Mr Big (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Mr. Big

Mr. Big in 2009 doing the song that got me into them the first time.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

I never got into Mr. Big either. Too bad the only song MTV played was that ballad. It didn't do anything for me so I never checked them out.
But I guess it's never too late with iTunes as a reference. :)

The only Mr. Big I know was a mobster from one of the first episodes of "Get Smart", and he turned out to be a midget...gotta luv Mel Brooks...:lmao:

So you'rrrrrrre Mr. Big!

mrbig.jpg

Mel Brooks and Buck Henry (later of SNL fame) were hilarious!

Get Smart deserves a thread of its own. :cheers:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Off topic a little but Get Smart was on one of our Nostalgia channels a few years ago, but like many of the old series I watched when I was a kid, it didn't seem as funny, some episodes were memorable admittedly but I think as we get older our tastes change as well. Same thing with the Beverly Hillbillies, after a few shows I lost interest in them.

However feel free to write a Get Smart thread if you wish KMET, we have a TV/Movie sub-forum just for that purpose.

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
Mr. Big

What a story. I love this band for so many reasons.

Billy Sheehan is among the 4 "Rock Bass Gods" (Chris Squire, Geddy Lee and Stu Hamm being the other three) who, after he and Steve Vai made an INCREDIBLE impression on David Lee Roth's solo albums, teamed up with Shrapnel Records' Mike Varney to form Mr. Big. There's no shortage of stories on evil record labels, but Shrapnel Records is one of those unsung heros of during my favorite generation of American hard rock. Apart from "discovering" Guitar prodigy Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Varney had a relationship dating back to EARLY 1980s with Paul Gilbert of Racer X fame. This wild man was a Randy Rhodes protege through-and-through, and came to be known as one of the fastest right-handed pickers on the scene.

Thanks to Atlantic Records, Mr. Big got what Night Ranger, Quiet Riot and even Survivor got: major league success in Japan. That is a country that appreciates rock and it rubbed off on him. After "the end" of Mr. Big, Gilbert took his solo act to Japan--even living there for a while. Jealous? Me? No, not at all. :flirt

G3, Joe Satriani's touring act of three Rock Guitar Heros over the last decade turned out to be a huge success and eventually, Paul Gilbert joined on and played a show at the Orpheum Theater in downtown Los Angeles, his and my hometown. Seeing his show transformed me as a musician; I started playing differently and better with more focused technique (digging up every last instructional video YouTube had to offer didn't hurt) but more over, he played THIS song and I was teleported back to the age of 10 when I first marveled at this beautiful recording on TV...

After that concert, I made it a point to be able to play every single note of that song on guitar and now I use it to warm up before my own sessions. At the same time, I had been following Mr. Billy Sheehan on Facebook just as he released "Holy Cow," his 2008 solo album with a track featuring Paul Gilbert! It's the third cut and it comes highly recommended. Seriously, I bought this album because of hearing that track on Sheehan's MySpace page.

More and more, I started seeing collaboration between Sheehan and Gilbert in concert and in Tweets from the both of them. Even my Drummer ran into Gilbert on his way to a rehearsal with Sheehan as my drummer was coming back from rehearsing up here in the San Fernando Valley. I started kicking around in my mind, "What If these guys got back together, like in the old days?"

And that's just what they did! As I'm sure you've heard by now, the four original members of Mr. Big went into the recording studio this year and cut an album. Paul described the process as just the way it was in the old days, too. And you know that's good sounding news. From what I've been hearing on Twitter, the solos are INCREDIBLE and the songs are solid and strong. Frontiers Record released a press release and linked on their Facebook page to a YouTube video of the single from the album "What If," due out January, 2011.

I am going to get this one as it joins my collection of 80s Metal Heros in the 2000s (i.e., Kings of Los Angeles, Infestation) and report back with a full review. I am already hearing wonderful things from the Japanese fans of Mr. Big on Twitter as well.

I. Can't. Wait!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Mr. Big Thread

Awesome writeup Dairenn! I'm interested in the new album as well and it really gives cred to this band hearing from an actual musician who's influenced by the band members! :cheers2

rockthenightaway86

Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Mr. Big Thread

I kinda feel Mr Big never got the recognition they deserved. Eric Martin has an amazing voice , Billy Sheehan (sp?) is an amazing bassist , Paul Gilbert rocks the guitar and , Pat Torpey...... well he can play drums really well. Seriously though , these guys really can rock , just watch some of their live stuff on youtube and even if you still dont like the band , hopefully you can respect what they can do.

Also would love to be able to play the opening to Green Tinted Sixties Mind on guitar!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online