Morphine (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
PageImage-403223-1648563-morphine_1.jpg

morphine_france_l.jpgmorphine.jpg

I'm far from an expert on this band but I've always liked what I've heard from them. A friend introduced them to me in high school and the mix of Jazz with Alternative really worked to create something I hadn't heard before. I'm not a huge Jazz fan but these guys made it accessible to me. There is a wide range of instruments used in this band and it's very sax heavy. Like the title Morphine it's got a slow brooding sound mixed with that Jazz.

The original lead singer/bassist Mark Sandman died of a heart attack after collapsing on stage during a gig in 1999. The remaining members created Orchestra Morphine to continue celebrating the music and raise money for the Mark Sandman Music Education Fund! Here are some tracks I dig from them:

All Wrong/Whisper

Honey White

Cure For Pain

The Saddest Song

So any other fans, especially those who can expand on my limited knowledge, feel free to contribute and chime in on this band! :grinthumb

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Re: Morphine

I don't know a whole lot about them either, but I really like them. It is really tough to make a unique sound in the realm of rock and roll, and they really pulled it off. It is unfortunate that Mark Sandman passed away such a young man.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You're right though I still find music fresh whether it reinvents the wheel or not. When I was introduced to it I was just happy that I found something that was similar to Jazz I could enjoy. One thing about this band especially after digging them up again is that I think that they are cool in small doses but because of their droll, depressive tone I'm not sure if I could listen to them regularly. Very talented though and definitely to bad they had to end so early due to the singers death! :( Glad to find a fan though Gearjammer! :grinthumb

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

Yeah, I don't think I could spin their discs repeatedly like I do others, but nice addition to a mixed disc.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score

This is an incredible band in my opinion. It's sad how Mark Sandman went out...Rest In Peace Mark!

Too bad the youtube police are all over this band. Listen While you can, but better yet, If you are a jazz fan...check them out!

You Look Like Rain

YES

Have A Lucky Day

Early To Bed

Thursday!!!! (One of my Fave Morphine tracks..check out the bass!)

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Hey Phil, thanks for reviving and contributing to this thread! :cheers2

I listened to all the tracks and I definitely agree on "Thursday" being a great track! :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online