Wow/Grape Jam (1968)
Wow/Grape Jam (1968)
Truly Fine Citizen (1969)
20 Granite Creek (1971)
Omaha (1971)
Great Grape (1973)
Fine Wine (1976)
Live Grape (1978)
Moby Grape '84 San Francisco Sound (1984)
Murder in My Heart[44] (1986)
Legendary Grape (1989)
Vintage: The Very Best of Moby Grape (1993)
Legendary Grape (2003)
Crosstalk: The Best of Moby Grape (2004)
Listen My Friends! The Best of Moby Grape (2007)
The Place and the Time (2009)
Moby Grape Live (2010)

Take two ex-Jefferson Airplne members and add a bit of Grateful Dead influence and you get Moby Grape.

Some sad old dude on his last legs gave me an old box with a 1/4" tape, and this is what it turned out to be. The note said to pass it on if I wanted to, so here it is

I'm thinking that "sad old dude" was Spenser Dryden--former Jefferson Airplane drummer and Moby Grape guitarist after his drug days breakdown.

This is really good blues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Re: Moby Grape

From Wikipedia ~

Where they are now

Homeless for years and suffering from long-term mental illness, alcoholism and a multitude of health ailments, Skip Spence nonetheless experienced a marked improvement in his domestic life in his later years before passing away of lung cancer in 1999, days before his 53rd birthday.

Of the four surviving band members, two still play regularly. Jerry Miller as a solo artist and as a member of the Jerry Miller Band. In 2003 Jerry ranked at #68 in Rolling Stone's "Top 100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time", remarkable for a guitar player who never reached stardom. Peter Lewis released a wonderful debut cd in 1995 and forms an acoustic duo with David West (released Live in Bremen, 2003). Lewis also spent three years (2000-2003) as a guitarist with the reformed Electric Prunes, contributing to the band's Artifact album (2002). Bob Mosley's relocation to the Santa Cruz area has been noteworthy for weekly guest appearances with veteran country artist Larry Hosford, a stalwart of the Santa Cruz music scene, and in occasional duos with ex-Doobie Brothers keyboardist Dale Ockerman.

Don Stevenson, who has rejoined Moby Grape for occasional performances, has developed business interests outside of the music industry, including time share sales of recreational property in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada, where he maintains a residence.

Moby Grape continues to perform occasionally, performing with core members Jerry Miller, Bob Mosley and Peter Lewis, and in such incarnations as with Skip Spence's son Omar joining on vocals and Jerry Miller's son Joseph on drums. New recording commenced in 2009, following the release of The Place and the Time, a well-received collection of demos, outtakes, alternate versions and otherwise unreleased material from the band's 1960s recording period. In 2010, Don Stevenson, Jerry Miller and Omar Spence performed at the South by Southwest music festival, while Peter Lewis appeared separately

joe

Reaction score

One of the best releases of 1967.

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score

I got their first album a few years ago, I agree that it was one of the strongest releases of 1967 (which is one of my favorite years in music, so that's saying a lot!)

I just got their greatest hits compilation "Listen My Friends" about a month ago...all the songs on it are in chronological order. It starts out great, but unfortunately the last couple of songs don't really compare to their earlier stuff. (your mileage may vary)

A great, great band though...undeservedly obscure these days.

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score

I am addicted to San Fran scene, so I love this band, too. Their first album is brilliant and the "Wow!" isn't bad, too :D Glad to hear they're still kicking :)

Zombeels

Reaction score

Although their self titled album gets most of the recognition I like 69 the best.

69.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online