Molly Hatchet (Official Thread)

E-Z

Reaction score
Sorry dude's i just couldn't ever take to this band way to much guitar army heavy boring songs plus macho hairy southern-fried cowboy biker image way down south in da badlands :uh:

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
I've seen them a bunch of times. First time opening for Triumph in 1985. Then in Germany around 1990. Last time was during Bike Week here in Myrtle Beach a few years ago and they were an hour late going on stage. But that's neither here nor there. They are one of the best Southern rock bands period. I read an interview with Ed King who said southern rock died the day Molly Hatchet came out. What a load of crap. I'll put Molly Hatchet's first two albums agaainst any Skynyrd album. I can't stand Skynyrd these days. And Rick Medlocke should go back to Blackfoot!

Here's a couple of my faves from the early days:

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Not sure I even know who Ed King is but I agree Molly Hatchet's first few albums were very good. Sox just saw them recently I think, seems like everyone who ever put out a record stops in his neighborhood to play and share a pint.:D

Fever

Reaction score
Ed King is a guitarist and was in Strawberry Alarm Clock and Lynyrd Skynyrd. He joined the band as the bass player when Leon Wilkeson left but switched to guitar when Wilkeson rejoined the band. He co-wrote Sweet Home Alabam,Saturday Night Special,Workin' For MCA,Swamp Music and a few others.He left the band in 1975 and was replaced by Steve Gaines.

He rejoined the band in 1987 and left again to due congestive heart failure in 1996 .I read that he left with the understanding he could return when he was healthy but that never happened.

E-Z

Reaction score
Ed King still alive?. Ed was 'overweight' way back in 1971.

You always had the feeling that Gary Rossington would be the 'last man standing' in Skynyrd he always had that look about him.

Yeah it's a bit of a 'copout' having Ricky Medlock in the band playing guitar drums maybe?.

Molly Hatchet have there own 'hardcore' following they always had strange album covers though rather 'heavy metal' looking rather then wot you would expect from a Southern-fried blues/rock band :D

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^Not sure I even know who Ed King is but I agree Molly Hatchet's first few albums were very good. Sox just saw them recently I think, seems like everyone who ever put out a record stops in his neighborhood to play and share a pint.:D

:heheh: I didn't have a pint with them but they did stroll around the venue afterwards chatting to folk, great band, great music, top people. :cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online