Metallica to get 'Nobel Prize of music'

Frands

Reaction score
metalica-770x470_21670_11.jpg

BBC 14 February 2018

Heavy metal pioneers Metallica are being honoured with Sweden's Polar Prize, one of the most prestigious awards in music.

The band, best known for 1991's Black Album, redefined the sound of metal with a tougher, faster and more abrasive take on rock.

Polar Prize organisers said the US band could transform "a teenage bedroom into a Valhalla".

Metallica will receive their £90,000 prize in Stockholm this June.

They're the first metal band to win the award, which has previously gone to the likes of Paul McCartney, Joni Mitchell, Chuck Berry and BB King - and is regularly called the "Nobel Prize of music".

The judges' citation for the band is worth reading in its entirety:

"The 2018 Polar Music Prize is awarded to the American band Metallica. Not since Wagner's emotional turmoil and Tchaikovsky's cannons has anyone created music that is so physical and furious, and yet still so accessible. Through virtuoso ensemble playing and its use of extremely accelerated tempos, Metallica has taken rock music to places it had never been before. In Metallica's world, both a teenage bedroom and a concert hall can be transformed into a Valhalla. The strength of the band's uncompromising albums has helped millions of listeners to transform their sense of alienation into a superpower."

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43049190

____

E-Z

Reaction score
Is this some kinda joke???.

Have the judges heard St Anger??.

£90.000?. That's chicken s**t money for those dudes!!.

E-Z

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
St Anger is just one bad album and in fairness better than a lot of other band's worst shit. lol
Although I hate the album I get the context behind it too.

Well deserved accolade to Metallica on this award.

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
St Anger is just one bad album and in fairness better than a lot of other band's worst shit. lol
Although I hate the album I get the context behind it too.

Well deserved accolade to Metallica on this award.
Well to be fair to Metallica those guy's have worked hard over the 35+ years to get to where they are.

I still like Kill Em All & ... And Justice For All and still occasionally listen to them both.

E-Z

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
''The band, best known for 1991's Black Album, redefined the sound of metal with a tougher, faster and more abrasive take on rock.''

I have to dispute this. Tougher, faster? Hell no. Black album was not even a fast album. Its a great album but to say faster is absurd. I'd say all their first 4 albums are faster and heavier takes on rock.

Reactions: E-Z

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Typical butt kiss to the band with the most record sells. It's what all mainstream music awards are about and although Metallica certainly deserve credit for helping to define Thrash Metal they were definitely not alone in innovating that sound...cough ..Dave Mustaine...cough ..cough...among others. Yet they are always given lone credit by the mainstream but not by the Thrash bands themselves....cough..cough..OK you get it.
While I do understand Metallicas great importance to Thrash and music in general I still feel they are the most overrated band ever.
First four were and are still amazing. ..love Garage Re-Revisited .
Important band obviously but a bit too over heralded, IMO.
But record sells are what the business is about, NOT art.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Typical butt kiss to the band with the most record sells. It's what all mainstream music awards are about and although Metallica certainly deserve credit for helping to define Thrash Metal they were definitely not alone in innovating that sound...cough ..Dave Mustaine...cough ..cough...among others. Yet they are always given lone credit by the mainstream but not by the Thrash bands themselves....cough..cough..OK you get it.
While I do understand Metallica great importance to Thrash and music in general I still they are the most overrated band ever.
First four were and are still amazing. ..love Garage Re-Revisited .
Important band obviously but a bit too over heralded, IMO.
But record sells are what the business is about, NOT art.

I love Metallica but I actually agree with this a lot. Metallica like several other bands get given too much credit for movements to the point that everyone else is lesser known in comparison or dismissed. Bands like Venom were around well before Metallica same with Celtic Frost who helped invent the thrash sound. Even as a gateway band Metallica get far too much credit. My problem isn't with giving them credit, its with not giving other bands the same accolades .

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online