Most charismatic lead singer of the 80s

RhyeInTheJar

Reaction score
Freddie Mercury, although Queen were better on the 1970s and I think sometimes people overrate him too much. I've been a member of The Queen Fan Club in the past so you could say that I'm certainly a fan. But some people seem to think that Queen were popular mainly due to Freddie's stage presence, while ignoring the fact that the other members were great musicians and songwriters too.

Bruce Dickinson. His vocal delivery sometimes suffers live because he runs around so much.

Lemmy, although some may not strictly class him as a pure frontman. He's pretty much the ultimate in crude, coarse good bloke-ishness.

Fish of Marillion. He rips off Peter Gabriel sometimes..... but 80s Genesis had Phil Collins. :-(

I never got Dave Lee Roth at all. He's an average singer, and I think he's an absolute buffoon on stage. Oh well.

Beady Eye

Reaction score
I never got Dave Lee Roth at all. He's an average singer, and I think he's an absolute buffoon on stage. Oh well.

Well, he did attract thousands of girls to van Halen concerts who otherwise wouldn't listen to that music. He was successful solo with mediocre cover songs.
In order to get his charisma, you probably have to be a girl. :D

When he was still the lead singer of van Halen, I was a child and amazed by his jumps. Recently I watched a VH1-documentary about van Halen and got the full picture. His appearance on Letterman was iconic!

Concerning the "buffoon" remark: wasn't he actually rather moderate for his time and genre? Look at the other hair metal bands, Motley Crue's "little people" on stage was way more clownish than anything DLR ever did. He simply knew what the 80's girls were looking for and he delivered.

PS: Being successful without being overly talented is a clear indicator of charisma.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
I'm totally puzzled by Klaus Meine. It seems like Russians are more captivated by German singers than Germans. :D
You know, as Russian, I can say, that Russian's music taste is a bit different from American. For example, Scorpions, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Slade, Uriah Heep and Nazareth are MUCH more popular among rockers here, than Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Aerosmith, Journey, Guns'n'Roses, Foreigner, Motley Crue and Van Halen.
I think, if USSR (with all its prohibitions) hasn't ever been, the list of best selling artists would be absolutely different. Seriously, I'm not joking. :grinthumb

Last edited:

Beady Eye

Reaction score
You know, as Russian, I could say, that Russian's music taste is a bit different from American. For example, Scorpions, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Slade, Uriah Heep and Nazareth are MUCH more popular among rockers here, than Kiss, Aerosmith, Journey, Guns'n'Roses, Motley Crue and Van Halen. Seriously, I'm not joking. :grinthumb

I'm German and I love the stories that some German musicians tell about Russia. For instance, you guys are incredibly loyal fans of bands like "Modern Talking". Lead singer Dieter Bohlen told stories about still selling out concerts all over Russia.
I still thought it was hillarious that someone would consider Klaus Meine to be charismatic. Their most successful song "Winds of Change" couldn't cut it here in Germany against contemporary rival "Looking for Freedom" by David Hasselhoff. :D
Granted, the Scorpions are so much better musicians, but the Hoff is more charimastic than the leather-clone of Brian Johnson, no?

PS: You mentioned Slade. It's one of my love-hate bands. Sometimes I love their music, sometimes I skip every song because this leprechaun is screeching my ears off.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
You know Beady Eye, I think, that Klaus have many differences with Brian. If it's not about peaked cap :D, I can say, that Meine - is an intelligent gentleman with lyrical mood, a kind of romantic hero. And Brian - is a pretty vulgar, rude and hooligan'ish (in a good sense) blue-collar man from the outskirts (and of course, he's a very charismatic frontman too, I'm sure).

About Noddy Holder from Slade - a really love his scream voice. :heheh:

Beady Eye

Reaction score
You know Beady Eye, I think, that Klaus have many differences with Brian. If it's not about peaked cap :D, I can say, that Meine - is an intelligent gentleman with lyrical mood, a kind of romantic hero. And Brian - is a pretty vulgar, rude and hooligan'ish (in a good sense) blue-collar man from the outskirts (and of course, he's a very charismatic frontman too, I'm sure).

About Noddy Holder from Slade - a really love his scream voice. :heheh:

Here's some :wank: for you:

kami-modern-talking-DW-Vermischtes-Las-Vegas.jpg

For the rest of this forum: Those two strapping young lads are not Siegrid and Roy. They are Modern Talking, Germany's most successful musical export. They now formally belong to Russia.
Now that's charisma! :oyea:

On a more serious note:
During this discussion, I've seen a lot of changing, in the way you feel about me, and in the way I feel about you. In here, there were two guys killing each other, but I guess that's better than twenty million. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
Bready Eye, if someone wants to changes - he'll do it, no matter what. And note - rock'n'roll is a positive, uniting power. You're German and I'm Russian, and possibly, our ancestors were an enemies, but it has nothing to do with our generation. We are rockers, and nor Putin, nor Merkel never could take away it from us. :cheers2

Back to thread: Freddie Mercury is a charisma of 80's and that's it. :grinthumb

Beady Eye

Reaction score
Bready Eye, if someone wants to changes - he'll do it, no matter what. And note - rock'n'roll is a positive, uniting power. You're German and I'm Russian, and possibly, our ancestors were an enemies, but it has nothing to do with our generation. We are rockers, and nor Putin, nor Merkel never could take away it from us. :cheers2

Back to thread: Freddie Mercury is a charisma of 80's and that's it. :grinthumb

You didn't get the Rocky IV quote?? :oyea:

#Mercury
Dee Snider went full drag queen and people got the joke.
Mercury went full drag queen and people thought he was joking.
I don't know, but in my book Dee Snider wins.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online