Moving, Moving, and Moving.....

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Ok...I got a bit of a gripe.

Seems like there is an awful lot of moving of threads going on here. I know the idea is to keep things organized, but it seems a little excessive, Especially when you post in a thread, and then can't find it again.

One example is the Soundgarden thread. It started in the 90's and then got moved to the 80's. I realize they started in the 80's, but I think the bulk of us would consider them a 90's act, and if the OP posted them in that section, it would seem that's the era they want to discuss.

Obviously, if Metallica appears in the bluegrass section, you would probably want to move it, but I think overall, moving of threads should be scaled back.

My two cents anyway:wa:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
It is up to the mods who think a thread should be moved, all I can say Gearjammer is it's a fluid situation, I wrote a Jethro Tull thread, they formed in 1969, but I posted it in the 70's because that is when they were at their best. We try to keep things organized as much as possible so moving stuff is always going to be part of the deal. I get notices for all the threads I am part of so I never lose track of where they are, I know some people don't want that many notices in their e-mail but for me it helps a lot to keep on top of things.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The forum is pretty organized now. You shouldn't see much moving of threads unless it is obviously posted in the wrong spot.

If I move a thread, I always leave a redirect to the threads new location, and this redirect will remain for 3 days.

If you lose track of a thread, you can always do a tag or title search to find it. I have spent many pain staking hours tagging threads, so things will be easier to find.

Also maintaining a "subscribed threads" helps a great deal. Those are always listed in your userCP, and when a new post appears in your subscribed threads, that thread moves to the top of the list, just like the "new posts".

F

FoxyPage

I figured I would post this here since it has to do with threads....

Why are old threads being locked so people make new ones? I know those threads are old but what is wrong with bumping them and starting the discussion all over again? I know some of the threads have some red x's but I don't see why the newest posts can't just continue on and repost whatever isn't there because they'll be doing that once they make a new thread, anyways. I don't think any of the dicussions from pre-2009 are any less relevant.....Just asking because I've seen a few threads that I knew had already been made before so I just did a quick search and saw they were locked....it didn't make sense to me because it's like someone posting the same thread all over again with almost the exact same info when the previously made thread could have just been continued.

I saw Soot's David Bowie thread and I was almost 100% sure I saw a Bowie thread already so I searched and saw that it had been locked but Soot's comments in the thread just seemed to indicate that Bowie never did have a thread when he did.....that old Bowie thread could have just been bumped and his info could have went in there.

Ehhh, just wondering about it. Kinda seems pointless to lock a thread and make a new one when people are going to post the same info, anyways.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some of the old threads have a lot of images that are now broken links. The person who requests to start a new thread is usually granted that request.

I feel there is no harm in starting a new thread with new images and a repeat of old information. Afterall, a bands biography/history isn't going to change.

Quite a few of the old threads have been rejuvinated with new posts. You have been in the forum universe long enough to know that necroposting is poor etiquette. If the thread hasn't been posted in for a very long time, I recommend a new thread, if for no other reason than to give a new member a chance to give their view and make the thread in their own words.

If you go and read some of the locked threads, you will see that many of those threads were taken completely off-topic with idle banter. When I find these type old threads, I will usually place them in the archive.

The issue here isn't whether a new thread has more relevance than an old thread, the issue is keeping information fresh, image links fresh, and making sure all links in the thread are functional. I have read some really good Threads from 2005 but unfortunately the thread is laced with broken image links, news links that get a 404 error, old video links that don't exist, which make the thread look very unkempt and unprofessional.

I hope this explains why new threads are being made and old necro-threads are being locked :)

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Trust me, Hepcat, if you bump an old thread that is inappropriate, one of the staff will notify you with an alternative suggestion.

Using good judgement is best! If the thread is worthy of a bump, and you have information to rejuvinate the thread, then by all means:

funny_animated_pictures_12.gif

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Good explanation Magic, and at the end of the day all this is only glowing dots on a screen anyway.;)

I have told our many of our new members if they feel creative and want to do a "New Improved" thread on a band they love that we already have in the pen to ask us first and we will most likely approve it. That is also part of rejuvenating a forum. And if some of the old ones are not very well written then I would get around to rewriting a better one myself, it is good for the forum to have the best content possible. And we don't just delete the old ones right away, they will still be in the archives with the tags for anyone that searches for a band etc., so they can still be read, for a while before we do our housekeeping eventually.

Oh and one final thought on this, an absolutely Massive forum I used to frequent has nearly as many threads archived as active. And some of the active ones were laying dormant for well over two years. So I asked about waking them up, they didn't really give me a coherent answer, except it would be up to the mod that saw the thread to decide whether it should be allowed or not, so I asked why don't they do it themselves? You know wake up a few old ones to see if they got any attention, the lead mod told me he couldn't be bothered, just more work for them and to just wake them up myself and see if they stayed open or were parked in the morgue permanently.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
thank you, thank you! I found him totally irresistable. Haven't you heard, guts are the IN thing :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online