Molly Hatchet (Official Thread)

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
its weird as having only in the last 2/3yrs have I pick up on this great band.

Do you own any of their albums and if so, which ones?

I've already stated my opinion on this band, new and old, earlier in this thread, but I'll gladly repeat that they have always been and will remain one of my favourite bands, not just in southern rock.

They plan to release a new live and studio album this year, which is making me very excited!

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Do you own any of their albums and if so, which ones?

I've already stated my opinion on this band, new and old, earlier in this thread, but I'll gladly repeat that they have always been and will remain one of my favourite bands, not just in southern rock.

They plan to release a new live and studio album this year, which is making me very excited!

yes its a 5cd box set the first five albums

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Some sad news from the Molly Hatchet camp:

Molly Hatchet bassist, Banner Thomas passed away this morning. From 1978 - 1983, Banner played on the first four MH albums, including the hit Flirtin' With Disaster. He left the band and was replaced by Riff West, also deceased, who played on the next 5 albums. Tim Lindsey has been the bassist for nearly fifteen years and continues to carry the torch forward. Our prayers and condolences extent to Banners family and friends. RIP

R.I.P. Banner! :uh:

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
I ran across this. I had to laugh.
I love it. I've never been able to muster much sympathy for rock stars. They get driven around the country in a bedroom on wheels and go to work a couple hours a day. And get to do drugs and drink themselves silly and then complain about a "nightmare descent into booze and drugs".
Give me a break! It's refreshing to hear someone say "no it was a blast!"

JACKSONVILLE, FL—The nation's celebrity-biography industry is reeling following Monday's admission by former Molly Hatchet rhythm guitarist Billy Joe Reeves that the rock band's so-called "nightmare descent into booze, sex and drugs" at the height of its late-'70s popularity was "actually not all that nightmarish at all."

"In the summer of 1979, Molly Hatchet was on top of the world. We'd just completed a sold-out tour opening for the likes of Bob Seger and Cheap Trick, and our sophomore effort, Flirtin' With Disaster, was a hit with audiences and critics alike," Reeves told Peter Briley, host of the daytime cable-access talk show Jacksonville Community Voices. "Almost overnight, we were big stars, and things started getting out of control: drugs, alcohol and constant anonymous sex with teenage groupies."

When asked if the experience had been a living hell, a nightmare descent into booze, sex and drugs that almost cost him his life, Reeves stunned Briley with his answer.

"I really wouldn't call it 'nightmarish,' per se, no," Reeves said. "In fact, it was really ******* great. Lord almighty."

Reeves' admission has set off shockwaves within music-bio circles, sharply defying many long-held assumptions about the high price of fame.

"This revelation has stirred up no end of controversy in virtually every corner of the country's $4.2 billion pseudodocumentary industry," said VH1 Behind The Music producer Doug Farelli. "If what this man is saying is true, the very foundation of everything we have come to believe about the celebrity rise-fall-redemption arc may be suspect."

Said E! True Hollywood Story producer Ellen Donovan: "One has to ask: If the excesses of fame are not, in fact, the living hell we have come to believe they are, what else is untrue? What about the heartwarming happy ending, when, after losing all their money, they go clean, settle down and start over again with a better life? Are we to believe that's all just some terrible lie, too?"

During his headline-grabbing interview with Briley, Reeves insisted that sudden fame and fortune did not result in deep inner turmoil and suffering on the part of Molly Hatchet's members, slowly tearing them apart until the band collapsed under the weight of its members' tortured self-destruction. Rather, Reeves said, the struggle, heartache and pain didn't kick in until well after the band had peaked.

"To be honest, if anything, it was the nightmare descent into a lack of booze, sex and drugs that really hurt," said Reeves, who has worked at his brother-in-law's bait shop since leaving Molly Hatchet in 1986. "The excesses of fame were just fine, thank you very much. It was the non-excesses of non-fame that were the hard part."

Jimmy Gaines, a back-up percussionist with Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1977 to 1981, agreed.

"The booze, the sex, the drugs... Those are three great things, and I miss them all terribly," Gaines told MTV News' Kurt Loder during a special investigative report on the controversy Tuesday. "As a matter of fact, I'm looking forward to starting up a second, brand-new nightmare descent into all that stuff just as soon as I can manage it."

Despite the stir his remarks have created, Reeves is not backing down.

"Come on, I'd be high as a kite, a joint in one hand and a fifth of Jack Daniels in the other, and all I had to do was play the first four bars of 'Whiskey Man' and the panties would start dropping," said Reeves, eyeing with wistful longing the Frank Frazetta painting of a battle-axe-wielding barbarian on the cover of 1980's Beatin' The Odds. "And you're asking if it filled me with a gnawing emptiness and despair I couldn't escape? Hell, no. Those days with Danny Joe, Duane, Bruce, Dave and Banner were pretty much the best thing that ever happened to this here good ol' boy, and that's a fact."

OK fine. It's the onion.
I still love it.
https://entertainment.theonion.com/molly-hatchets-nightmare-descent-into-booze-sex-drugs-1819565388

Last edited:

Bigdawg62

Reaction score
An excellent band I have all their albums First came across them with the free lp given with sounds magazine in 79. It was a sampler and if I remember correctly the mh track was boogie no more.we used to do to a rock pub in Sheffield called the wapentake I can't remember how to spell it They played this album We would rock out.
And in December we get to see them again in Sheffield I'll be travelling a couple of hundred miles for that one

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
@Mr Mojo Risin has been my inspiration for visiting my southern rock roots and giving some Molly Hatchet albums a listen.

first up:

IMG_0387.jpeg

Gypsy Trail

One Last Ride

this album isn’t bad. It has a more “country” feel than earlier Molly Hatchet albums. Phil McCormack as vocalist is a satisfactory replacement for Danny Joe Brown. McCormack is also a principal song writer who came from a country band called RoadDucks, which is likely where the country influences are coming from.
RIP McCormack.

Budweiser Beer by RoadDucks. :roflmao:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online