Moby Grape (Official Thread)

noodlez

Reaction score
Re: Moby Grape

Love their debut and a few songs of each of their other albums. Some of my favorite lesser-known songs of theirs are "Horse Out in the Rain", "Seeing" and "Murder in My Heart for the Judge".

some trivia:
The original members had a reunion (minus Skip) in the late 80s or early 90s under the guise of the Melvilles after they got sued for releasing it as Moby Grape (they don't own any rights to their songs or band name). They released an album on cassette only which was then remastered and released on CD as Legendary Grape.

Robert Plant covered one of their songs as "Skip's Song" on the album Dreamland.

Three Dog Night covered "I Got Murder in my Heart for the Judge" also.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

One of the best '60s San Francisco bands from the psychedelic scene. I love how they mixed folk, blues, country, with good ol' rock & roll. A very talented bunch...

I have the following Moby Grape albums, which is most of them...

Moby Grape (1967)
Wow/Grape Jam (1968)
Moby Grape '69 (1969)
Truly Fine Citizen (1969/70)

Their debut self-titled album is a must have classic.

2623-moby-grape-moby-grape-1967.jpg

LIVE from the Monterey Pop Festival (1967), here's ''Indifference", "Sitting by the Window" & "Omaha"...

joe

Reaction score

Holy S@#*, Mike Douglas. Him and Merv Griffin are part of the definition of the '70's.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I listened to the S/T album and I'm surprised I haven't seen Eberg in this thread! It's sound right up his alley! :heheh: I'm listening again and more things are starting to formulate but it's so laid back and subtle you have to listen closer to absorb it. I hear a lot of CCR (who I love) but without the same energy. When I listen for the soul elements I appreciate more. The other change was the songs are so short and going from a Joe list until now I almost forgot the 60's contained a lot of short (under three minutes) songs! :lmao: I'm not going to lie, I prefer pure Soul (the most tainted genre now IMO) rather than a fusion but I appreciated this as well and it got me moving. I also feel similar element to The Byrds but I could be way off base. Here are the standout tracks to me:

Come In The Morning
(a real motown feel here, a sunny song with the most pure soul vocal on the album IMO)

I liked the intro to "Omaha" but didn't get much special from the rest.

Indifference
(I get the impression this a song that killed live, It seems to be the one where everyone was on! The vocals were lively (Some real Fogerty towards the last half) and I love the vocal interplay, the harmonies were tight and it was a cool blues jam that kept me involved throughout)

One thing I've got to say is I hate the name! :heheh: That may have kept me a way all this time! :lmao:

joe

Reaction score

Soot, this album represents so many sounds of '67. Rock, psych, country, soul, blues, folk, jazz, all rolled into one album. I find the short songs very refreshing with the contrast of musical styles and sounds.

A blend of The Jefferson Airplane and The Byrds are probably the best way to describe the sound of the band to somebody who hasn't heard the album. If there is one complaint I do have is it is a little laid back. Somebody expecting wild psych will be disappointed.

I always loved the name and thier logo.

mobygrape_logo1.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Still don't like the name! Well at least my Byrd's comparison wasn't off the mark! :lmao: I also thought it was too laid back so I'm glad you confer with me on that one! :grinthumb Not bad but regardless of importance for it's time it's the one that translates the least to me out of all the album picks I've checked out of yours so far. It may have been doomed the second I read The Grateful Dead comparison though in the OP! :lmao: I kid, I kid! :D

joe

Reaction score

I'm not big on the Dead either. Those extended "jams" are too long-winded for my taste. Sadly the band took this route on thier next album, Grape Jam. One of the biggest disappointments for me after a fantastic debut. That's probably why the comparison.

mattquarterstein

Autumn Wanderer
Reaction score

They rock quite thoroughly, and I think it's a good thing that this thread hasn't slid off the front page of the 1960s rock page. :grinthumb

Poor Skip, I must say.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online