going. A friend of mine at the college library
just ordered the Ian Curtis book for the browsing section that I would read.
All of the jazz fusion I still like a great deal, 60's--70's--80's and current.

I tried to stay current and active with the new stuff til' about 10 yrs ago
and disappointed myself with that, the 70's output, most all of it is the core
of my listening pleasure. So much music that I had wanted for 30-40 yrs
I acquired in the last 10 yrs. But I have been able to keep up a little
thanks to this forum.

Too much music, too little time. Good thread Mr Shadow.

Good Listening...

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
I used to like the Replacements, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr and that whole bunch.
I guess I liked it mainly because of the crap that constitutes popular music at that time.
Today I never listen to any of it and don't miss it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online