Most charismatic lead singer of the 80s

Beady Eye

Reaction score
There's a "most energetic lead singer" topic, but that's an entirely different subject. Brian Johnson is more energetic than Bon Scott, but Bon is way more charismatic for instance. Bon Scott is not on this list because he unfortunately missed the 80s.

My top 10:
1. David Lee Roth: The greatest lead singer, period. He managed to attract more girls than guys to Van Halen-concerts cause every lady wanted to bear his children. DLR even managed to get by without Van Halen with mediocre pop songs and covers. He was so mesmerizing that it took me until 2001 to figure out that "California Girls" was a Beach Boys song...
2. Axl Rose: Revolutionized rock music. He single-handedly buried hair metal.
3. Bruce Springsteen: His most popular songs are from the 80's and he's without a doubt one of the biggest stars. I doubt that anyone even knows his fellow band members.
4. Freddie Mercury: Definitely benefits from his more talented band members and proper timing.
5. Dee Snider: Still popular today, his charisma outlived hair metal by three decades. He was Twisted Sister. Without him the band would haven been another Cinderella. *duck*
6. Dave Mustaine: Pretty, fragile and cerebral. This mixture makes him an underdog pick.
7. Jon Bon Jovi: Don't like him, but undeniable charisma.
8. Brett Michaels: Somewhat of a poor man's DLR.
9. Glenn Danzig: Diabolical and unique.
10. Dave Hetfield: Can't rank him higher because he depended too much on the handlebar and big hair. Unlike Bon Jovi his charisma didn't outlive his hairdo.

Folks like Mick Jagger and Steve Tyler are not on my list because their fame is not concentrated in the 80s.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
1. Freddie Mercury. Especially after triumph on Live Aid he's became main star of 80's, I think.

2. Ronnie James Dio. "Heaven And Hell", "Mob Rules", "Holy Diver", "The Last In Line", "Sacred Heart", "Dream Evil"... Nuff said. He was on the peak of his power in that decade.

3. Brian Johnson. After his appearance AC/DC have become an arena stars, and, of course, the monster of sales - "Back In Black".

4. Klaus Meine. He was on the Top too - with rockers and ballads from "Animal Magnetism", "Blackout", "Love At First Sting" and "Savage Amusement", sang by a ringing and clear voice - on of the most sensual and soulful voices in rock. Period.

5. Vince Neil. He wasn't a great vocalist, but he truly was a reference sample of hair-metal frontman.

6. Dee Snider. He was really witty and provocative singer. Moreover, all Twisted Sister's songs were written by only him, and their videos were most funniest clips of all that decade - Dee was a dangerous rock-star.

7. Bruce Dickinson. Success of five 100% classic Maiden's albums from 80's, and their superstar status - largely merit of their atomic energetic frontman.

8. Brian Howe. Many Bad Co's fans didn't took him as Rodgers replacer, but the truth is in the fact, that with him on vocals the band have become a main AOR-stars (side by side with Foreigner and Journey).

9. Joe Elliott. Flagman of Leppard's golden age, what to say.

10. Steve Perry. Journey's blossoming, stadiums, tons of hits, million sales - without his stratospheric voice and charisma, such a success wouldn't be possible.

Beady Eye

Reaction score
I'm totally puzzled by Klaus Meine. It seems like Russians are more captivated by German singers than Germans. :D
I never saw more than a straight-haired version of Brian Johnson in him clad in leather instead of cotton.

Dio IMHO doesn't have the looks. It's like when Eddie van Halen tried to be the frontman and people had to convince him that he's just not the proper material.
Dee Snider on the other hand is the right kind of ugly and plain awesome.

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Dio
Dickinson
Halford
Ozzy
Mustaine may be pretty but fragile he has never been.
Lemmy
Malcolm Messiah
Danzig
Tate
Chuck Billy

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member